Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOX CINEMA CLASSICS COLLECTION

edgeciff

FOX is instituting a new series of DVD releases called CINEMA CLASSIC COLLECTIONS. The series includes 3 titles I have posted on another thread: PINKY, ISLAND IN THE SKY and STORMY WEATHER. Other selections coming up will include: a JAYNE MANSFIELD box set (includes WAYWARD BUS, WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER and THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT) and a box set of CHARLIE CHAN films. I really can't understand FOX's thinking! When are they going to release Betty Grable or Alice Faye films. I think Grable or Faye are much worthier of box sets of DVD's than Mansfield. Hopefully, with this new series in 2006 Fox will finally honor Grable and Faye with their own DVD sets.

thanks. great news though that they are doing SOMETHING with their library. perhaps all the song rights in the FOX musicals are an issue. I wish they would stop this COLLECTION thing, though, and go title by title (film noir to one side). Jayne Mansfied? What about JOAN COLLINS who was also in WAYWARD BUS? That set could include GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING!!! and ISLAND IN THE SUN but SUN is in another collection. too many collections IMO. Overall, FOX does a great job with their presentations except for the postage stamp stills and that sepia faded look they use for key photos in the studio classic series that extends to the spine of each DVD case. I would rather one or two well chosen photos than those small little things. Those who recall lasers know what I mean perhaps. again, thanks for the news. I will still cling to my ebay found THE WAYWARD BUS pan and scan with the FOX logo and end title slashed off.

onwaikikibeach, there are two films: ISLAND IN THE SUN stars Dorothy Dandridge, Joan Fontaine, Harry Belafonte which airs on FMC 11/3/05, et al. and coming to DVD in January and then there is the John Wayne film ISLAND IN THE SKY, just released on DVD.

I worry about Joan Collins/Alexis' response to THE WAYWARD BUS being included in a Jayne Mansfield set since Joan Collins had top billing over Jayne!!! To be fair there should be a FOX box set for Joan also including THE WAYWARD BUS and perhaps GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING, SEVEN THIEVES and/or RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS! Does Gogi Grant sing THE WAYWARD BUS or did she just do The Wayward Wind?

onwaikikibeach, I think you've got your songs mixed up. I don't think there was a title song for THE WAYWARD BUS. Although I don't think much of Mansfield as an actress, I do think she came off much better than Collins in this film. I always felt Collins was just window dressing in most of her films and that's why her film career mostly petered out.

"...and that sepia faded look they use for key photos in the studio classic series that extends to the spine of each DVD case."

My favourite sepia spine photo is on Number 34, The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit. It's a picture of Tyrone Power.

Like the Gary Cooper Universal set which includes a photo from the Colman silent Beau Geste, I sometimes wonder who's in charge of authorizing the go-ahead for artwork when it seems people are employed to do these jobs who really don't know a thing about the films! I know mishaps occur but, come on, Tyrone Power doesn't look a thing like Gregory Peck.