Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unusal Gaffe for TCM Copywriters

yanceycravat

Even TCM can get it wrong once in a while...

Tonight during the several announcements for The Lodger the folks who read the announcements kept saying Ramon Navarro as staring in The Lodger instead of Ivor Novello.

I was surprised no one caught that before air time.

Yancey...

I am rather depressed! This is the second time TCM has aired a decidedly slow moving, (wrong projection speed), moldy, looking old print of this movie! Much better prints do in-fact exist, believe me!

Several years ago, AMC showed a color-tinted, virtually pristine looking edition of THE LODGER (1927), and a friend of mine over sea's, has told me a very good print has aired in the UK! A print which is likely owned by the BFI (British Film Institute).Apparently, TCM can not get it's hands on that print, as the broadcast rights must be tied up by someone else? Very disappointing, to say the least!

Oh, well at least TCM is able to air the finest prints available of both NOSFERATU (1922), and Lon Chaney's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925). This was not always the case! Never the less, I sincerely do hope sometime this other matter is finally cleared up?

I;m sorry to hear there's a much better print of this film ou there.

The print shown tonight is better than the LASERLITE DVD print I have but now I'm eager to see the tinted print you wrote of.

TCM did mention some months back that it was going to show CHAMPAGNE, one of the few Hitchcocks not in my library, but it was pulled for some reason. That was a disappointment.

Too bad they can't get the rights to the German Version of MURDER! That'd be cool to see.

Someday perhaps.

Thanks for the info...

Yancey

I have no way of knowing if this happened, of course, but there have also been more than a few times that the TCM Programmer's have ordered a specific print from someone in good faith, and then been sent a different print of lessor quality. At that point, they are really between a hard spot and a rock. Do they alter the programming and upset certain viewers by showing a different film, or do they air what was sent to them, and upset viewers who were also expecting to see the best possible print available? Given the vast amount of movies they bring to us every month, and many of them for the first time, there are bound to be little gaffe's and occasional glitches, and not all of them have even been in TCM's control. How about we cut them a little slack sometimes? (wink) ML

I remember watching a very good copy of this film ("The Lodger") some 10 years ago on "Bravo" network, and maybe it was British owned, 'cuz they air a lot of Bristish films sometimes,

Sadly, on TCM Latin, there are NO Silents scheduled....

I agree there seems to be a lot of TCM bashing as of late.

I wasn't bashing them with my original post about the Ramon Navarro - Ivor Novello gaffe. I was just surprised to see them get something wrong.

I love TCM and actually watch it more than any other channel.

Yancey