Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you had a say in Overall Programming what would you do?

yanceycravat

The only thing I would change is to bring back the series Hollywood on Hollywood that was first on Saturday at 6 and then moved to Friday at 6. They showed the best stuff on that program because I love documentaries about films and stars. TCM's docs are much better than the Biography & other series that A & E et al are doing.

Other than that I was all prepared to tell all y'all to shut up about these complaints and never come here again. Instead, I'll suggest that next time TCM is showing a repeat or something you don't like CHANGE THE FREAKING CHANNEL. It's not that hard. Everyone's always complaining about what they show so why bother watching the channel at all. There's plenty of movie channels--Encore, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Fox Movie Channel, AMC, TBS, TNT, WGN. You name it and there's a movie on--sometimes a bunch. I love the Godfather 1 & 2 but yet I'm sick of seeing it on TV on a regular basis. So what if Mildred Pierce is getting her 1000th showing soon. TCM is not a channel to be watched 24/7 if all you're going to do it complain about it. Join Netflix. They have a wonderful selection of movies from all over the world & well worth the $18.00 per month if you can afford it. It's cheaper than buying movies. Heck, if you did that you could get rid of cable totally. Sorry that everyone's not getting what they want from TCM but it's about 1 million times better than most everything else on TV. So just stop it. I sick of reading all the petty complaints. I'm also sick of this damn message board that I can rarely access. And I'm po'd that the Osmond fan took it upon herself to tell me off in a private message when I didn't even say anything bad about them. How old are you people? 2 years old?

There are many post-1965 movies that I adore, but I'd rather TCM stuck to the earlier material. It's not difficult to see newer films (especially if they are from the 1980 and '90s) on other channels, and if I'm in that old-movie mood and turn on TCM and they are showing Poltergeist, I feel let down.

I know, I know, I can watch my DVDs or vids instead. Still.

Some people love to complain, before TCM we had to rely on other channels and HOPE they ,1st-show our favorites and 2nd.-show them uncut and without commercials. I've watched AMC from it's start when it was called "Montages" and showed only 2 or 3 movies a night,then repeating them.Now they edit them to bits. So each day I notice more and more younger people checking out older Classic movies. Like HelenBaby said If you don't like it, change the channel but, you'll never fine another channel dedicated to showing the best that Hollywood has to offer. And even if the film is repeated and it's good, I'd watch it several times because it's what I want in my entertainment.So go ahead switch but I bet you'll be back.

vallo

Way back, someone posted a thread that broke down the number of movies that TCM had on the schedule for a particular month by decade. If I remember correctly, the majority of the films scheduled were from the 1930's and 1940's. Every time there is a movie from the 70's, 80's or 90's, people always get worried that TCM is going to go the way that AMC went, but it hasn't happened.

I don't mind the occasional more recent film on TCM. After all, they ARE uncut and in letterbox. You can't see them on TBS or TNT that way. Last week they showed FOUL PLAY from 1978 with Goldie Hawn--not a GREAT movie, but it was an homage to Hitchcock and it was set in San Francisco. Right after that they showed a night of Hitchcock films. I thought that was a nice pairing. Whenever they do show a more modern film, it always goes with the theme of the day.

Sandy K

I would like to schedule the Silent Sunday picture which is currently on at Midnight Eastern time before "The Essentials" reprise on Sunday afternoon. Some people in the Eastern and Central time zones must go to work and school on Monday. We cannot stay up to watch the presentation. I would also like to see the foreign film which is scheduled at 2:00 A.M. Eastern time on Saturday afternoons between 2:00 P.M. and 6:00 P.M. I believe the silent and foreign films should be seen during the day to introduce people to this type of cinema. I understand I will be criticize by those who have time shifting devices or a copy of the film but I believe TCM should schedule such films to introduce and educate the public on cinema. On Saturday mornings at 2:00 A.M. TCM could schedule "Charade" or "To Kill A Mockingbird". These titles have been seen by the majority of the classic film public. But how many people have been introduce to "The Bicycle Thief," or "M" which are normally schedule to be shown during the 2:00 A.M. time period.

I understand TCM is always originating great programming ideas but I would love to see them repeat some of their special programming. For example, "Treasures from American Film Archives" was a wonderful example of films which are rarely if ever seen on television. Silent films such as "Snow White," "Riding the New York Subway in 1905," "The Autobiography of a Jeep from 1942," a Yiddish film titled "Teyva" from 1939. I haven't seen such programming before or since which was as exciting and invigorating as this special programming which was featured on TCM a few years back. I understand TCM only had the rights to show the "Treasures from American Film Archives" collection of films for one showing only but it would be so educational and exciting to introduce new comers to the classic movie scene these wonderful special films once more.

I also would like to see "TCM Programmer" comment on our suggestions in this thread. Let us know what you think "TCM Programmer". Don't let us swing in the dark with our suggestions. Please and thank you.

My thoughts exactly. My only wish is that they would show more from the late 20s and 30s. They aren't available anywhere else. You're idea of Transition Film Night and two silents on Sundays is great. The newer films are so readily available, and TCM has so much in their vaults, it seems such a waste not to show some of it occassionally. If only they would...

I would like to see the REALLY rare films, some that have seemingly vanished and they are not all that old.

A FEVER IN THE BLOOD ANGIE DICKINSON 1962

FOR LOVE OR MONEY MITZI GAYNOR, KIRK DOUGLAS, THELMA RITTER '63

THE CONDEMNED OF ALTONA SOPHIA LOREN, FREDRIC MARCH '63

FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG JEAN SIMMONS 1955

among others.

