Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

Dissappearing Posts and Threads

There was a time when a thread would just get "locked up" for whatever reason?

But we could still go back, look at the posts, and if we chose, see what might have led up to it's fate.

But now posts and even whole threads just seem to vanish into la la land.

I was looking for the DGF "Attention: Ben" thread, but it seems to have totally vanished.

I thought there were a few amusing posts in that thread and I wanted to reread them, but now I'm thinking maybe I just confabulated the whole thing in my mind, and that thought sorta scares me.... 

It did exist didn't it?

Did DGF delete his own thread?

Or did a Mod pull it?

And if either of the above occurred "why?"

I find it hard to believe that DGF would have been embarrassed by anything in that thread.

Nor, can I remember anything so nocuous that a Mod would deem it necessary to pull?

What lead to it's (like so many other now "vanished" posts and threads) demise?

I find the absurdity of some of this stuff almost as, perhaps even more so, scary than the thought that I may actually be losing my mind!

What's going on here?

Can anyone (Mods included) offer some explanation?

Does anybody know?

Cause I sureashell can't figure it out....

• Like 2

BTW, as a possible point of interest,

I saw more captioned profanity last night, on TCMs presentation of Zazie Dans Le Metro (1960) than I have ever seen anyone use in posts on these boards.

And it was ALL uncensored, unedited, and commercial free!

So why would, should, is it, that these boards be, are, so heavily and trivially censored?

• Like 1

so, before THIS too goes into 'the cornfield', just wanted to heartily agree :ph34r:

Things are gettin' WAY tooo sensitive here!

So not only sex, profanity, violence (which I can understand) aren't allowed but now criticism and anything that MIGHT possibly lead to controversy aren't allowed??

It WOULD be nice if the Mods had the courtesy to explain WHY threads may disappear so we can understand the new rules around here.

Can't very well comply if we don't know what they are....Right?? :wacko:

• Like 3

Stephan55--I can answer one question:

Yes, the DGF "Attention: Ben" thread existed--it was a congratulations thread for winning a dinner at a Philadelphia restaurant (I assume)--I forget the name of the restaurant.

Mod #1 posted in one of the threads posted the morning of the spam inundation that all threads related to it except one were deleted or going to be deleted--that's one thread in Gen. Disc. & one in "Info. Please.  That's all of 3 threads--another in favor of censorship in Gen. Discs. (that's how I interpreted it) was pulled because I read (& I forget which thread, blast it) the OP's viewpoint got at least 3 pages of contradicting views)--& I haven't seen it since--that's 4 posts.

Stephan55--There Have been disappearing threads in Gen. Discs.  You're Not going crazy--hope I've helped. :)  

• Like 1

the OP's viewpoint got at least 3 pages of contradicting views

Bad-mouthing Ben has been an old and often repeated activity in these forums. Just his name alone sets off the haters.

So, shutting it down is pretty much the standard policy when that stuff starts. It gets to be too much of an aggravation to pick out the poison, so an entire delete ends up being the final action.

So why would, should, is it, that these boards be, are, so heavily and trivially censored?

I believe that argument could be made that viewer has many options for learning if movie contains profanity prior to viewing it while user of this forum has no such option prior to opening thread. 

Some forums use: NSFW tag on posts which contain material which some might find offensive. That is not available here.

I try to keep in mind that censorship in this forum is not intended to curtail my words or words of majority of posters. We are unfortunate collateral victims of rules necessary to prevent those few juvenile posters who would flood boards with foul language if ability existed.

To require that all posters pass mental health examination and meet established criteria of mature behaviour would achieve same effect but cost would be prohibitive.

• Like 4

Bad-mouthing Ben has been an old and often repeated activity in these forums. Just his name alone sets off the haters.

So, shutting it down is pretty much the standard policy when that stuff starts. It gets to be too much of an aggravation to pick out the poison, so an entire delete ends up being the final action.

