Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
edgeciff

TCM vs. FMC

With TCM in a repeat mode I find myself watching FMC more and more. Recently I watched such varied fare as ONE IN A MILLION, Sonja Henie's first film, CLUNY BROWN, Ernst Lubitsch's very witty comedy with Jennifer Jones and Charles Boyer, SEVEN THIEVES an exciting caper film with Edw. G. Robinson and Rod Steiger and DANTE'S INFERNO with Spencer Tracy and Claire Trevor. These are films I had not seen before or had not seen in years. Upcoming are FOREVER AMBER, JOHNNY APOLLO and GARDEN OF EVIL. But there are some drawbacks of watching this channel. Most of the early classics are run either in the morning or afternoon. Since I live in Los Angeles the films are screened even earlier. FMC's evening fare are strictly newer films. On rare occasions they will show the older films (60s-70s) such as INNOCENTS, THE BOSTON STRANGLER or JULIA but this seems to be only when they are running special themed series. They run no documentaries and rarely screen trailers. I also noticed a few films run in non-letterboxed like ADVENTURES OF HAJII BABA. And of course there is no one hosting the films and the station runs only films from the FOX library whereas TCM has culled their films from several libraries. On the whole I would say FMC is really not a serious rival for TCM but its nice to have them around commercial free and its nice to see rare films or films I hadn't seen on TV in years.

Edgecliff -

I get FMC as well as TCM and I have to agree it is not a serious rival to TCM. There are some really good films there but they have a huge library and they never show most of it.

They repeat films 3 or 4 times a month (sometimes more) which is too bad since they never show any of Bogarts early films. They also have all those early Charlie Chan films but I doubt they'll ever show those anymore since the big debacle a few years ago when dumb people got up in arms about stereotypes. So frustrating. Do people really think a 70 year old movie perpetuates stereotypes? Some folks have no perspective or sense of history.

Another thing about FMC is that they show a lot of movies that can be seen on DVD.

FMC is good for some old classics but they have a long, long way to go before they are in the same league as TCM.

Yes. FMC is not much of a threat. Though I want a peek at ISLAND IN THE SUN tomorrow before the LBX DVD. a gorgeous looking film with a great opening. I think it is to be LBX tomorrow. I subscribed a few years ago right after the showing of Lee Remick in the awful but interesting for her SANCTUARY. It never came back? Sure people are becoming adults everyday and need to see the ALL ABOUT EVES of FOX but come on ebay dupers sell old FOX films FOX should be showing: GOLDIE with Harlow, numerous rare Spencer Tracy films. EAST LYNNE with Ann Harding. BERKELEY SQUARE. DADDY LONG LEGS, the original sound one with Gaynor (should be in the forthcoming Astaire release but I doubt it). The AFI catalogs always indicate whether they viewed a film or not to give their story line and notes. All of these and more show viewed. When COLUMBIA released BONJOUR TRISTESSE based on the Sagan novel FOX should have responded with their A CERTAIN SMILE, her second novel. A real period piece of the 1950s. FMC wasted the chance with the Chan films--hope they are looking for the four lost FOX Chan films--for idiotic reasons but woulld rather have them on DVD anyhow.

I don't have FMC but friends and relatives do. I noticed when I stayed at my niece's house this past summer that they repeat their schedule daily. For example, they'll show 12 hours of programming and then repeat it the same day. However, I do like the Hour of Stars program they have, which was early TV presentations of some of their movies. However, TCM is much much better.

That's funny, I was contemplating the fact that Comcast doesn't carry FMC as part of its basic package and ildly wondering whether I should switch to RCN just earlier this evening. I then proceeded to download FMC's schedule in PDF format and it had a number of decent movies that I don't recall seeing on TCM. Nothing earthshattering, but you can never have too many old movies, so it sounds like I should switch to RCN just to have more choices plus save a few bucks in the process.

Anything that I should know about FMC before switching? It sounds like they show a higher proportion of their movies in pan and scan than TCM and they don't do previews, cartoons, and so on, but I can live with that as long as there are no commercials. Any other gotchas?

