Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you had a say in Overall Programming what would you do?

yanceycravat

OK, other than the continuing debate over which movies should be shown I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas they'd like to see TCM programmers implement.

Here are some of mine.

1) The Trailer shown before the actual movie. (I think they used to do that.)

2) Once a month - An evening at the movies where a trailer, a cartoon, a short, a B movie and the feature are shown. At the end of the night they pick a viewers name at random and give away a set of the DVD's they're hawking that month. (Instead of dishes like the old days!)

3) A monthly TCM poll where they put up five really rare and obscure movie choices on the website so people can vote as to which one shows at the end of the month. Each registered member can only vote once!

4) A night of "Things that will never see the light of day". An hour or two once a month devoted to incomplete films, outakes and other obscure bits of film that will never be released on home video.

Your thoughts?

Yancey Cravat

Scheduling of originals and their remakes (ie: "The Awful Truth" (there are three versions plus a musical remake in the 1950's), "Shop Around the Corner", "Holiday", "Craig's Wife", "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Show Boat" et al). I Think it has been done before, but it would be fun to see more "back to back to back....features".

More intros by Robert Osborne. He's the most amusing and knowledgeable of them all. On the same level as Leonard Maltin.

More Pre-Codes and Silents.

And what can I say Yancey, the four ideas are great!

nice ideas, Yancey. I had lunch with Sabra the other day and she hopes you are not out wandering again. don't forget to tend to the newspaper. perhaps you can suggest TCM show the 1929 THE LETTER. and premiere a pristine print of PORGY AND BESS '59 to put an end to the absurd ebayers playing around with that movie. I am certain the people at TCM could convince the Gershwin estate that it is better to let the film be seen as it should be rather than in absurd dupes with horrible color and worse sound. It won an Oscar for sound recording.

Also:

TCM logo is not too bad, but once at the beginning and the middle would be enough. it is distracting to me.

re: idea of remakes being shown back to back with original. most remakes are not up to the originals but still fun to see. Had a chance to see THE BIRDS AND THE BEES. Certainly no THE LADY EVE, but not as bad as its reputation. I was told Sturges was in on the remake script. Wonder why the great line cracked by Coburn: "that's the problem with young people today. They don't respect their elders" was not in this version. Needs a true tech print though to be tolerable.

And, Hi again, Yancy....I intended to mention, and blew it, that several of us here have also been asking TCM to give us a "Saturday Matinee" special once a month, complete with a double-feature, a cartoon, and even a Serial....just like we used to see when we went to the movies on Saturday's as kids. Well, yes, some of us are older than dirt, but geez...those Matinee's were fun! ML

LOL tom!

BTW, you may not have noticed that you can edit your own posts now, to correct such times that you forget to use the spell check;-) You just have to view your own post and click on one of the two icons (hard to describe, it's got a pen on it) in the top right area, left of Reply.

Try it, I just did (so the text below, "edited by", has been added). You can also choose NOT to have the text added below, though I think we should (at least for the first edit) for other's sake.

Message was edited by:

path40a

classicsfan1119 -

Thanks for the support. I would like to see more of Robert Osborne as well. I really think he's such a great presence for the channel.

I guess because TCM seems more like a homey place to be than other channels and I'd like to see more welcoming programs other than just showing the movies themselves.

TCM is a fun place to spend the day and I think more programming as I have described will only add to that feeling.

Many thanks folks,

Yancey

I liked Bob Dorian too though I like Osborne more.

I liked when Dorian went to the old theatres. There's a lot of history there. That would be cool.

Never liked REMEMBER WENN though. Never seemed authentic to me. Too much of it seemed like some kid's idea of what OLD TIME RADIO was all about.

No, my taste for TCM would not run toward original scripted programs like REMEMBER WENN. That was the beginning of the end of AMC. Just stick to movies and the celebration of them.

Yancey

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

yancy,

I'm one of the people ML mentioned thar was plugging for a Saturday Matinee.Your ideas certainly merit consideration. Concerning coming attractions,they were part of the lineup for the coming week..A typical Saturday usually started with the previews.Next came the cartoon. A serial chapter followed.Then a western[Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,Hopalong Cassidy etc] was shown, concluding with a mystery or thriller[Charlie Chan etc].. The weekly menu was a bit different with a newsreel substituted for the serial.One suggestion I would make is to show some of those b westerns on Saturday instead of the A westerns that they now show.

kenwalk04 -

Great idea. Why not have both?

Saturday Matinee and something as well for the late nite crowd. Both would be nice.

Doesn't have to be every Saturday, I think once a month might be nice. Same for a nite time version.

You know you could certainly look up an old paper and see what might be playing that week in say 1935 or 1943.

