Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you had a say in Overall Programming what would you do?

yanceycravat

would still like to see a regular feature for TRANSITION MOVIES.... they get the LEAST air time on TCM..... 1927-1932 remains a fascinating period for Hollywood films with all kinds of new stars, silents stars talking, musicals, hybrid silents with talking sequences, etc. Osborne could do a neat bio on the early talkie stars and delve into talkie/transition history....

> would still like to see a regular feature for

> TRANSITION MOVIES.... they get the LEAST air time on

> TCM..... 1927-1932 remains a fascinating period for

> Hollywood films with all kinds of new stars, silents

> stars talking, musicals, hybrid silents with talking

> sequences, etc. Osborne could do a neat bio on the

> early talkie stars and delve into talkie/transition

> history....

I TOTALLY agree with that,would love to see more from that era,and pre-Codes(that kind of overlaps,doesn't it). And more Norma Shearer!

No offense to those who enjoy them, but if it were up to me I'd outlaw all movies made after 1969. :) I don't really think movies from the 70s-present time should be airing on TCM. How can such recent films be considered "classic"? Just doesn't seem to fit, at least with my understanding of what TCM is about. And honestly, those newer movies are much more available (both on home video and other TV channels) - so I kind of resent one of them taking a TCM timeslot away from an older movie that's more obscure and difficult to find. Gimme the rare stuff instead :)

If I had a say I'd also ask for TCM to plan ahead which short films and fillers they're going to air between movies... and make a schedule available online. It's nice to be surprised, sure. But I can't watch TV all day and night, so it would be nice to know exactly which short films/interview segments/etc will be airing, and when, so we could tune in for the ones that sound most interesting to us.

And since I'm new to TCM, I'd actually request MORE repetition of movies. ;) Please rerun all the ones I missed. Thanks. ;)

There are only three movies from the 70's that I consider classics, Star Wars (1977, which is partially responsible for the downfall of movies, sadly), Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen's masterpiece), and Alien (1979, just because it's cool) other than that...

I don't know about "Lucky Viewer Decides", but the other ideas sound really good. I particularly like "Music in the Movies". Say one night a month focused on movies with themes and sound tracks by a specific composer - Korngold, or Bernard Hermann - with the introduction or maybe some discussion from a modern film composer (Danny Elfman as an example) or conductor (like James Levine).

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Best ideas on the entire thread. Actually wanted to start threads along the lines of "Music in the Movies, "Breakout Roles", and "Quirky Roles", but have not been able to log on for two years with either of my two ISPs until the new set up and still cannot log on with AOL.

Once again all great ideas. I would love to have the opportunity to do a night of programming. You would have some great films that are shown every two or three years at best. And no, there would be no silents, not my cup of tea.

As much as I like the short interview segments used to fill in time between movies, I'd LOVE to see the complete interview done with the personality. A half-hour of full-hour show featuring these called something like "Hollywood Remembers" or something would be a must watch for me...

And to the folks who aren't to thrilled with some of the more modern films being shown, I've always found that the newer films shown fit right in. How can you evaluate Henry Fonda's career without On Golden Pond? Although I first saw Mel Brooks' High Anxiety when I was in sixth grade, I didn't really appreciate it fully until I started seeing Hitchcock's films in college. I think you need the present to help you evaluate the past.

I would go with a "theme night" schedule. One, two or even three movies each night that follow a theme of that day. Examples might be; Monday-comedys, Tuesday-Mysteries, Wednesday-Westerns, Thursday-musicals, Friday-Horror, etc. This way, it would/should please everyone and a person could look forward to a particular night of their choosing depending on their tastes.

Or at the very least, Horror Fridays as they are my favorite. :) Any and all of the well known flicks, to the hard to find, right down to the low budgets. There are alot that don't get shown much, if at all.

Bob

Years ago, Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows had a show on PBS in which historical figures discussed a topic in the setting of a dinner party. I would like to see a similar 20 or 30 minute segment prior to the screening of groundbreaking or controversial films in which actors portray the leading Hollywood voices of the day when the film was made. The idea being to give the audience a snapshot of the social and political context surrounding the film.

I would also like to see Mr. Osborne pay more attention in his commentary to the great character actors like Sara Allgood, Edmund Gwenn, Walter Slezak and the like.

It's tough to improve on perfection!

Years ago, Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows had a show on PBS in which historical figures discussed a topic in the setting of a dinner party. I would like to see a similar 20 or 30 minute segment prior to the screening of groundbreaking or controversial films in which actors portray the leading Hollywood voices of the day when the film was made. The idea being to give the audience a snapshot of the social and political context surrounding the film.

I would also like to see Mr. Osborne pay more attention in his commentary to the great character actors like Sara Allgood, Edmund Gwenn, Walter Slezak and the like.

It's tough to improve on perfection!

I kinda have to agree with that - but I'd sure enough change it to 1959. I think the 60's were the WORST decade of movies EVER. >>

Scarlett,

I hope you'll forgive me but I'm surprised. Some movies you would have missed then:

The Alamo, The Apartment, To Kill a Mockingbird, Oliver, True Grit, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Great Escape, The Great Race, Cheyenne Autumn, How the West Was Won, Inherit the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Hud, Dr Zhivago, In the Heat of the Night, The Graduate, The Lion in Winter, Zorba the Greek and I'm sure there's plenty that I can't think of.

As for the poster who cited 1969 as the cut off date, you would have missed:

American Graffiti, Sugarland Express, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, The Sting,

Next Stop Greenwich Village, The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc, MASH, Harold and Maude, The Wind and the Lion, Apocalpse Now, Nashville, Chinatown, Annie Hall, Dog Day Afternoon, The Way We Were, Network,Coming Home, The Deer Hunter and more.

Movies may not be what they were in 70 years ago, but they can tell us so much about who are and who were during any decade and what we held important during those times. To know us as a people, as a culture, is to know us through the movies we give the world.