Why do some movies never show anywhere like the above list.

we're here and paying attention; I really appreciate the comments and I understand not everyone is 100% satisfied - it's always good to have some construtctive criticism

the subject of newer movies comes up a lot and I've discussed a few times in the past, so I won't go into it too much here, except to say at least they are in letterbox, uncut and commercial-free, which (I think) sets them apart from the way they're presented on other networks; and the majority of films we play are still from the '30s, '40s and '50s (and every couple of months it's probably a good idea to reassure everyone we aren't going the way of AMC)

I will try to weigh in a little more and address specific questions when I have the chance

I agree about Davies, especially The Red Mill, Quality Street, and Cardboard Lover........... and where is the Davies talkie It's a Wise Child ?

I still think TCM should show more silent films and transition films.... It's always fascinating to see the talkie debuts of the big stars and we've never seen the debuts of John Gilbert, Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, etc.

Is TCM working on getting TV right to Swanson's The Trespasser or Beyond the Rocks?

Before AMC went downhill I did enjoy their Saturday night with Hitchcock feature in which Sharon Stone (?) of all people hosted. I'd like to see just one Hitchcock movie spotlighted for the week. And of course MORE AND MORE SILENT MOVIES PLEASE!

Many of these ideas have likely been previously implemented at least in part, but I wanted to contribute anyway.

"Lucky Viewer Decides" - I envied the lucky celebrities who got to program their own night of TCM movies. Wouldn't it be nice if TCM would set it up to where viewers could enter online to have their name picked to set up their own night of programming? I would very much like to at least have that opportunity.

"Music in the Movies" - Consider devoting time slots to music based on genre, time period of composition, composer, storyline, actor/musical artist, famous scores, etc. Such ideas would reduce the need to rely solely on musicals for such a theme. Maybe a musician could help introduce the film and highlight some of the key points of the music? Perhaps a band could play a featured song first (depending on the circumstances). If handled poorly, the last part of my idea could seem completely obscure and lacking in class.

"Breakout Roles" - Have certain nights devoted to showing the role that made renowned actors/actresses famous.

"City Films" - Set up nights devoted to cities that play a large role in shaping the storyline.

"Quirky Roles" - Showcase films that cast actors in roles "unfitting" of their usual character.

Bogey -

Great ideas!

I'd love to be able to sit down with Robert Osborne and talk about the movies I programmed for the evening as well. That would be pretty neat.

BTW - Since TCM owns nearly all of Bogarts work wouldn't it be neat if they could get the rights to the early FOX stuff as well?

Yancey

Wow! What an interesting thread - and go, Helen baby! lol I totally agree with you - if someone doesn't like the great stuff on TCM - change the channel and SHUT UP! TCM is wonderful.

I've tried to read through most of this thread - but she's a long one - anyway, I love Robert Osbourne, he will ALWAYS been the best. Just last night my son and I were watching the clip of Bob walking along the street (my, he's a big boy, isn't he? Doesn't look that big when he's introducing movies but he stands heads above others on the street. Handsome, too. hehe) Anyway - I was telling my son that if I could choose someone; actor, director, etc. to have a conversation with, I would choose Bob - he has to have had the most interesting life going, and met so many terrific people. :-)

Not in the same ball park, at all, but I did like Nick Clooney on AMC - didn't like anyone else there though. I had to mention that cuz someone trashed him earlier and I don't agree. I don't EVER turn on AMC anymore however - I am so angry about their commercials and kinda choked lately because as I go through the schedules, they've actually had some good movies lately. For instance, Jesse James is coming up soon. Oh well, if I keep watching TCM it will be back on eventually. :-)

THANK YOU TCM PROGRAMMER for being alive and well out there - and keeping us posted of 'items' - especially, as you say, of continuing to let us know that TCM is NOT going the way of AMC. Thank God! :-)

If I had a say in overall programming - what would I do? - Hmmmm, not much different than is being done actually, you're doing a helluva job IMO. Sometimes there are movies repeated too often - you know that, it's been said enough - but even so, there are some essential movies that I feel DESERVE to be shown a lot and I never get upset to see them on often - I mean stuff like The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca etc. These movies might have been missed by someone (like how? lol) but anyway, it's true and I'd love the whole world to get to see them so if they are repeated often, I watch something else or a DVD - or watch them again. hehehe Sometimes though a movie will get played ONCE and not repeated for a long, long, time - and even though I know the reason for that, belonging to other companies, Fox, etc. - I'd still like to see them played a couple of times before they disappear. I'm thinking specifically of D.O.A. with Edmund O'Brien that I missed a few months back and it hasn't been back on yet - and I know there's been many others. That's my main issue. If anything happens that I miss The Third Man with Orson Welles in Dec, for instance, and it isn't shown again, I'll be livid. Although that would take a blizzard of the most major degree. LOL I've been waiting literally months for that one!

As far as foreign films and silent movies, I'm a wash-out. Although I know more about classic movies than anyone I know, I'm a novice compared to some who come to these boards. Except for a very few exceptions, I can't warm up to these. However, I would be fine with there being a bit more shown to accommodate those who enjoy them. My total LOVE for movies are the 30s and 40s - with "some" 50's, but already there were actors by then that I didn't care for - and the 60s and 70s, IMO were 99% terrible. Things started going a bit better in the 80's and 90's so I'm fine with some of the better quality of these being shown, as have been on TCM.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON TCM. We love ya!!!

Scarlett aka katyscarlett