Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thief of Bagdad (1924)...DVD vs. VHS

icedout154

I was wondering, is it true that the Thief of BagdadDVD is shorter than the video because a huge scene was cut out? I read the reviews on Amazon.com and one person pointed out that the DVD version run of 139 opposed to the VHS (which is 155 min.) "is not due to DVD faster frame rate, but rather because the DVD version has had a huge portion of the film cut for no obvious reason."

They said, "At one point, the Hero (Fairbanks) has fulfilled the prophecy of the princess and has been the first to touch the rose-tree, the next minute he is seen explaining to her (in an intimate scene) that he is not what he seems. Having seen the VHS a number of times, I can confirm that the DVD version has been brutally cut. Do not buy the DVD version, as it is a let-down with those scenes missing; thus the reason for my one star, which would otherwise have been 4 1/5 (5 stars with the Rimsky Korsakov soundtrack). You have been warned!"

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to end up buying the DVD version not knowing that a big scene was cut out. If so what scene was cut out?

• 4 weeks later...

The Thief of Baghdad is one of my favorite silent dramas their are several versions available from a number of different companies, Image, Kino Nostalgia Family video to name A few. The old HBO video version which consisted Kevin Brownlow/David Gill restoration and master composer Carl Davis superb orchestral score was by far the best. I was suprised to learn when the Gaylord Carter Wurlitzer Organ Kino version first came out that the HBO had been missing seems brief footage here and there. Yet I still contend this was the best version for home video yet produced! Do some research as to what is out there before deciding on a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...