Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND TRIBUTE

edgeciff

Ms. DeHavilland will be honored June 15, 2006 by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences with a screening and discussion. I assume Ms. DeHavilland will attend this salute and if so, I for one will attend when tickets go on sale next June. I am wondering if Robert Osborne will be hosting this event. He does many of these salutes.

Yes DeHavilland was one of the best..... always good.... Osborne came to Albuqueque years ago with Ann Miller and I didn't go..... what a treat that would have been.... but I was living 3 hours away..... oh well

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is it's about time!

Bette Davis was getting these kind of tributes when she was in her seventies. De Havilland, a two-time Oscar winner and the woman who fought WB for her freedom and changed the studio contract system forever, had to wait until two weeks before her 90th birthday! I love Olivia and hope her fans will be pleased with the long overdue tribute from the Academy.

De Havilland was also overlooked by the AFI in its selection of top stars. I love Jack Matthews comment in the Daily News when she was omitted: "Ava Gardner, but not Olivia de Havilland? Are they nuts?"

Neil

I think part of the problem with Oliva DeHavilland not getting the tributes that other stars of her period did is because Ms. DeHaviland lives in Paris, rarely travels to the US, is a much more private person and doesn't like to talk too much about the old days because she's saving all that info while she writes her long overdue book.

It's hard to give an award to someone who won't show up. Doesn't mean she isn't deserving. Just means there may be another side to the story to consider.

lynn in sherman oaks

I agree that she keeps a low profile, but she does like to come to the U.S. for award occasions like the Academy celebration next year in honor of her career and last year's Premiere magazine "Icon Award".

She's been more active lately on DVD, giving extensive interviews on the Errol Flynn Signature Collection and the Gone with the Wind DVD ("Melanie Remembers"), so I think the organizers of these events know they can depend on her to show up.

And she did come all the way from Paris the year of the 2003 Oscars where she presented 59 of the past winners on stage. As for her autobiography, I don't what the story is on that or why it's taking so long.

Neil

At $5 each the tickets must sell out instantly, how hard is it to get tickets, once they go on sale in June? Is the Samuel Goldwyn Theater where the Oscars are now held?

The reason I ask is I have not been to LA in years, and this might be kind of a fun excuse around which to plan a trip.

richardny4me, I never had difficulty getting tickets to these events. They usually sell out quickly, but if you buy your tickets when the event is first announced (usually a month before) you would be sure to secure seats for any event. Unfortunately, the Academy ropes off a number of seats for their members for each event and this seems to me to be getting bigger each year. Having this event announced so early is very rare. But I know tickets for this event probably won't go on sale until approximately 6/1/06.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone think she intends to publish her autobiography any time soon?

Supposedly, it's been in the works since the 1970s. Is she going to have it published posthumously for reasons known only to her?

Does anyone know?

Of course, I think she richly deserves the long overdue tribute from the Academy.

Neil

This is a note to TCM Programmer. If Olivia DeHavilland is going to be in the United States I hope the powers to be have contacted her representatives and requested a "Private Screening" interview with her. Maybe she can be a "Guest Programmer" and pick four of her favorite films. It is imperative that TCM makes a valiant attempt to interview the charming and talented Olivia DeHavilland for those of us who have always wanted to hear from her the stories of her career, Hollywood's Golden Age, her thoughts about today's Hollywood and when she will finish her autobiography. Thank you.

I'd love to see a box set of her best films.

A dream box set would include: Strawberry Blonde, Hold Back the Dawn, To Each His Own, The Dark Mirror, The Snake Pit, The Heiress, My Cousin Rachel and Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte.

Thankfully, the Errol Flynn box sets include some of her best films with him.

About time she's getting a tribute from the Academy. I should think Kennedy

Center Honors would be next--but I'm grateful for the Academy tribute.

Neil