Thanks,

Yancey

I agree. Dorian was always so cool. And frankly a bit more affable than Osborne.However, no host takes dominance over what is being shown AND right here is where TCM falls short; actually most if not ALL cabel sufferes from same showing of same films over & over. Yes I know a station must have viewing rights - so? Acquire them. It may cost a few dollars, well, that is the price and cost of doing business.

As for tcm, I still wish they'd lose all 'things' from early 20th century. They've been seen and done already. From a teaching standpoint much MORE can be gleamed from eyeing a John Huston film.

Hey, you did ask what I'd do --Well?????

better post while I can. I would like to see a series of COLUMBIA programmers (AKA to some as film noir) from the 1950s such as THE LONG HAUL, WICKED AS THEY COME, PORT AFRIQUE, MIAMI EXPOSE, FIVE AGAINST THE HOUSE and the rarely seen JOE MACBETH with Paul Douglas and Ruth Roman.

That month of films never on video someone suggested would be fun, too. could be dedicated to ebay dupers and called RARE RARE RARE. VERY RARE. Shrink wrapped. 8 out of 10. do not expect DVD quality and you will be pleased. looks good for an old movie. comes in a plain black case. no artwork. if you want artwork bid elsewhere (that is my all time favorite ebay put down). LOL

leobertucelli -

You wrote...

"As for tcm, I still wish they'd lose all 'things' from early 20th century. They've been seen and done already... Hey, you did ask what I'd do --Well????? "

My reply...

Gulp! I did ask but that's a scary thought!

Some of my favorite movies are from the 1930's. If a student can't learn something from watching a silent film or an early talkie I guess we might as well send them home from school cause that's where Huston learned from. It might be nice to see how his work was influenced. He didn't just spring up from the ground a fully capable writer - director.

Are you really a teacher? Cause with that thinking you'd have to tell your students let's get rid of all that 19th century writing and start with Hemingway.

Yancey

For some reason I have to use Firefox to log in and post, IE won't work for me. It jumps back to the guest setting when I try to post. I love Firefox though so I don't mind having to use it ( no more Ads to bother with from websites, Adblock is so cool!) --- now----

Like some have said, more of the rare films from the 1920's - 1930's (Warner and RKO) but still in the library. I like this era the best.

I wouldn't say much about the overall programming except that I am satisfied and consider myself lucky to have such a channel that shows classic movies, uncut and without commercials.

As much as I have searched the boob tube, there is nothing else around like it, and I will revel in it as long as it lasts.

Well AMC was good like 10 years ago, but Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney were idiots and had no knowledge of classic films. Now AMC is crap anyway, so moot point.

Robert Osborne is excellent. The TCM programmers are not so excellent as they continued to air films more than once a month and continue to move TCM into the 80s and 90s (classics?) and show films everyone has already seen to death.

Still TCM is an oasis in a wasteland of crap on TV. No commercials. Excellent Osborne.

However, I wish they would expand the Silent Sunday Nights to at least TWO films and maybe have a Saturday Night Transition Film Night---early talkies that tend to get shunted to 2AM showings.

TCM needs to consider the avid audience it has and show what they want to see: classic films. The vault is full.... show the stuff..... I don't need TCM to show On Golden Pond or Out of Africa, as good as those films are...... Show me the films of John Gilbert, William Haines, Alice White, Marion Davies, Dorothy Mackaill, Mabel Normand, Mae Marsh, Colleen Moore, Dorothy Gish, Mae Murray, Wallace Reid, Louise Brooks, etc...... The other stuff is in the videos stores.

Yes, AMC is dead to me. I never look at that channel anymore. Sincerely, never.

Nobody beats Ozbeau. He's the best, why? Because he really appreciates movies. He has respect for actors as he started out as one and has, in my opinion, become a beacon of sanity in the mumbo jumbo world of Hollywood.

It's hard to believe that so many old movies are soon moving into an area of being 100 years old.

Still my original post was about not just showing specific movies but if there was any kind of programming relating to movies folks would like to see TCM do with their airspace.

Yancey

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

Re;

Ovrerall,I am satisified with the programming on TCM.I love the documentaries and the in between spots where actors tell about their experiences working with various actors and directors.Elizabeth Taylor talking about Monty Clift is a favorite of mine. I like Robert Osborne very much.Osborne is knowledgable about classic film and he projects a quiet warmth and elegance.Osborne won my heart a few weeks back during his interview with director Sidney Lumet. In the course of the interview when they were discussing NETWORK,Osborne told Lumet " The one actor who I think doesn`t receive the credit he deserves is William Holden. Lumet agreed with Osborne and went on to say that Holden was the human link which holds the film together.Holden is my favorite actor and I was thrilled to hear Osborne and Lumet acknowledge Bill Holden`s performance in NETWORK.

LC417

(Lorraine)