Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Sunday Silents (and REAL classics) soon to be a thing of the past?

I just got an email containing the schedule for March 2003, and I notice that there are no silent movies scheduled for March. As someone who is a long-time fan of the silent genre, and one who looks forward to this glimpse back in time, I can't understand why TCM would stop showing them every week. I was overjoyed when I found out that TCM shows silent movies on a regular basis, having spent part of my youth watching them in a vaudeville-era theater, complete with Wurlitzer theater organ (and I'm only 28!). Say it ain't so that they are doing away with hte silent movies!!! :(

BTW, I notice that there are more and more 1980's films cropping up in the schedules for Feb and March. I hardly would call 1995's "Little Princess" a classic, either, but that one is also on the schedule. I hope that TCM is not slowly embarking on the same downward slope that AMC has already taken!

I say we all email TCM and tell them to leave the "contemporary classics" to other channels, or else face the same diatribes that AMC has taken from fans and press alike!

Every year in March, TCM does a month long review of Oscar winning and nominated films. since most of the silent era preceded Oscar, few silent movies are shown in March.

Stay tuned though, you will be amazed by what's coming in April!

Honestly, if I had a nickel for every TCM newbie who panicked over newer films in the schedule, I could start TCM2.

But as a longtime viewer of TCM and subscriber to the NOW PLAYING guide (almost six years now), I can assure you that they have always had a smattering of films from the last couple of decades in their schedule, and that the bulk of their programming comes from their substantial holdings of the MGM, RKO, and pre-1948 Warner Brothers film libraries. Nothing much has changed in that time. In fact, it's gotten better -- TCM is leasing more of the films that AMC was showing in its glory days, primarily the pre-1948 Paramount and 20th Century-Fox libraries.

And it's already been pointed out here that TCM does a real bang-up tribute to the Oscars every March, during which regularly scheduled showcases are suspended. But I think you'll be very happy with April's offerings, when the Star of the Month will be (drum roll, please) -- HAROLD LLOYD!

Dan, you have me LOL over here! I'll join you in starting TCM2 with all the nickles I get from people who are afraid of TCM becoming like AMC--how many different discussions have been started on that subject?? Anyway, thanks for setting everyone straight. :)

Actually, I'm not exactly a newbie; I've been watching TCM since August 2001.

I didn't recall them doing this last year, but then, I was going a very stressful time at work (you try being a head teller w/o being trained for it beforehand), so TCM was the last thing on my mind. Nice to get the reassurance, though.

BTW, I cut my teeth as a youngster reading every Harold Lloyd book I could get my hands on, so thanks for the heads up on SOTM. I wonder if they will show any of the few surviving Lonesome Luke shorts?

Okay, I'm certainly not a newbie, but I think the concern that many people feel is that with the "demise" of the old AMC and their new formatting, anything is possible. Currently, the media seems to jump along on any old bandwagon that even remotely turns a buck (The Batchelor, The Batchelorette, Paradise Island, Big Brother, Joe Millionaire...hmmm, which came first? I can't remember) and loyal viewers just get nervous.

Change the programming? Not probable...just possible. And the thought of losing the great station we have is depressing, to say the least. I think that's where people's hysteria stems from, and I confess to feeling somewhat nervous myself. However, I will try and keep the faith...

I've watched TCM from the beginning and AMC before that...back since the late 80's. This is ALL a business for them and as long as they are getting great ratings and making money everything will be fine. And I see no problems with that in the future...but never say never and never get complacent...can ANYONE in this day and age say ANYTHING is a certainty? Ted lost a chunk of money last year, same with AOL/time warner. TCM is the only game in town now and I expect it to remain so for some time...so enjoy.

• 6 years later...

Ok, folks, this is the oldest thread that I could find in the General Discussions forum about TCM showing "newer" movies. It's from 6 years ago!

I'm sure if I went into the Hot Topics forum, I could find similar postings.

And if you read coffeedan's response, you notice that even back in 2003, this was not a new topic. BTW, coffeedan, are you still out there?

Maybe this will help alleviate concerns that some have about TCM showing films made after 1970.