I'm struggling to recall the evolution of that thread but I don't believe it was pulled because of a discussion of Ben.  I think it had hit some other note that the mod did not like.  If you recall the original DGF post was about his approaching 50,000 posts.  And you must know that people have differing opinions about the 'counts' and how it often leads to bumping up threads that should have died a natural death long ago.

I did make a remark that after 50,000 posts the counter is reset to zero.  I thought that was kind of funny so worth repeating here.

• Like 2

Locking a "bad" thread used to be the common method, but some people would then start whole new threads on the same topic, with titles like "WHY DID YOU LOCK MY THREAD?" Well, that next thread sometimes was locked, then a third thread would start.

So, if a "bad" thread just silently totally disappears now, a lot of people can't find it, and they can't remember its title or what forum it was in, so that helps cut down on the "WHY DID YOU LOCK MY THREAD" threads.

• Like 1

Locking a "bad" thread used to be the common method, but some people would then start whole new threads on the same topic, with titles like "WHY DID YOU LOCK MY THREAD?" Well, that next thread sometimes was locked, then a third thread would start.

So, if a "bad" thread just silently totally disappears now, a lot of people can't find it, and they can't remember its title or what forum it was in, so that helps cut down on the "WHY DID YOU LOCK MY THREAD" threads.

You are assuming it was reasonable to remove the thread entirely in the first place.

• Like 2

You are assuming it was reasonable to remove the thread entirely in the first place.

No I'm not. I'm telling you about a change in tactics.

• Like 1

I didn't recall any Ben "bad mouthing" when I had last looked at the "Attention: Ben" thread. I believe it was related to some dinner "prize" at the Musso & Frank Grill  in Hollywood, to "any" poster who reached 50,000 posts, alludedly offered by Ben himself?

So I don't think that would explain it's disappearance. Unless it ran in that direction after I had last seen it? :huh:

I'm struggling to recall the evolution of that thread but I don't believe it was pulled because of a discussion of Ben.  I think it had hit some other note that the mod did not like.  If you recall the original DGF post was about his approaching 50,000 posts.  And you must know that people have differing opinions about the 'counts' and how it often leads to bumping up threads that should have died a natural death long ago.

I did make a remark that after 50,000 posts the counter is reset to zero.  I thought that was kind of funny so worth repeating here.

Ha! I do remember that post... very funny. The thread seemed relatively tame up to that point, so the fuse must have been lit sometime afterward...

• Like 1

Well that does make some kind of insidious sense Fred.

Still, (Spam attack aside)  I'd rather see a dozen threads "locked" for redundancy, AND remain readable, than have one just disappear, without explanation.

Sort of reminds me of the mysteriously changing "laws" on the side of the barn in Animal Farm. Only the animals with longevity remembered that there used to be another way. All the young'ins just thought that is how it always had been.

Still doesn't explain why that last thread was done away with?

Does anyone remember the last few posts, that might give us a hint.

• Like 1

It is possible that if you knew then Moderators would have to make you disappear.

;)

• Like 1

I decry practically all forms of censorship....

And it does appear alittle odd, if not ironic, that while TCM espouses uncensored, unedited, uncut, broadcasting, that these boards seem to reflect an opposite philosophy.

Perhaps if we all wrote our posts in French, we'd be able to better speak our minds, without being censored for it?

Eh, Fred ;)

BTW, I welcome any Moderator commentary....

Still, (Spam attack aside)  I'd rather see a dozen threads "locked" for redundancy, AND remain readable, than have one just disappear, without explanation.

Sort of reminds me of the mysteriously changing "laws" on the side of the barn in Animal Farm. Only the animals with longevity remembered that there used to be another way. All the young'ins just thought that is how it always had been.

Still doesn't explain why that last thread was done away with?

One poster objected to all others who criticized bumping up old threads and changing their titles just to keep them alive.  This poster was at odds with several people and the mod pulled the plug.

