Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Same last name, sometimes some resemblance, but no relation

Some resemblance in the case of both TOM DRAKE, paramour of Judy Garland's character in "Meet Me In St. Louis", and CHARLES DRAKE, recently seen Sat. on Svengoolie's showing of "It Came From Outer Space".  And although there's enough resemblance to find it not hard to believe the two men were brothers, they actually weren't related in any way.  In fact DRAKE was NEITHER man's real name.

I do suppose we could be grateful there's just the LAST NAME being shared, and NO resemblance between ALAN HALE and BARBARA HALE, who also are in no way related.

And we already know FARLEY and STEWART GRANGER, also aren't related, nor have much(if any) resemblance.

And beyond the cases of JACKIE COOPER and GARY COOPER, I'm not sure where else to go with this!  :D

Sepiatone

Well, there's Elizabeth Taylor and Robert Taylor who appeared together in CONSPIRATOR and IVANHOE. 

And we also have Dustin Hoffman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Some surnames are so unique you would not expect to find another person with that same name. Like could you imagine if we had other stars called Pidgeon (as in Walter) or Winchell (again, as in Walter).

Some resemblance in the case of both TOM DRAKE, paramour of Judy Garland's character in "Meet Me In St. Louis", and CHARLES DRAKE, recently seen Sat. on Svengoolie's showing of "It Came From Outer Space".  And although there's enough resemblance to find it not hard to believe the two men were brothers, they actually weren't related in any way.  In fact DRAKE was NEITHER man's real name.

I do suppose we could be grateful there's just the LAST NAME being shared, and NO resemblance between ALAN HALE and BARBARA HALE, who also are in no way related.

And we already know FARLEY and STEWART GRANGER, also aren't related, nor have much(if any) resemblance.

And beyond the cases of JACKIE COOPER and GARY COOPER, I'm not sure where else to go with this!  :D

Sepiatone

The paramount example of this, which dwarfs all others, is Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.

I recall an entertainer named PAUL WINCHELL (1922-2005).  No relation to Walter as far as I know.  I think Paul was a ventriloquist and also a part-time inventor; think he invented an artificial heart.   

There is an actress named REBECCA PIDGEON (1965-    ) and she's been busy for years in the entertainment industry.  She's married to David Mamet, I believe.  I think she's related to Walter, but I'm not sure.  I read she's Walter's great niece, but I don't know if that's true. 

In the 1970s I thought KEVIN McCARTHY and ROBERT WEBBER should have played brothers in some movie or television show. 

The character actors DENNIS BURKLEY (now deceased) and MICKEY JONES (he was in "Nadine", which TCM showed not so long ago) looked considerably alike.  I mistook them for one another in "National Lampoon's Vacation". 

• Like 1

I recall an entertainer named PAUL WINCHELL (1922-2005).  No relation to Walter as far as I know.  I think Paul was a ventriloquist and also a part-time inventor; think he invented an artificial heart.   

There is an actress named REBECCA PIDGEON (1965-    ) and she's been busy for years in the entertainment industry.  She's married to David Mamet, I believe.  I think she's related to Walter, but I'm not sure.  I read she's Walter's great niece, but I don't know if that's true. 

In the 1970s I thought KEVIN McCARTHY and ROBERT WEBBER should have played brothers in some movie or television show. 

The character actors DENNIS BURKLEY (now deceased) and MICKEY JONES (he was in "Nadine", which TCM showed not so long ago) looked considerably alike.  I mistook them for one another in "National Lampoon's Vacation". 

Paul Winchell's dummy was Jerry Mahoney.

You are correct...there is a Paul Winchell, and I forgot all about him. He was a special guest on an episode of The Lucy Show. The writers couldn't resist having Lucille Ball play a dummy sitting on Paul's lap. 

Didn't know about Rebecca Pidgeon.  I agree completely about McCarthy and Webber. Webber's best work, in my opinion-- all those guest appearances he did on pal Jim Garner's show The Rockford Files.

My mother once watched a movie starring Robert Mitchum, and she praised his commanding stage presence. She was so happy I didn't tell her that it was actually Victor Mature she was watching.

TCM has a primetime spotlight coming up in November for Victor Mature fans. Six of his films will be airing.

Well, I don't think I was a member here back in '09,  and I usually don't go to the "games and Trivia" page, and I'm NOT inteding to play a game.

So...

