Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is putting together the monthly schedules?

clore

How is it that so many movies have listings of actors who were nowhere near the top of the credits? For example, Reed Hadley is listed as the star of The Baron of Arizona and Leave Her to Heaven.

There's not one movie tonight that shows David Niven as being in it. Elvis is missing from Kissin' Cousins. Billy Gilbert is shown to be the star of The Kissing Bandit.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

Would he only were.

But seriously.  I've seen it happen before, but not nearly so much as with this month's sked.

Yes, I've seen it before with movies such as Sunrise at Campobello where they used the closing credits order of the cast members which was done in order of their appearance. But I'm not surprised that the printed materials are declining in quality, the on-air intros have been loaded with goofs lately. There seems to be almost no quality control anymore. But I know from experience then when broadcasters start cutting staff, they tend to go attack the support services first.

Yes, they do make state-of-the-art promos, and they have the festivals and cruises to arrange and promote. But the average person isn't looking for anything more than accurate info. There are people in this forum who would probably love to proof read the intros and make corrections. Thus. you wouldn't have Ben saying that Robert Alda plays a pianist who loses his hand in The Beast With Five Fingers, or that "Coming up next, we continue with our Halloween theme to present The Grim Reaper. That was not a horror film despite it title.

Introducing 1968's Dark of the Sun on September 12, it was claimed that Jim Brown had started his film career the year before in The Dirty Dozen. Wrong, it was 1964's Rio Conchos that saw Brown start his career.

On September 18, in describing an incident that occurred when Universal screened In the Navy for Naval brass, he claimed they objected to a sequence where Abbott impersonates an Admiral. It was Costello who did the impersonating and it was a Captain, not an Admiral.

The outro for Dark Alibi on September 20 saw Osborne pitching the latest DVD set "with four Charlie Chan films, all starring Sidney Toler" and he goes on to recite the titles.

Toler is not in The Chinese Ring, one of the titles mentioned. That's Roland Winters. Now just how tough is that for some "researcher" to verify? There's IMDb, TCM has its own database and there's also the DVD box. Or call me up and ask me

In the intro for the next film, Dangerous Money, Osborne referred to Toler as the second actor to play Charlie Chan. Nope - he was the fourth, preceded by George Kuwa, Sojin Kamiyama, and Warner Oland. It's not as if this stuff can't be found.

In September it was said that 3 Worlds of Gulliver so typed Kerwin Matthews that nobody ever thought of him as anything other than a fantasy hero from then on. I guess Shadow of Evil, The Viscount, Barquero and Maniac have all disappeared from the history books. Plus he said Matthews was born in 1928 - both the IMDb and TCM's own database have it as 1926.

In late August, he referred to The Wild Bunch as the first collaboration of Warren Oates and Sam Peckinpah.

I guess that Ride the High Country and Major Dundee don't count.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

• Like 5

I wonder if there could be an ongoing thread which people could post the errors in the intros/outros they notice.  This may act as a prompt for TCM to aspire to a higher standard.

I raised that a while back, before the boards upgrade. I didn't get much encouragement. I did recently start something along those lines on the IMDb message board for Robert Osborne. I recognize it's not his fault, but I needed to log it somewhere that I could have other join in. You see, I don't claim to know everything, but I'm probably more familiar with the basic product of the studio era - the kind of stuff that didn't get mentioned in Bob's book on the Oscars.

lafitte--agreed--"nobody's perfect".  But it's awful hard to forget Elvis is in "Kissin' Cousins" (1964), & that Frank Sinatra & Kathryn Grayson star in "The Kissing Bandit (1948)--clore--someone(s) saw your post last night--the online daily schedule (one of the links at the top of my computer page) had been showing wrong cast information for the David Niven films--I checked the daily  online schedule around 10:00--the correct information was up.

What do you all mean nobody's perfect?  I, and I alone, am perfect. 

I am MR. G -- THE HUMAN DEITY and don't anyone forget it!  I don't got any problems whatever with being An Infalliable (sic) Mighty Bein'.  And I dig double-negatives, too.  Pope Francis ain't doo-doo compared to me! 

Anyway, me and my Holy Flock Of Geese are going out to smite us some heathen!   :)  

• Like 1

I wonder if there could be an ongoing thread which people could post the errors in the intros/outros they notice.  This may act as a prompt for TCM to aspire to a higher standard.

We did start a thread along those lines over a year ago. It's called 'Wraparound Errors' and can be found here:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/50107-wraparound-errors/

lafitte--agreed--"nobody's perfect".  But it's awful hard to forget Elvis is in "Kissin' Cousins" (1964), & that Frank Sinatra & Kathryn Grayson star in "The Kissing Bandit (1948)--clore--someone(s) saw your post last night--the online daily schedule (one of the links at the top of my computer page) had been showing wrong cast information for the David Niven films--I checked the daily  online schedule around 10:00--the correct information was up.

I just reloaded the month schedule.  Every entry I looked at omits the lead actors.  For The Ghost and Mrs. Muir we have:

Vanessa Brown, Anna Lee, Whitford Kane

OK--I was clicking on the DAILY schedules--Leave Her to Heaven gets one out of three right--the daily schedules TCM appears to be fixing--my mistake--Sorry. :(

Yesterday, the schedule had Reed Hadley as the star of Leave Her to Heaven and The Baron of Arizona. Today it's Vincent Price for the former and Karen Kester for the latter.

