Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Orlygr

Name 2 of Your Favorite Comedic Westerns

Limit your post to 2 please

Ok my first will be "Support Your Local Sheriff" starring James Garner with a great supporting cast including Bruce Dern< an actor I still dislike for murdering John Wayne in The Cowboys.

My next is a little known about comedy called "Dirty Dingus Mcgee" starring of all people Frank Sinatra with George Kennedy which is a hoot and a holler.

I like your choices, and the other James Garner comedy Western(s) as well.

But if I have to choose only two, I'd probably pick McLintock! (1963) and then one of the Terence Hill "Trinity" movies instead of My Name is Nobody (1973), shown frequently on TCM, the one he did with Henry Fonda.

FYI, I didn't pick Destry Rides Again (1939) because I don't think it qualifies strictly as a Western comedy.

My favorite is The Rounders.

For runner-up, I can't pick between Paleface, Son of Paleface, and Alias Jesse James, so let's just say "any Bob Hope comedy western except Cancel My Reservation."

"Mclintock!" is one of my favorites so I would pick that one first but second is tough. "Destry Rides Again" and "My Name is Nobody" are both good but I would go with something more recent. Either "Blazing Saddles" or " City Slickers".

I've never seen " Support your local Sheriff" though, and I love Bob Hope but the only western of his I've seen is "Son of Paleface" and I didn't like it as much as the others.

There are lots of others. Many of Burt Kennedy's films are comedic westerns. His best IMO is The Rounders, with Fonda, Ford, and that damn horse, but he started off in the 50s writing for the Budd Boetticher-Randolph Scott western series, which have a distinct strain of comedy paralleling the standard action. His last work included some light-hearted western TVM with Willie and Kris, very enjoyable for fans of the genre and of Kennedy's earlier work, which is usually permeated with comedy. He made both the Support films as well as Dirty Dingus Magee and The War Wagon.

William Bowers wrote The Sheepman, Alias Jesse James (for the conclusion of this one, nearly every cowboy TV and movie hero of the 50s shows up to help Bob Hope in the big showdown), Advance to the Rear, Support Your Local Sheriff, Sidekicks (a TVM with Larry Hagman and Lou Gossett as a salt-pepper team in the old west), Shame, Shame on the Bixby Boys, and a couple of Wild Wild West TVM reunions. I can't say I ever cared much for Wild Wild West, though.

Bowers didn't write Support Your Local Gunfighter, which isn't a sequel to Sheriff, but reported in an interview that his contract for the previous movie left him entitled to something like $25,000 for Gunfighter, even though he had nothing whatever to do with it. (It was directed by Burt Kennedy and written by Jimmy Grant, John Wayne's favorite writer, and it's just about as good as the classic Sheriff, not hurt at all by having a great cast, with Jack Elam in fine form.)

Bowers also wrote the classic, The Gunfighter, which is part of the 20th Century Fox film library but played a couple of times on TCM five or six years ago. But it's not at all funny. (Bowers tells a good story of meeting a well-oiled John Wayne, years after the movie was made and still bitter that he didn't get to make it.)

A modest but entertaining western comedy from the later 30s is MGM's Henry Goes Arizona, from a pulp novelette by W C Tuttle, with blowhard vaudevillian Frank Morgan inheriting a ranch in Arizona. It's one of those odd westerns (odd to later eyes; they were quite common at the time) where some of the cast are gun-toting cowboys and rustlers on horseback and some are city slickers in cars. Morgan does his patented turn in the role. Biggest kick to me is that he is a dead ringer for 20s and 30s western pulp writer H Bedford Jones.

And rhen there's Ballad of Cat Ballou, and most of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, though I'm reluctant to call that one a comedy, since the heroes get blown away by the Bolivian army at the end!

Message was edited by:

bollywood101

Something Big with Dean Martin and Brian Keith is my favorite comedy western of all time. Totally spot on send-up of John Ford dusters, the only time Andrew V. McLaglen ever hit the target dead center in his directing career. I hope to god I see it turn up at some point here on TCM now we have it in Canada. The last time I ever saw it on commercial TV was about 15 years ago, and it's never been on video as far as I know. Hilarious little flick.

