HoldenIsHere

January 2016 Schedule Now Available

Here are the weekly links to the January 2016 TCM schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-01-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-01-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-01-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-01-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-01-29

Fred McMurray is the Star Of  The Month.

A MILLIONARE FOR CHRISTY is airing on January 20 (actually early January 21).

THE SHAGGY DOG airs on January 27.

Robert Altman's COME BACK TO THE 5 & DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN (with Sandy Dennis, Karen Black, Cher and Kathy Bates reprising their roles from Altman's stage production) is airing on January 5  as part of the salute to Hollywood Foreign Press Restorations.

Kim Ki-Young's THE HOUSEMAID is scheduled for January 31 on TCM Imports.

Well, a tremendous improvement over December.  Certainly not as many recent repeats.

We are finally getting Ronald Colman's Bulldog Drummond (1929) on Jan. 7.

Not sure if it is a premiere, or not but this one was pretty good ...

Straight Time (1978) with Dustin Hoffman and a hot Theresa Russell.  On Jan 8/9

Straight Time (1978) with Dustin Hoffman and a hot Teresa Russell.  On Jan 8/9

One of Dustin's best! Dark and real, with Gary Busey before he became a joke. Theresa's first movie (oops, sorry - 2nd movie - didn't realize she was in 'The Last Tycoon' before this). Thankyou IMDb.

And thank you, TCM. You're getting better all the time with these wonderful 70's (and 80's) movies. Sandy Dennis is terrific in 'Come Back to the 5 & Dime' - one of her best.

Haven't had time to take a long look at this schedule but, I agree, world's better than dismal

December!  Glad to see Fred MacMurray as SOTM (his first?) and I noticed that Jean Muir gets a mini salute on January 29, too.

The prime-time lineup for Tuesday, January 26, 2016 pays tribute to the trio receiving honorary awards from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences next month. At 8:00 p.m. EST is "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (1964), starring Debbie Reynolds, this year's recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her charitable work.

At 10:15 p.m. is "A Woman Under the Influence" (1974), which stars Gena Rowlands in arguably her greatest film role. It was written and directed by her late husband, John Cassavetes.

Then at 1:00 a.m., there's Spike Lee's debut feature "She's Gotta Have It" (1986), which introduced Lee's Mars Blackmon character -- a familiar figure in a subsequent series of popular Nike commercials.

The three honorees will be recognized at the Academy's annual Governors Awards in Hollywood on Saturday, November 14, 2015.

'Cooley High' (1975) is a nice little collectable.

Kind of an African-American 'American Graffiti'.

• Like 1

Pretty Good--with one Huge exception--Good news first:

"Hallelujah!" (1929), the first all-black musical is scheduled

Jeanne Eagels 1929 version of "The Letter", then Bette Davis' 1940 version are back to back.

Ava Gardner's "The Angel Wore Red" (1960) is scheduled--I've never seen that Anywhere!

Director Ernst Lubitsch has a salute late in Jan.

The clunker:  Lucille Ball's "Mame" (1974) is scheduled--in daytime.

First off, I want to say yay! to Fred MacMurray for SOTM.  He's been one of my suggestions for the last couple of years.  I love his pre-My Three Sons movie career.  I love his collaborations with Claudette Colbert, of course Double Indemnity and I really liked him with Katharine Hepburn in Alice Adams.  

Now to peruse the schedule...

January 1

Looks like we're leaving Nick and Nora Charles and The Marx Brothers behind and celebrating the New Year with horror movies.  Horror is not my favorite genre, unless it's the monster films from the 1950s or ones that are so over the top that they're ridiculous instead of scary.  

Soylent Green.  I haven't seen this film--though I already know that Soylent Green is people.

January 6

The first Fred MacMurray night.

Especially: 

True Confession, I believe this is the film he made with Carole Lombard and he has a mustache.

Murder He Says

Suddenly It's Spring

Alice Adams.  I love this movie, I never tire of it.  I don't have a copy of the film yet, so I'll probably record this again if I don't get a copy for Christmas.

Too Many Husbands.  This sounds like a funny movie.

Dive Bomber.  Okay, I'm not recording this film as I own it. But you can't go wrong with seeing Errol Flynn in Technicolor wearing a variety of different military uniforms (yum!) Oh yeah, MacMurray is good in this film too! 

January 7

Penelope.  I still have this film recorded from when it was on during the summer.  It's a very funny Natalie Wood movie.  The only reason I haven't deleted it yet is because it's not on DVD yet.  