MR. GORMAN...

Doesn't matter if DENNIS BURKLEY and MICKEY JONES could have passed for brothers.  That's not what the thread's about.

DGF---I used to have a Jerry Mahoney puppet/dummy when I was a kid.  Got it for xMas one year.  Came with a little booklet on how to do ventriloquism.   Never COULD get the hang of it.  Winchell also did some acting as well.  I've seen him over the years play a wide variety of different kinds of people.  An aside----I got the Mahoney dummy when I was about 6 or 7.  I had yet to see the movie "On The Waterfront".  But I finally saw a bit of it a couple years later and remember thinking that actor(had NO idea who this BRANDO guy was yet) looked a LOT like my Jerry Mahoney dummy! (I brought this up before for some reason, a couple or so years ago.  And I remember DARGO posting a "side by side" picture comparison!)  :D

MUSICNOVELTY---Throw GEORGE KENNEDY in that list of yours.  Also, long time and long ago Detroit afternoon movie host BILL KENNEDY had also done a bit of acting.  His proudest moment, in HIS eyes, was being the guy who set INGRID BERGMAN on fire in "Joan Of Arc".

MIRIAM HOPKINS/ ANTHONY HOPKINS------RICHARD ANDERSON/ EDDIE ANDERSON  :D

BEN JOHNSON/ VAN JOHNSON------JOHN WAYNE/ DAVID WAYNE---

PALMERIN---Amusing as your story is( the Mitchum--Mature mix-up) I don't see it's relevance here.

Let's try a related track here---

As with TOM and CHARLES DRAKE, are there two(or more) other actors/actresses that also so closely resemble one another and have the same last name, but are NOT actually realted?  NOT, mind you, two who look like they could be related but have different last names( like Gorman's Webber/ McCarthy example).

Sepiatone

MIKE EVANS (1949-2006) played the original character of 'Lionel Jefferson'  on "All In The Family" and "The Jeffersons" while DAMON EVANS played Lionel Jefferson after Mike Evans left "The Jeffersons".  Mike Evans came back -- I think it was in 1981 -- and replaced Damon.  They were not related and looked nothing alike. 

----------------------------------------

There was a baseball player in the 1930s named JIMMIE FOXX.  Jon Elroy Sanford later became known as REDD FOXX.  Then modern comedian JAMIE FOXX  -- I don't know his real name, but I do know it's not 'Foxx' -- took his stage name as a tribute to Redd who took his surname from Jimmie.  And none of them are related. 

ROBERT VAUGHN and VINCE VAUGHN

MIKE FARRELL and COLIN FARRELL 

TONY ROBERTS and ERIC ROBERTS

JUDD HIRSCH and EMILE HIRSCH

ROBERT ARMSTRONG (1890-1973) and R.G. ARMSTRONG (1917-2012) ('Robert Golden Armstrong').

STEVE McQUEEN and JUSTUS McQUEEN (character actor L.Q. JONES)  (Both appeared in the 1962 war movie 'Hell Is For Heroes', but Justus' part was very small).

Have no problem with this thread except that MilesArcher came up with this idea in June2009 in games and trivia. Miles you get the credit for thinking this one up  ;)

Yes, I started "Same Name, No Relation" in Games And Trivia in 2009.  It kind of ran out of steam earlier this year.  We had a lot of fun for quite awhile.  I just bumped it up in G&T, so if you want to get some ideas for this thread, you're welcome to take a look.  Who knows?  Perhaps some would rather play it as a game.  

• Like 1

I thought that Leslie Howard and Trevor Howard must be related, but apparently not so.

No, BUT believe it or not(and you really shouldn't of course), Leslie WAS the British second cousin(thrice removed) of Moe, Curly and Shemp!

(...like I said, you really shouldn't believe this) ;)

ROBERT VAUGHN and VINCE VAUGHN

MIKE FARRELL and COLIN FARRELL 

TONY ROBERTS and ERIC ROBERTS

JUDD HIRSCH and EMILE HIRSCH

ROBERT ARMSTRONG (1890-1973) and R.G. ARMSTRONG (1917-2012) ('Robert Golden Armstrong').

STEVE McQUEEN and JUSTUS McQUEEN (character actor L.Q. JONES)  (Both appeared in the 1962 war movie 'Hell Is For Heroes', but Justus' part was very small).

Steve McQueen and Steve McQueen