Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are tons of movies waiting to be shown

cinexpert

The low-budget sci-fi B movies that most of us grew up watching and loving. Too many to be listed. Long unseen gems like The Hideous Sun Demon, Horror Hotel, Caltiki, the Immortal Monster, KRONOS and on and on and on. What about the imported mexican horror gems of K. Gordon Murray like Invasion of the Vampires, The Bloody Vampire, The Vampires Coffin, The Brainiac and others? Why isn`t TCM showing all these and more? Simple! For the same reason that most of the cartoons and science fiction programs we all grew up watching on TV 35+ years ago are absolutely nowhere to be found on basic cable. Because showing the programs and movies that you and I grew up with and have not seen for DECADES would undermine the DVD market, that`s why! The cable networks like to pretend that no television programming existed at all before 1980 and that all of our fondest childhood memories consist of watching manure like The Love Boat, Soap and Fantasy Island. They know, believe me, they know they`re not putting on the stuff we really want to see.

I don't agree with your theory. I think they don't show up on television because they assume that not enough people want to see them. I don't think any station is going to forgo ratings to protect the DVD market, and getting the rights for those films can't be all that expensive.

But it does annoy me the way seemingly every media outlet in the western world caters to people who are in their teens and twenties. High television ratings from people outside those groups are almost completely ignored by the tv decision makers. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I have to add that I remember watching low-budget sci-fi and horror when I was a kid, but unless I'm in the mood for them (at Halloween for example), I don't have any particular desire to see them again. My taste tends to run towards old (30's-40's) B pictures, especially mysteries. Those don't get shown on television either (except occasionally on TCM), and very few of them are on DVD, so no one's trying to protect that DVD market.

There are lots of these B movies from the 30's & 40's but they are on during the day during the week. Of course, I understand why they don't show them at night. Most people have some way to record these gems--just check the schedule and record away. I know I watch all day long, usually, and see tons of stuff that people talk about that "they never show."

So movies that I have not seen on TV for more than 35 years are not being shown because nobody who is running american television thinks that anyone wants to see them again? Sure. Maybe everyone over the age of 40 is suffering from Alzheimers too. How long have you been watching television? I was a couch potato long before the term was ever invented. I have been watching TV for well over 40 years and I am speaking from personal experience. My life has been one of watching television degenerate from what it was THEN to what it is NOW. I know what I know.

I agree 100% that it seems many, many grade B horror/fantasy/sci-fi films that were shown on television during the 1960's into the very early 1970's haven't been seen on TV in decades. And this is a shame. Even though they were made on a shoe string budget, they're fun to watch. Also, over the past four or five years TCM seems to air about 100 of the 5000 or so films they have rights to. In the early days of TCM they would air, for example, the rarely seen 1929 film "It's a Great Life", "Spring is Here" from 1930 and many other early talkies. I haven't seen these on TCM in at least 8 years. I know they will be airing "Golden Dawn" from 1930; but other than that it seems to be the same old stuff. Hitchcock films are great; however I'm tired of seeing "Vertigo", "Psycho", etc.

TCM's going to run Golden Dawn? When? I've been waiting for that one. Remember The Show of Shows? I don't think they've shown that one for awhile.

I've got some 2,000 TCM movies on tape and catalogued---I could probably run a long list of films 1929-33 that are in the library that TCM cannot or will not find time to air. I knew there was a reason for recording all those movies---they may never show up again. ;)

I still appreciate TCM (the class of Cable!) a lot but I do think they've changed their scheduling philosophy in recent years to favor the warhorses.

<>

Huh??? I have been recording movies from TCM for the past 3 years and I have over 3000 DVDs.......all different films......and I don't usually record the stuff after 1960.........I think you're only watching at 8pm on weekends!

TCM is the only channel that plays in my home.....(well...sometimes Fox Movies Channel).......and I must admit I'm proud to say that I haven't seen one minute, nor even a preview of "Desperate Housewives" !!!

Tom

Cinexpert,

Many of those low budget sci-fi and horror films from the 1950s and the 1960s were made by small "Gower Gulch" type studios that barely had two pennies to rub together. 99% of those small companies no longer exist. What happened to the films? Do they exist in the vaults of bigger studios now or are they gathering dust in warehouses around Los Angeles because the companies went out of business and no one thinks they are worth anything.

You would be amazed at the number of films and negatives thrown out over the years by the families of the men and women who made those films. When they died, very often their children didn't know what to do with all the stuff. As this was before Ebay, alot of it went to Goodwill/Salvation Army stores, local movie buffs or was sold off at estate sales for pennies.

Unless the films had a cult following or a larger studio was interested in possibly remaking it, many of those films are not available for TV broadcast or DVD.

> Tomagain, unbelievable that tcm airs only 100 of the

> 5000 titles it has, as you stated. That's been my

> contention.

Checking my collection of DVDs that I have recorded over the last 16 months from TCM (excluding non-TCM DVDs), I count 2,235 DVDs. Comparing my DVD database with the posted November 2005 schedule, I count 124 movies that I don't have out of the 377 unique movies scheduled. For the December schedule, the number is 125 out of 375. In January, it jumps to 170 out of 423. In February in declines to 88 out of 326.

The numbers are a little off due to the non-feature movies in the schedule (cartoons, festivals of shorts, etc), but overall the key word is "unbelivable" :)

Tom, Alex, I applaud your comments - my DVD collection, too, is huge, thanks primarily to TCM. Yes, there are repeats - we hear about it ad naseum. I wish, myself, that there weren't quite so many - but they do what they can, for the most part and all we can do is suggest - and suggest - and sometimes, suggest some more. Whining and complaining (no, I'm not referring to anything specifically when I say that) in general doesn't do any good and I don't think the programmer even bothers reading that type of thing. Everyone can always do better and currently TCM is the BEST, bar none, and I'm sure trying to improve all the time. Thanks TCM for the great job!