Sandy K, longtime fan and poster

*Honestly, if I had a nickel for every TCM newbie who panicked over newer films in the schedule, I could start TCM2.*

Ha! That made me laugh! It was worth bumping up this thread just for that! :)

*"And if you read coffeedan's response, you notice that even back in 2003, this was not a new topic. BTW, coffeedan, are you still out there?"* - sandykaypaxdennispickettburnside

Hello SandyK.

I saw 'coffeedan' logged-in not too long ago. I assume he and 'coffeedan1927' are one and the same.

Kyle In Hollywood

A film is not a classic if nobody has herd of it. TCM plays the films that are classics, that's what the C stands for. You're right, Little Princess is not a classic but then again neither are most of the silent movies. But I could be wrong, maybe any movie can be a classic. Well, almost every movie.

*I saw 'coffeedan' logged-in not too long ago. I assume he and 'coffeedan1927' are one and the same.*

Kyle,

They are, indeed, one and the same. Coffeedan lost the 1927 part of his name, if I remember correctly, in that notorious message board upgrade of early 2005.

*Coffeedan lost the 1927 part of his name, if I remember correctly, in that notorious message board upgrade of early 2005.* - lzcutter

Oops, I misunderstood Kyle. I thought he meant coffeedan1927 was online. I only remember sans1927, who posted much less frequently after I joined. I seem to have that effect... :-)

*I only remember sans1927, who posted much less frequently after I joined. I seem to have that effect*

Trust me, patful,

This one wasn't your fault.

I have it on good authority if that helps!

Lynn,

Hey, I remember this thread back in the day. Are you aware that TCM had to pull GLORIOUS BETSY (1928) with Delores Costello from the May line-up? It would have been a Television premier too. Discouraging.

Oh well, at least we are still getting the American TCM of THE WHITE SISTER, and also BIG STAKES too. Do you know if they will be running the brand new David Shepard restoration of Fairbanks THE MARK OF ZORRO (1920) found on the Flicker Alley DVD release with the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra score? Or will it be the same old same old?

Hey speaking of Premier's, Victor Seastrom's THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE is on Silent Sundays this week! That's a debut, and has not even been released on DVD yet in this country. Only in Sweden. Poweful movie too!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I barely ever post anymore--just lurk. I think it's partly because I have nothing new to add to discussions that have been going on for years, like the TCM newer movies debate.

But now I'm on a roll. I may even start a new thread! Watch out! :D

Kyle, thanks for getting my FULL name on your post. LOL!

Sandy K

> {quote:title=silentkarina wrote:}{quote}

> I just got an email containing the schedule for March 2003, and I notice that there are no silent movies scheduled for March. As someone who is a long-time fan of the silent genre, and one who looks forward to this glimpse back in time, I can't understand why TCM would stop showing them every week. I was overjoyed when I found out that TCM shows silent movies on a regular basis, having spent part of my youth watching them in a vaudeville-era theater, complete with Wurlitzer theater organ (and I'm only 28!). Say it ain't so that they are doing away with the silent movies!!! :(

>

If you search the forums, there is a forum for the "Young Film Composers Competition" and it was explained to me that the YFCC program has been put to sleep because of economic issues... The previous sponsors could no longer afford to sponsor the project. Search that forum, and it might explain where Silent Sundays went to.

As I recall, if correctly, March used to be the month they used to air the YFCC winners? It was previously done just after "30 days of Oscar"

Now, I am upset to learn the project has been shelved, I think the YFCC was breathing new life into these Silents, I especially liked "Souls for Sale" which was done a few years back.

TCM had been airing previous winners of the YFCC on Silent Sundays, but without that program in place, maybe it is inappropriate for some reason to air those winners, or possibly there is some kind of licensing issue that prevents that.

I wish there were an official rep of TCM that would take some time to some in here and discuss these issues with us, I am sure between the sponsors and the viewers, creative ways to pay for these programs could be thought of.

Message was edited by: weAponX (typoes)

WeaponX, this is a 6 year old thread that I bumped up. Silent Sundays have not been dropped from TCM's programming. The Oscars used to be broadcast in March, so March was Oscar month on TCM--no weekly showcases during that month. (The same thing happens now in February, since the Oscars take place one month earlier now.)

Sorry for the confusion.

Sandy K