Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Truly Annoying Comic Relief

lydecker

Andy Devine made a career out of being annoying.

Yeah I suppose, but ya gotta admit his annoying act sure did wonders in getting little kids to pester their mothers to reach for one particular processed food item while strolling down their supermarket's cereal aisle back in the day anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBCfnNKCIs

• Like 1

I can't join the chorus here that is knocking Andy Devine.

Look, a large part of my childhood was watching him every Saturday morning as Jingles in Wild Bill Hickok. I adored that show as a kid and so Devine's name always gives me a major case of affectionate nostalgic reflection.

b32132d0-e6d1-4a2e-998a-931099d8ef07_zps

I even still have my Wild Bill Hickok lunchbox today, sitting among my tools, now filled with miscellaneous nails and screws.

Even now, as I write this, I think I can hear Jingles riding hard on horseback, calling out in that distinctive voice of his, to Bill, riding well ahead of him, "Wait for me!"

• Like 1

TomJH--Please watch the commercial Dargo posted & tell me what you think--because it makes Me shudder & wonder why people see Any charm in him at all??  This is meant as an honest question--what roles is he watchable in  & I've seen "Stagecoach" (1939) & wasn't favorably impressed with Andy Devine--this is a question from someone who grew up in the 1970's.

TomJH--Please watch the commercial Dargo posted & tell me what you think--because it makes Me shudder & wonder why people see Any charm in him at all??  This is meant as an honest question--what roles is he watchable in  & I've seen "Stagecoach" (1939) & wasn't favorably impressed with Andy Devine--this is a question from someone who grew up in the 1970's.

Well, film lover, I was shuddering, too, as I watched that commercial - BECAUSE JINGLES IS HARDLY IN IT!

I'm sure that as a kid I was probably rushing out to get my Sugar Pops after seeing that commercial then, high on the sugar, rushing outside again, only this time to punch a friend in the stomach. (I didn't have a stomach like Jingles so I couldn't bounce kids off me the way he could).

By the way, I rather like Andy Devine in Stagecoach, though there are a lot of actors in that road film that clearly make a bigger impression.

• Like 4

In one of my travels out west I had an overnight stay in Kingman, Arizona.   Kingman is Andy Devine's hometown and the main street is named for him.

The widest street in Kingman?

I'm not vying to become the titular character of this thread.

It does depend on who is doing the comic relief.

Couldn't stand Gabby Hayes, the poor actor with two teeth.

But I did enjoy the sidekick charm of Leo Carillo to the Cisco Kid.  

AgWBB.jpg

Don't worry, they were always laughing by the end of the episode. 

Andy Devine did get his comeuppance for being annoying when he got his own series and he was frequently upstaged by the most annoying puppet I remember from my toddler-hood, Froggy, and the creepiest, manipulated duo of performers, Midnight and Squeaky.

Andy's Gang gave me nightmares!

• Like 2

I can't join the chorus here that is knocking Andy Devine.

Look, a large part of my childhood was watching him every Saturday morning as Jingles in Wild Bill Hickok. I adored that show as a kid and so Devine's name always gives me a major case of affectionate nostalgic reflection.

b32132d0-e6d1-4a2e-998a-931099d8ef07_zps

I even still have my Wild Bill Hickok lunchbox today, sitting among my tools, now filled with miscellaneous nails and screws.

Even now, as I write this, I think I can hear Jingles riding hard on horseback, calling out in that distinctive voice of his, to Bill, riding well ahead of him, "Wait for me!"

I are many school lunches out of the that lunchbox. I can still taste the bologna sandwiches. Ugh.

• Like 1

It does depend on who is doing the comic relief.

Couldn't stand Gabby Hayes, the poor actor with two teeth.

But I did enjoy the sidekick charm of Leo Carillo to the Cisco Kid.  

AgWBB.jpg

Don't worry, they were always laughing by the end of the episode. 