One poster objected to all others who criticized bumping up old threads and changing their titles just to keep them alive.  This poster was at odds with several people and the mod pulled the plug.

That again?

Boy, that's been happening a lot lately. Maybe the moderator will get wise at some point and kill those threads that keep getting renamed and offending people because of it.

• Like 1

I might add that the 'discussion' really was never heated in any way.  But it was developing into a "circle" argument like always where nothing would ever be resolved.

• Like 1

It is possible that if you knew then Moderators would have to make you disappear.

;)

Well, if I suddenly stop posting for an extended period of time, you folks may have to consider that possibility...

And then be afraid!........ B  e    V  e  r  y     A  f  r  a  i  d . . . . :o

Ah, now I think we are possibly getting to the "meat" of it.

It is beginning to appear as clear as mud to me now.

It's ashame that no thread, no matter how apparently benign it may begin, appears to be totally immune to that sort of "thing" occurring.

That again?

Boy, that's been happening a lot lately. Maybe the moderator will get wise at some point and kill those threads that keep getting renamed and offending people because of it.

But the philosophy in that regard appears to be it's better to just kill off the patient/s than eliminate the source of the actual infection...

Well this may help to explain, "why" that particular thread dissappeared.... But there are so many these days, as well as individual posts, just vanishing!

Surely they ALL could not have suffered from that same affliction, could they? :unsure:

• Like 1

I didn't say it wasn't insidious. I said it was a new moderation tactic.

I think I would rather see threads locked too, with a note from the moderator about why they were locked.

But I don't worry about that too much. I don't like fighting and flaming threads anyway. Let's get on to talking about movies and our own personal experiences in life, as they relate to movies. :)

• Like 2

I might add that the 'discussion' really was never heated in any way.  But it was developing into a "circle" argument like always where nothing would ever be resolved.

Well if "resolution" is the criteria for any post or thread being allowed to exist on these (and most any "discussion") boards, then there would likely be NO threads at all!

Unless there is a such a limited amount of server space hosting these forums, that would mandate the "deletion" of threads to recoup said space for additional threads, I can really not see that as any kind of justification for removing a thread.

And if there were or is such a dearth of space, then I'd think a more reasonable approach would be elimination of the oldest threads first.  

Well this may help to explain, "why" that particular thread dissappeared.... But there are so many these days, as well as individual posts, just vanishing!

What I like to say about things like that is..... "Well, it's Germany around 1933."

A year or so later, after more changes, I might say, "Well, now it's Germany around 1936."

And then, of course, later, "It's Germany around 1938 or 39."

All of this meaning.... things are getting worse and worse.

The reason I cut Leni so much slack is because her last known political film was TRIUMPH in 1934, which was very early. Her 1936 OLYMPIA films were later, but quite liberal.... especially her liberal coverage of the black American sportsmen, and her shots of the audience showing people from all Nations, including Americans, British, Japanese, French, etc, with complete objectivity. Of course she had to show scenes of Hitler in the audience, becuse he was the "president" of the hosting country. But that doesn't mean she was "promoting" Hitler in her 1936 film as she had done in her 1934 film.

• Like 1

I didn't say it wasn't insidious. I said it was a new moderation tactic.

I think I would rather see threads locked too, with a note from the moderator about why they were locked.

But I don't worry about that too much. I don't like fighting and flaming threads anyway. Let's get on to talking about movies and our own personal experiences in life, as they relate to movies. :)

I wasn't referring that you said that Fred, I was inferring that as a "tactic" it was insidious.

And such insidious tactics, as part of a greater dubious strategy, have been used many times before, and are so mentioned in literature both allegorically and in metaphor.

I know that you know what I am talking about.

I dislike "flaming" as well, but sometimes our relatively innocent posts about movies and our experiences fall by the wayside when a thread is deleted, for any reason.

And, I would really like to have some sense of a "resolution" within this thread! :)

Still hoping that a Moderator will chime in, would love to have his or her input.

Hopefully before they decide to make this thread "disappear."