January 8

Viva Las Vegas.  I know that people here aren't fans of Elvis movies, and I'll admit that he's not my #1 favorite either.  But I like this movie.  It's got Ann-Margret and I like the music.  Lol. 

Invisible Stripes.  A William Holden and Humphrey Bogart movie I haven't seen yet.

January 9

I don't know if this is a coincidence or whether TCM quickly changed their schedule... but January 9th's Essential is Joan Leslie.  They're featuring Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Hard Way and The Sky's the Limit.  I'll probably record the second two films.  I already own a copy of 'YDD.'  The Hard Way sounds interesting.  The Sky's the Limit is a Fred Astaire movie that I haven't seen. 

January 11

Springtime in the Rockies.  A Betty Grable film I haven't seen.

January 12

Looks like a daytime marathon of films featuring pilots.

I've seen both of these films before, but I'd like to see them again: Only Angels Have Wings and Test Pilot.  

Never Fear.  A film directed by Ida Lupino.

January 13

Looks like a daytime Kay Francis birthday tribute.

I'll admit that Francis is not one of my favorites.  However, I'll be interested in recording Jewel Robbery (with William Powell); Confession (with Basil Rathbone); A Notorious Affair (also with Basil Rathbone); A Stolen Holiday (with Claude Rains!).

Second night of Fred MacMurray.  Looks like this evening is a collection of the films he made with Barbara Stanwyck.  I've seen all of these films, except Remember the Night.  I believe this film is being shown at Christmastime as well.  I really liked There's Always Tomorrow and of course, Double Indemnity is excellent. I will probably record Above Suspicion and The Lady is Willing.  

January 14

Way Back Home.  A Bette Davis pre-code that I haven't seen.

(Note: I think it's weird that the schedule states that Gone With the Wind Part 2 is scheduled to air before Gone With the Wind part 1.  I'll assume that TCM is planning on airing the film in the correct order, though airing the second half before the first would be a novel idea.

January 15

Love Letters.  With Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones and Anita Louise.  Looks like an interesting film.

January 17

Design for Living.  I'm not a fan of Miriam Hopkins, but I remember that someone on this board recommended this film to me way back when.  

January 18

I see that MLK day is not featuring a day of Sidney Poitier films this time.  I'm interested in Cabin in the Sky.  This looks like a good film.

*Which film is it that features that amazing Nicholas Brothers dance number? I remember that the film also has Cab Calloway and it might have Lena Horne too? Is that Cabin in the Sky?

January 19

Ooh a day of pirate movies! I like it.

I'm planning on recording:

The Spanish Main.  I like Maureen O'Hara.

Re: Guest Programmer.  I don't know who Dick Guttman is, but his first pick is Love in the Afternoon.  This selection makes me highly question his other selections.  Though I do like The Bad and the Beautiful and Sullivan's Travels--so I guess all is not lost this evening.  

I think I'm going to record The Sin of Harold Diddlebock.  This is a Preston Sturges' movie I haven't seen.  

January 20

Looks like a daytime tribute to one of my favorites, Myrna Loy.

Third Finger, Left Hand.  A Myrna Loy film I haven't seen.  This film co-stars Melvyn Douglas and Bonita Granville.

So Goes My Love.  Loy and Don Ameche.  I just discovered Ameche (Note: I had heard of Ameche, I just hadn't seen his films) when I watched Heaven Can Wait, now I want to see more of his films.  I love his voice.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.  I'm not going to record this film as I already have it, but I must say that Myrna Loy's scene where she describes to the painters what colors she wants them to use for the various rooms in the house is hilarious.  One of the funniest scenes in the film.  I love when she hands them the red strand of thread.  Like they're really going to be able to match paint to that.

The third evening of Fred MacMurray:

Woman's World, with MacMurray and Lauren Bacall.

A Millionaire For Christy, MacMurray and Eleanor Parker

January 21

MacMurray continues into the morning...

Never a Dull Moment.  MacMurray and Natalie Wood.

Pushover.  MacMurray and Kim Novak.

Secret Agent.  A Bette Davis film I haven't seen.

January 22

It Started with a Kiss.  A Debbie Reynolds comedy co-starring Glenn Ford and Eva Gabor.

Evening, Emma Thompson! I love Emma Thompson!!  I look forward to seeing all the films featured.

January 23

The original Ocean's Eleven starring the Rat Pack.

Five Graves to Cairo.  A Billy Wilder film I haven't seen.  I also like Anne Baxter, so I look forward to this film.