Support Your Local Gunfighter would be my second choice. Either one of the Support Your... westerns.

Anyone know if Sergeant's 3 ever gets shown on TCM?

Support Your Local Sherriff. Garner and Brennan are a hoot.I really like the scene where Joan Hackett sets herself on fire. Bruce Dern is pretty good especially since he went on to do some really nasty characters. ( i.e.The Cowboys). I also like Cheyenne Social Club. It's not great but what a treat to watch Stewart and Fonda together.

In terms of comic westerns i think Cat Ballou is the best,with Support Your Local Sheriff and Hope's Paleface movies right up there.

I was watching Wagons East the other day and while it wasn't really very good it was probably one of the few recent examples of the 'comic western'. Seems to have become a dead genre.

McLintock! John Wayne and Maureen O' Hara-great fun! Great to see Maureen being chased by Wayne stripped to her underwear,# 2 Texas(directed by George Marshall) better than his Destry Rides Again.In Texas Claire Trevor is shows she could be a very fine comedianne.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned "Blazing Saddles". It's not my first choice but i'm just surprised...

How about "North to Alaska" with John Wayne, Stewart Granger, Fabian and Capucine? Wasn't she gorgeous?

AndyO

I will roll back the calendar to 1939[of course] with "Destry Rides Again" and then

support the Sheriff over the Gunfighter.

Favorite comic westerns...Number one would be "The Scalphunters" with Burt Lancaster and Shelly Winters..it gets richer and funnier with each viewing...number two would be "The Ballad of Cable Hogue", Sam Peckinpahs only lyrical comedy...or only comedy...Jason Robards, Stella Stevens are wonderful int this mesmerizing little gem.

I like most of the choices for comedy-westerns. I especially love "McClintock"---what a great cast and a truly funny movie. Does anyone remember the wonderful scene with John Wayne and a drunk Yvonne DeCarlo? She was so funny in that scene. Two other movies come to mind, although they are not really classics, but very funny. One is "The Second Time Around" with Debbie Reynolds and Andy Griffith. The other is a little-seen movie called "Take Me to Town" with Ann Sheridan and Sterling Hayden. I love that movie.

Terrence

"Evil Roy Slade" with John Astin in the title role and Dick Shawn as hero Bing Bell ("I'll get it.") Have only seen it once and that was as a kid, so maybe it is a little juvenile, but very funny.

After that, put me down as another vote for "Support Your Local Sheriff."

"Blazing Saddles" would probably be mentioned more often if the ending stayed western instead of going backstage Hollywood. I dunno, just seems to fall apart, somehow.

Message was edited by:

LuckyDan

By coincidence, I just bought a Roger Miller Hits CD. I haven't heard that silly stuff in years.

This site is rich with suggestions. A good place to go for anyone interested in the old flicks.

I have to add Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Many, many funny lines in that movie. I watched it about 12 times when it came out, but only because I had a friend who worked in the local theater and I got in free every time.

"Morons. I've got morons on my team. No one's going to rob us going down the mountain. We have no money going down the mountain." ****.

The Sheepmen - Glenn Ford, Shirley Maclean, Lesley Nielsen.

Destry Rides Again.

You MUST enjoy George Marshall films.A great,npn-Western,by him,is"MURDER,HE SAYS",a Fred MacMurray "black" comedy,with Marjorie Main,Porter Hall,Peter Whitney(as murderous twins),and the excellent Helen Walker.It was released by Paramount,in 1944.

If I only had to choose two, I would have to say "Along Came Jones" with Gary Cooper and Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles". But a lot of the old "B" westerns have great comedic bits and I have to mention a few of them, like Buck Jones' "Stranger From Arizona" which hasn't been broadcasted in a while and is not avaliable on either VHS or DVD, and "Prarrie Badmen" from Buster Crabbe's Billy Carson series, because in this one Buster holds his own against the slapstick antics of his co-star Fuzzy St. John and has Kermit Maynard, a cowboy actor I'd seen in a lot of these westerns, but whose name I've only recently discovered, involved in several tounge and check fist-a-cuffs with both Crabbe and St. John.