Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Variety Article link about TCM database and schedule

lzcutter

This is either going to be an amazing and breathtaking change for TCM or it's going to be the beginning of the end with commercials popping up slowly but surely to help pay for the movies TCM will have to license.

I'm all for exciting changes... to a point. However if next year I turn on my TCM and I don't see Robert Osborne or if I see 1 commerical for anything but an upcoming movie I will shoot my Direct TV box and just watch DVDs.

Yancey Cravat.

Yancy,

While I share your abhorance of TCM and commercials, I am intriqued by the idea of "The Outsiders" highlighting maverick film makers. I look forward to that one as many times those films and those film makers don't get much recognition.

As for "Underground", it will sink or swim on its own (and I suspect may sink fast) only because its audience has so much more to do on weekend nights than when I was a kid.

Love the idea of the database and look forward to its debut.

We have to remember that TCM is a business but that said, I think they appreciate their very loyal base (all of us) and I don't think Robert Osborne is going anywhere and I don't think we will be seeing commercials. At least that's my fervent prayer.

I also want to thank you for posting the Variety article. I like the idea of the "Underground" movies being shown. I do however resent the comment in the article that TCM takes itself too seriously and feels the need to add this new feature to their line-up. I don't understand why showing silent movies, foreign movies, and pre-code movies is considered taking yourself too seriously. Why must everything have to appeal to the youth market in order to be hip?

The database sounds interesting... look forward to seeing it. As for the Underground films, well, I have to interest but if a "cooler" demographic will help them show more of what I want (transition/pre-codes 1927-1924) then I'm all for it. If not, and if there are more months like February, I'll have to think of dumping the digital cable.

February is the 31 days of Oscar and so the usual TCM schedule gets set aside each year to honor Oscar. Then in March, usually around the 5th or 6th (gotta get those 31 days and Feb. is a short month) the TCM returns to its regular self.