Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Treasures From The Disney Vault

Some classic Disney animated shorts are scheduled as part of TCM's Treasures From the Disney Vault segment on October 28:

The Three Little Wolves 

The Big Bad Wolf 

The Three Little Pigs

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Lonesome Ghosts

three-little-pigs.jpg

ichabodandmrtoad_disney_splash650.jpg

lonesome-ghosts-disney.jpg

Also airing is Tim Burton's original Frankenweenie short for Disney Studios in 1984, which Burton remade as a 3-D animated feature film in 2012, also for Disney.

The short is an homage to Frankenstein (and Bride of Frankenstein) and features Barret Oliver as young Victor Frankenstein, who brings his dog Sparky back to life.

Victor's parents are played by Shelley Duvall and Daniel Stern.

frankenweenieretro.jpg

Two feature films from the 1970s I've never seen are scheduled as well:

Escape To Witch Mountain and Return From Witch Mountain 

The second movie features Bette Davis.

return-03.jpg

Just a reminder for tonight :D

with "....Ichabod & Mr. Toad" being a favorite....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Ichabod_and_Mr._Toad

IchabodMrToad_01.jpg

"With a hip, hip and a clippety-clop, he's out looking for a top to chop..." I've really been enjoying this evening. I always look forward to the Disney nights, and the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is one of my favorites.

I still remember going to see the Witch Mountain movies in the theaters with the ol' gang. They are sooooo '70's, lol.

I'm not an expert in any sense of the word when it comes to this whole ratio and aspect thing. But, what I have noticed is that when Disney airs "letterboxed" movies, either something at the top or the bottom will get chopped off in terms of scenery, etc. This has happened on lots of their movies that they air on Disney Family Movies and some of the ones that I've seen on TCM.  I have many older recordings of Disney movies and when you compare, the cuts are obvious.

Since I just got back from Ireland, I want to see The Fighting Prince of Donegal.  It was shown in segments on  that "Wonderful World of Disney" show (or whatever it was called) on Sunday nights, back in the late 60s (I think....)

Anyone know the movie I'm talking about? I suspect it isn't very good, but since it's about Irish history (sortof) I 'd like to see it. I was in County Donegal a few days ago, and want to compare the real thing with the Disney version. (Just kidding ! I'm pretty sure the movie was filmed entirely in California.)

TCM aired TFPoD on their St. Patrick's offerings. It has also aired a couple of times on the Disney Family Movies channel.

Disney Channel used to show the Tim Burton's FRANKENWEENIE short around Halloween in the 1990s.

It's really good. 

Disney Channel would also show the movie HOCUS POCUS and Disney Channel Original Programing like HALLOWEENTOWN starring Debbie Reynolds. 

The Frankenweenie short is also currently airing on the Disney Family Movies channel, along with Hocus Pocus, Mr. Boogedy, The Watcher in the Woods and Blackbeard's Ghost. The regular channel still airs the Halloweentown movies. Last October DFM aired The Ghosts of Buxley Hall and The Mystery of Dracula's Castle with Johnny Whitaker and Mariette Hartley.

It's just too bad the regular Disney Channel went almost exclusively with tot and tween fare and abandoned their Vault Disney and older movie airings. I used to love to tune in to Zorro with Guy Williams late at night. On Saturday afternoons they used to air their serials, like Spin and Marty, The Hardy Boys and Annette.

• Like 1

I'd already seen THE THREE LITTLE PIGS, but I saw THE BIG BAD WOLF and THE THREE LITTLE WOLVES for the first time when they aired on TCM last night.

I had to laugh at the part in THE BIG BAD WOLF where, in response to the "what big eyes you have," the Wolf says "All the better to look you over, dearie" while leering at Little Red Riding Hood. The Wolf also breaks into a Jimmy Durante impression in that scene.  

The opening of THE THREE LITTLE WOLVES is bizarrely humorous, with the Wolf singing to his sons the edible parts of a pig to the tune of a German folk song: "Ist da schnictein sausage meat?"

The WITCH MOUNTAIN movies were aired in widescreen on TCM.

Letterboxing is used to preserve the widescreen aspect ratio of movies.

VHS movie releases were (with a few exceptions) in pan-and-scan full frame without letterboxing.

• Like 1

Did'ya notice in orig "3 Little Pigs" there were 2 pictures on the wall, with 'mother' being a mom pig & piglets and 'father' being a string of SAUSAGES !

(one of the animators had a wicked sense of humor) ;)

Did'ya notice in orig "3 Little Pigs" there were 2 pictures on the wall, with 'mother' being a mom pig & piglets and 'father' being a string of SAUSAGES !

(one of the animators had a wicked sense of humor) ;)

Haha!

One of the images in the original post in this thread has that photo of the father.   

• 3 weeks later...

The Big Bad Wolf was a fun cartoon that put the Three Little Pigs in the story of Little Red Riding Hood.

The Big Bad Wolf appears in drag twice in this film: first as Goldilocks the Fairy Queen and later posing as Red Riding Hood's grandmother.

vlcsnap-2012-04-13-18h36m51s100.png

silly2.jpg

The Wolf does another drag turn in The Three Little Wolves, dressing as Bo Peep to trick the pigs into inviting him into their house.

the-three-little-wolves-c2a9-walt-disney

• Like 1