Andy Devine did get his comeuppance for being annoying when he got his own series and he was frequently upstaged by the most annoying puppet I remember from my toddler-hood, Froggy, and the creepiest, manipulated duo of performers, Midnight and Squeaky.

Andy's Gang gave me nightmares!

Why did I watch the Andy Devine video? Maybe I'm sadistic. No wonder I never watched the show, it made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I did not recognize two of the mentioned annoying names mentioned here - Hugh Herbert and El Brendel.  Even looking up their photos didn't help too much in placing them in a irritating sense.  I guess that's lucky for me.

I'm glad that Andy Devine doesn't annoy me - he's in too many good movies.

George "Gabby" Hayes was a very good actor.  He got some fine opportunities in the 30's Cassidy films to be three-dimensional.  And he has a nice non-Gabby role as an appreciatiive recipient of Mr. Deeds' largesse in MR DEEDS GOES TO TOWN.

As for Andy Devine, he has a great scene in MEN OF THE TIMBERLAND (one of the pictures he did with Dick Arlen) where his pal, played by Paul E. Burns, is killed and Devine goes berserk, wrecking the cafe like a bull in a china shop.

I'm glad that Andy Devine doesn't annoy me - he's in too many good movies.

Yes, I think Andy Devine gets a free pass from some people because he was in a few classic John Ford films (and does fairly well in them). But he also appeared in a lot of B films, too, where he's just giving a paint-by-number performance as a broad buffoon character.

However, I think he gets away from his usual tics and overly affected mannerisms is ISLAND IN THE SKY. There's a scene, if I remember correctly, where we see him shirtless (swimming, or in a locker room at the Y)...and he seems very vulnerable, perhaps because all his flabbiness is exposed. Plus, he plays a family man with a wife and kids in ISLAND IN THE SKY, and I think it's closer to who he was off screen. It's a shame he didn't have more opportunities to play genuine dramatic roles.

I just find it very disconcerting and actually tragic that Andy Devine and Pat Buttram [of "Green Acres" fame as Mr. Haney] never got to play father and son in a film.

It would have been so wonderful as casting.

I guess I will just have to live with the brilliant casting of Pat McCormick and Paul Williams as father and son in that Burt Reynolds epic, as my favorite paterfamilias and son duo.

• Like 1

Pat McCormick seemed to have a distinctive vibe, at least to me,  to his joke writing. I would hear jokes from Johnny Carson's monologues and think "that can only  be a Pat McCormick written joke".  His humor was so "off the wall" and  irrelevant. Carson would tell the joke and it took a few seconds before you got it, and it was funny.  It was well known that after Johnny retired he would send jokes to David Letterman for his monologues. But sometimes I think some McCormick jokes would slip in there. Either Johnny's joke was influenced by McCormick's style or the joke came straight from McCormick.   McCormick had a long resume of writing for different shows and comedians.

Andy helped give me a retort in my chorus class in high school one day.

We do all know Mr. Devine had that distinctive rasp and tone to his voice.

And one day, when Mr. Merritt, the chorus teacher was having some auditions for the robed choir, he had another female teacher give an example of what he wanted.  I thought her voice would crack tempered automobile glass.  HE thought it was GREAT.

He did kind of swell up and ask us...."Don't you think her voice is simply DIVINE?"  And I couldn't resist----

"Yeah, " I shot out---"ANDY Devine!" 

Got not only a big laugh from the class, but also got  ME sent to the office.  But it was well worth it!

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Victor McLagen was much more annoying in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon than Andy Devine in Stagecoach. In the former Victor had extended set pieces that were actually disruptive and not funny while in the latter Andy was reduced to a few utterances here and there that served as a foil for some of the heavier stuff going on with others. I didn't mind Andy in that movie. ...all the above IMHO

As to that horrible commercial ,that was Andy on the box, was it? The ad was awful enough as it is. At least Andy didn't say anything. We can be grateful for that. Love that graphic, "...and shot with sugar," whatever it was. They sure wouldn't do that today.

• Like 2