Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"A Touch of Evil" re-edit by Walter Murch

jfc-classicfan

I read a review that Orson Well's 1958 "A Touch of Evil" was re-edited in 1998 by Walter Murch, and turned a good movie into a great movie. Apparently, Well's original vision was brought out in the 1998 re-edit. So, I'm trying to find the 1998 version, and not sure how to identify it. I see the film on Netflix and other places with no mention of 1998. Is anyone familiar with the second version? Thank you for any help.

I read that the original version was very "far out" and some of Welles' decisions being on the lunatic fringe at least from some reasonable if not overly conservative colleagues. It would be great to have a look at it.

What do you mean by the original version.   I have seen two version;  the one released by the studio back in 1958 and a revised 'after death' type director's cut.    While both have many 'far out' scenes I wonder if by 'original' you mean a version Welles wanted to release back in 1958 that the studio never released and has never been seen by the public.  

A search of the TMC video library shows a blue ray edition that includes 3 versions of this film:

-- "Featuring three versions of the film - the Preview version, the Theatrical version and the Reconstructed version based on Orson Welles' original vision," Touch of Evil is a "a stylistic masterpiece!" --

Now the question becomes, Is The movie worth buying this dvd to watch all three versions?

What do you mean by the original version.   I have seen two version;  the one released by the studio back in 1958 and a revised 'after death' type director's cut.    While both have many 'far out' scenes I wonder if by 'original' you mean a version Welles wanted to release back in 1958 that the studio never released and has never been seen by the public.  

Yes, the latter, I think. These were ideas that were so far gone they were roundly rejected and never filmed. Something I read long ago, sorry I can't be more specific.