• Like 1

How is it that so many movies have listings of actors who were nowhere near the top of the credits. For example, Reed Hadley is listed as the star of The Baron of Arizona and Leave Her to Heaven.

There's not one movie tonight that shows David Niven as being in it. Elvis is missing from Kissin' Cousins. Billy Gilbert is shown to be the star of The Kissing Bandit.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

This is called "Marketing". If you don't have any new programming you just repackage the old stuff ( rearranging the names) and hope that a large number of people believe they are going to see a different movie...This new deception hasn't been around that long but it seems to have spread to all channels and all listing services.

This is called "Marketing". If you don't have any new programming you just repackage the old stuff ( rearranging the names) and hope that a large number of people believe they are going to see a different movie...This new deception hasn't been around that long but it seems to have spread to all channels and all listing services.

I'm afraid I can't agree.  There is surely some software mix-up.  The Month Schedule is misidentifying the starring cast even for premieres.  And there is no way TCM would ever have to repackage The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

I'm afraid I can't agree.  There is surely some software mix-up.  The Month Schedule is misidentifying the starring cast even for premieres.  And there is no way TCM would ever have to repackage The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR is not a premiere. It's aired four or five times on TCM. But I agree that it must be some sort of software glitch.

• Like 1

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR is not a premiere. It's aired four or five times on TCM. But I agree that it must be some sort of software glitch.

I didn't mean to imply it was.  To explicate:  Even if Mrs. Muir were shown a thousand times, TCM would never fail to list Gene Tierney as a star.  Not for marketing.  Not for any other reason, save for a mistake.

• Like 1

I didn't mean to imply it was.  To explicate:  Even if Mrs. Muir were shown a thousand times, TCM would never fail to list Gene Tierney as a star.  Not for marketing.  Not for any other reason, save for a mistake.

Yes, I get what you meant. I just wanted to make sure we clarified that MRS. MUIR was not a premiere, in case someone new to TCM and the message boards came along and read that and thought it was. That's all.

How is it that so many movies have listings of actors who were nowhere near the top of the credits.

I'm guessing that's a question?

You obviously know who the star of the movie is, why does a listing matter to you?

Or are you simply trying to point out another failure of TCM? 

I use the monthly schedule listing to choose what movies to watch, which ones to record.....and mistakes don't bother me- it's just movies on a TV channel.

• Like 1

How is it that so many movies have listings of actors who were nowhere near the top of the credits.

I'm guessing that's a question?

You obviously know who the star of the movie is, why does a listing matter to you?

Or are you simply trying to point out another failure of TCM? 

I use the monthly schedule listing to choose what movies to watch, which ones to record.....and mistakes don't bother me- it's just movies on a TV channel.

In the spirit of this thread's intentions, thank you for pointing out my typo. I will go back to fix it if I'm not prevented from doing so. See, simple and appreciated. I'd rather be right, even if it means that someone must point out an error. But obviously mistakes must bother you, otherwise you would not have commented. After all, it's just words on a computer screen. ;)

All kidding aside, my thanks are sincere.

i've also noticed the strange billing given to the B-players in the schedule, cannot imagine how that happened.

honestly though, there are SO MANY bugs in the schedule this site provides, films are often mislabeled (a lot of films are considered to be "HORROR" when they are so not); lots of times the wrong synopsis is provided, sometimes the synopsis for the film ends halfway through and is replaced by the synopsis for another film, VERY OFTEN the links to the DVDs of the film are TOTALLY WRONG (usually a similar title, but miles off in all other respects) and finally I've noticed the Maltin reviews are often wrong(er than they already are)- not matching the film for which they are meant to be accompanying, and very often NOT INCLUDED, (often the case when they're showing a really bad film that likely got a terrible review.)

it's weirdness all around.

That said, today and tonight's schedules are pretty damned good- the Gish films followed by a Tierney double feature followed by- OMG- BOB'S PICK OF A CLOCKWORK ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

That said, today and tonight's schedules are pretty damned good- the Gish films followed by a Tierney double feature followed by- OMG- BOB'S PICK OF A CLOCKWORK ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is a very nice schedule today but I do get a chuckle that Osborne's favorite actress (or one of them according to his own words) is neglected in the schedule's listings for Leave Her to Heaven and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

I have a dedicated browser tab for the monthly schedule and must admit that I just about never look at the daily schedule. I have noticed goofs with clicking the links, so if there's anything to double-check I just go to my IMDb browser tab. Not that they are perfect either and I do submit corrections/additions there whenever necessary.

• Like 2

i've also noticed the strange billing given to the B-players in the schedule, cannot imagine how that happened.

honestly though, there are SO MANY bugs in the schedule this site provides, films are often mislabeled (a lot of films are considered to be "HORROR" when they are so not); lots of times the wrong synopsis is provided, sometimes the synopsis for the film ends halfway through and is replaced by the synopsis for another film, VERY OFTEN the links to the DVDs of the film are TOTALLY WRONG (usually a similar title, but miles off in all other respects) and finally I've noticed the Maltin reviews are often wrong(er than they already are)- not matching the film for which they are meant to be accompanying, and very often NOT INCLUDED, (often the case when they're showing a really bad film that likely got a terrible review.)

My theory is that it is "New Intern Time" at TCM and folks who actually know something are not bothering to double check the work.  Did you ever notice how service in chain restaurants declines in the fall?  Summer help go back to school and newbies are hired to screw up your order.