FMC has improved a lot during the past three months. All the classic movies are on in the mornings as mentioned. Jane Eyre was on Tuesday and repeats Nov. 13th. It Happens Every Spring (1949) with Ray Milland is on 10:00AM Friday and Johnny Apollo (1940) with Tyrone Power showing at 3:00PM. King of the Khyber Rifles (1953) with Tyrone Power is on Saturday at 10:00AM.As far as LB goes they do both, The King and I was on twice in LB and twice in P/S.

I like it because it's the only place where you can see the 1933 version of STATE FAIR. We have FMC on DirecTV at home, but it's not part of the cable service we get where I attend college.

Nevah!! FMC will never be as good as TCM - however, I did just purchase it a couple of months ago and am currently absorbed with it! One reason is because I just love Ty Power and lately I've seen an incredible amount of his movies - also other great ones that I haven't seen lately, Heaven Can Wait, Laura, Jane Eyre, etc. So, yes I think Fox is a good channel. But it certainly doesn't have the variety - and never will have - that TCM has. And - if you are patient, TCM usually does lease/rent, (whatever) some Fox movies and show them periodically, as with films from most studios. I am really sorry to read about the Charlie Chan films, I've often wondered why I don't see them, or Mr. Moto (adore Peter Lorre) and I guess the 'stereotype' thing would explain it - I wish they'd give it a rest! Are these, both Chan and Motto available on DVD, however? It's like Disney with "Song of the South" - that frustrates me - IMO it's only a kids story and I sure wish they would release it.

Eventually, Fox might get old and repetitive to me - but for now, I'm really happy to have both.

> Nevah!! FMC will never be as good as TCM - however,

> I did just purchase it a couple of months ago and am

> currently absorbed with it! ... But it certainly doesn't

> have the variety - and never will have - that TCM has.

That's what I figure too. I downloaded FMC's August schedule and there was a lot of overlap with the November schedule, so I am guessing that they repeat their movies more often than TCM. But I just changed my cable company earlier today, and now that I have both TCM and FMC, I feel like a kid in a candy store. My DVD recorder will be working overtime all month burning all those yummy 3-4 star movies that I don't have :)

I no longer watch FMC because they censor their programming (as the Chan/Moto ban proves). However even before their programming was far below that of TCM.

TCM shows a wide variety of movies, including those that never have and never will be released to home video. They also have Robert Osborne.

AMC in their prime might have given TMC a challenge, but nothing is even close these days.

Just reviewed the line up for FMC in the next couple of days and I have to say it doesn't hold a candle to TCM. I saw only two or three movies that that were made before 1960. I love movies made in the 30's especially the pre-code era.

Message was edited by:

Melly

> Just reviewed the line up for FMC in the next couple

> of days and I have to say it doesn't hold a candle to

> TCM. I saw only two or three movies that that were

> made before 1960. I love movies made in the 30's

> especially the pre-code era.

Well, it's certainly true that FMC has many more 1960s-1990s movies than TCM and some of them are quite bad. However, if you check their monthly schedule at http://www.thefoxmoviechannel.com/schedmomprint.asp (a slow and poorly designed Web site, may take some time to load), you'll see quite a few movies from the 1930s-1950s. Some of them are quite good, for example:

"Cluny Brown" (1946) (Boyer/Jennifer Jones)

"Dante's Inferno" (1935) (Spencer Tracy before he left Fox)

"The Left Hand of God" (1955) (Bogart, both in pan and scan and LB)

"Call Me Mister" (1951) (Betty Grable)

"The Magnificent Dope" (1942) (Henry Fonda)

"Unfaithfully Yours" (1948) (Rex Harrison and Preston Sturges)

"In Old Chicago" (1937) (Ty Power and Co)

and a bunch more -- and that's just the first week!

Of course, I fully expect them to start repeating in a few months, but it's busy time for my DVD recorder until then :) Besides, I don't mind quite a few post-1960 movies, so I get to record a bunch of other things too.

I'm looking forward to their Thanks Giving Widescreen films, there are about 10 that I want to record and watch. I like the fact that FMC airs many films from the 60's 70's and 80's, because my tastes in movies are not just limited to so called classics. I like all kinds of films, even Russ Meyers films are interesting and not what some people are calling them.

Really the only thing that FMC had going for it was that they aired a very pristine copy of SUNRISE some time ago. TCM had never shown SUNRISE before, but that is gonna change in a few months when this wonderful movie is premired on TCM!