Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with movie... woman on death row

cylynne

I saw a movie a while back, well at least the last half of a movie, that really intrigued me. It was about a woman on death row and what I saw involved her attempts at getting released from her sentence, and it ended with her dying anyway, with lots of reporters standing around. I believe it was somewhat narrated by a reporter or lawyer that witnessed the whole story. Unfortunately I don't remember who was in it or any other info that would help me find out... I'd like to watch the whole thing. It was shot in B&W and looked to be from the 40's-50's... anybody ever watched this or have any clue what it might be?

Thanks!

Could be I Want to Live! (1958), the true story of Barbara Graham played by Susan Hayward, who won the Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal. It'll be on TCM during 2006's "31 Day of Oscar" (March 3 at 3:30 PM ET).

• 5 months later...

I believe the movie you are referring to is "Madame X ". There were at least two films done by that name, both with the same theme. The earlier version was from 1937 and then again in late 50's or 60's I think. Both were black and white. I prefer the later version with John Forsyth...a definite 3 hanky tear jerker and one of my favourite movies.

Further to my previous reply on this film, the version issued after the 1937 film, was done in 1966 and in colour (with John Forsythe), not B/W as I previously stated. I have the '37 version on VHS...a nice film also. I believe this film was has about 7 versions with a version done sometime in the ' 80's which I've not seen.

The movie was definitely "I Want To Live" with Susan Hayward. Have seen it several times and the reporter was telling her story. It was based on the true story of Barbara Graham and yes, she was executed but many think she was innocent and had been set up.

I love that movie, as well. The one thing that has always troubled me is that, since it was a true story, after her husband was found (after she went through the police set-up and the made up story etc.)he didn't corroborate her story. IF she really was with her husband, it should have been easy to prove. Why didn't they work more on that angle. I never did understand that and to me that proved she was guilty. But who knows ..............

Seems funny that Cyleen, the poster of this thread, didn't return to acknowledge the responses to the question about the movie.

This happens quite often, and sometimes you just wonder why.

Archived