Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

programming for the eclectic?

NipkowDisc

Y'know there's bound to be some who think the silents ARE "the good stuff". 

I can only take 'em in small doses myself, but I do realize the NAME of the network ISN'T "Sepiatone Classic Movies".  So I'll just tune in when I notice they have something I DO wish to see, and not whine and wheedle like brat.  I'll put my 300+ channels to some use.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Variety is great.  Just tune out when there is something that is not your particular cup of tea.  Who can watch tv 24/7 anyway?

What most of us do not wish to see is the same old same old repeats month after month.  You might look at parts of December's schedule as examples of cut and paste uninspired scheduling.

• Like 5

Variety is great.  Just tune out when there is something that is not your particular cup of tea.  Who can watch tv 24/7 anyway?

What most of us do not wish to see is the same old same old repeats month after month.  You might look at parts of December's schedule as examples of cut and paste uninspired scheduling.

I usually feel that way in February (with the Oscar programming) and May...all the same war films repeated for three days on end during Memorial Day weekend. It eats up a large chunk of the schedule. Obviously, it's fine for people new to classic films and new to TCM, but the long-time viewers need some variety.

I don't find A CLOCKWORK ORANGE to be "the good stuff".  Not my cup of tea, NipkowDisc. 

Same with the 1970 movie "PERFORMANCE".  I once owned an old Warner Home Video clamshell release of "Performance" with a nice, clean old videocassette inside.  I watched some of the movie one day many years ago and found it was just not to my taste.  (I sold the tape on Amazon).  

• Like 1

how about programming for the mainstream viewer? just look at this. a day of silents starring lillian gish then tcm tries to sneak the good stuff in late tonite like a clockwork orange and hands of the ripper.

Who is this "mainstream viewer" you mention?

It sounds like you just want TCM to program for you.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (which you call "the good stuff")  is hardly a mass appeal movie.

If TCM 'programmed' the movies of RON ORMOND (1910-1981) for a day there would be quite an eclectic mix.  However, I don't think his Christian "scare" films of the 1970s are widely available.  They sound like a hoot.  But there are "B"-westerns and '50s and '60s low-budget nuggets (Mesa of the Lost Women, Forty Acre Feud, The Girl from Tobacco Row, White Lightnin' Road, The Monster and The Stripper) to pick from.

• Like 1

If TCM 'programmed' the movies of RON ORMOND (1910-1981) for a day there would be quite an eclectic mix.  However, I don't think his Christian "scare" films of the 1970s are widely available.  They sound like a hoot.  But there are "B"-westerns and '50s and '60s low-budget nuggets (Mesa of the Lost Women, Forty Acre Feud, The Girl from Tobacco Row, White Lightnin' Road, The Monster and The Stripper) to pick from.

Mr. Gorman I am constantly amazed at the depth of your knowledge for, how can I put it, alternate or low budget cinema.

I love it!

• Like 1

Bogie, I'm always on the hunt for lower-budgeted nuggets that cross my "B"-movie viewfinder.  They don't have to be good movies, but if something about the plot interests me then I try and round them up for my video collection.  :)

Besides RON ORMOND there's a few other directors of lower-budgeted movies who's films I've bought a few of:

S.F. BROWNRIGG (Sherald Brownrigg).  (1937-1996)  He only directed 5 movies, I believe.  4 in the 1970s and one in the mid-1980s. 

BILL REBANE from Riga, Latvia (!)  (aka:  'Ito').  (1937-     )  Made his movies in Wisconsin. 

WILL ZENS (1920-2013)

CHUCK VINCENT (1940-1991)

• Like 1

Oscar Micheaux--the only African-American director (I know about until the 1960's) of silents & 14-15 talkies is having his movie "Swing!" (1938) shown on Jan. 18th--no article on it Or User Reviews--at a guess, a Premiere.  He had his own Film Corporation--independent--most (if not all) his movies were low budget.

I am awaiting tribute to very versatile director: Alan Smithee!

His range of styles and genres is amazing for one person. 

Death of a Gunfighter (1969) is straight-up western.

Gypsy Angels (1980) has Vanna White as stripper who falls for a stunt pilot who develops amnesia after a crash.

Appointment with Fear (1985) is horrific twice-fold as that is its genre and is most people's opinion of it.

Let's Get Harry (1986) is action-adventure.

I am awaiting tribute to very versatile director: Alan Smithee!

His range of styles and genres is amazing for one person. 

Death of a Gunfighter (1969) is straight-up western.

Gypsy Angels (1980) has Vanna White as stripper who falls for a stunt pilot who develops amnesia after a crash.

Appointment with Fear (1985) is horroric twice-fold as that is its genre and is most people's opinion of it.

Let's Get Harry (1986) is action-adventure.

doan forget The Guardian with jenny seagrove as a hot wiccan babe. :D

Doesn't "eclectic" mean that someone derives their tastes, style, etc. from a wide variety of sources? Or in case of film, someone who has eclectic movie tastes would like a little bit of everything.  They don't pigeonhole themselves into liking only horror or only war movies, or whatever.  

With this definition in mind, I think that TCM definitely appeals to the "eclectic" viewer.  A wide array of film genres are shown often: romance, war movies, film noir, silent, foreign, musicals, documentaries, silly shorts, B-Movie sci fi, B Movie horror, films from the 80s, films from the 1910s, films from the 00s, everything.  

Just because one viewer is upset with a day of silent movies (or what not), it doesn't mean that ALL TCM viewers are upset. 

• Like 1

Doesn't "eclectic" mean that someone derives their tastes, style, etc. from a wide variety of sources? Or in case of film, someone who has eclectic movie tastes would like a little bit of everything.  They don't pigeonhole themselves into liking only horror or only war movies, or whatever.  

With this definition in mind, I think that TCM definitely appeals to the "eclectic" viewer.  A wide array of film genres are shown often: romance, war movies, film noir, silent, foreign, musicals, documentaries, silly shorts, B-Movie sci fi, B Movie horror, films from the 80s, films from the 1910s, films from the 00s, everything.  

Just because one viewer is upset with a day of silent movies (or what not), it doesn't mean that ALL TCM viewers are upset. 

You didn't think OP actually knew what the word meant, did you?

• Like 1