Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can anyone help?

michellek59

Back in the 30's or 40's there was a female "detective" who was, I believe a school teacher. I remember seeing a couple of movies with this character, but am embarrassed to say that I cannot remember the name of the character, the actress, or the title of any of these movies. She was tall, not particularly attractive and seems that her age was between 45-55. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? I'd appreciate any help at all.

You're thinking of Hildegarde Withers, whose movies were a series at RKO in the 1930s. TCM has run them all back to back a couple of times. Edna May Oliver played Hildegarde in Penguin Pool Murders (1932), Murder on the Blackboard (1934, and Murder on a Honeymoon (1935. Helen Broderick took the role in Murder on a Bridle Path (1936), and Zasu Pitts for the last two films in the series, The Plot Thickens (1936) and Forty Naughty Girls (1937). I thought the ones with Oliver were the best, which seems to put me squarely in the mainstream for a change.

Thank you so very much! I was racking my brain for days and could not think of that woman's name. I found those films so enteraining and thought that it would be nice to see if I could get them to share with my 84 year old dad, who shares my love for the "old" movies.

Welcome Michelle and don't feel silly please; we all need help from time to time; nobody can know everything and here we're always trying to help each other.

Besides, the films you mentiones are not "generally" remembered, except by some movie buffs like us; in other words Edna May Oliver or Helen Broderick & "The Penguin Pool Murders" were not as famous as for example "Laura" and Gene Tierney and I bet you that if you ask most of the people on the streets about "Laura" or Ms. Tierney, few of them would know about that film or her, less of Misses Oliver and Broderick and their films.