January 25

An evening of 1960s spy movies?! I'm there!

January 27

4th Night of Fred MacMurray movies.  I really liked The Absent Minded Professor and The Shaggy Dog.  They're fun films.

January 28

A daytime theme of Ernst Lubitsch films.  I really liked Heaven Can Wait.  I have Ninotchka recorded from when it was on last time.  I'm interested in That Uncertain Feeling.  

January 31

I Married a Witch.  I tried watching this movie before and found it boring.  However, I've been encouraged on the boards to give it another try, so I shall try.  It features Veronica Lake, who I find interesting to watch on screen.  

Films featuring Ray Milland.  I'm interested in The Major and the Minor.  I really liked The Lost Weekend and thought he did a great job, even though the subject matter was tough to watch.  

There are probably more I'll end up wanting to watch.  Some of the films I didn't know who the cast was.  TCM's cast lists are still bungled up.  I relied more on Leonard Maltin's cast lists for most of the listings.

The prime-time lineup for Tuesday, January 26, 2016 pays tribute to the trio receiving honorary awards from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences next month. ...At 10:15 p.m. is "A Woman Under the Influence" (1974), which stars Gena Rowlands in arguably her greatest film role. It was written and directed by her late husband, John Cassavetes.

Then at 1:00 a.m., there's Spike Lee's debut feature "She's Gotta Have It" (1986), which introduced Lee's Mars Blackmon character -- a familiar figure in a subsequent series of popular Nike commercials.

I hope Canada gets to see these movies.  A Woman Under the Influence was shown on TCM and TCM Canada back in 2006, but the last time it appeared on TCM it was blacked out in Canada. The first week seems interesting, with Joseph Losey's M, Divine Madness and I believe the TCM premiere of Muriel, which certainly has in my view the best actress of 1963, Delphine Seyrig.

Some highlights for me:

January 2: Night Train to Terror, which I mentioned in our train thread (have they taken notice?)  One of the great crazy horror films, here's someone's comment from IMDB:

The first time I saw this, I was in awe. The second time I saw this, I was in disbelief. The third time I saw this, I knew what to expect, but it still remained entertaining. This film is COMPLETELY insane and mind boggling. But.. holy crap.. to those who HAVEN'T seen it, you just have no idea what you'll be getting into.

January 3: Far from the Madding Crowd: I finally saw this when it was last on TCM. Gorgeous to look at, Alan Bates is brilliant -- one of his best roles. But I found Julie Christie miscast. She's too swinging '60s London to play Bathsheba Everdone. Still, I'll be glad to see this again.

January 4: Alain Resnais films 

January 6: Spanish Civil War films

January 7: Murder He Says -- always welcome. "There ain't no jail can hold her!"

January 13: William Cameron Menzies tribute

January 23: Confession -- Great Kay Francis film; Basil Rathbone's most evil role.

The Green Years -- Well done and atmospheric -- from A.J. Cronin novel. Charles Coburn excellent, though he's got up to look like the Cowardly Lion.

• Like 1

January 3:

Far from the Madding Crowd: I finally saw this when it was last on TCM. Gorgeous to look at, Alan Bates is brilliant -- one of his best roles. But I found Julie Christie miscast. She's too swinging '60s London to play Bathsheba Everdone. Still, I'll be glad to see this again.

Just a biased personal opinion: Christie's presence in the film makes it absolutely, positively believable that the three male leads -- and just about every other man in the village -- would be madly in love with her.

• Like 1

Finally! On what appears to be an evening tribute to William Cameron Menzies, they are finally showing the delightful tongue-in-cheek romp which brought Colman his first Oscar nomination.

And it is followed by the delightfully serial-like Chandu the Magician, with Edmund Lowe and, better yet, Bela Lugosi as the villain. Difficult to believe that the villainy in this film did not influence the James Bond films to a degree decades later.

Also, on January 15, the extremely rare (is this a television premiere?) TRICK FOR TRICK. A battle between magicians (Ralph Morgan, Victor Jory) with, apparently still impressive special effects, I've heard of this 1933 film for years without having the chance to see it.

Bravo TCM for showing these three films in January!

• Like 1

Pretty Good--with one Huge exception--Good news first:

"Hallelujah!" (1929), the first all-black musical is scheduled

Jeanne Eagels 1929 version of "The Letter", then Bette Davis' 1940 version are back to back.

Ava Gardner's "The Angel Wore Red" (1960) is scheduled--I've never seen that Anywhere!

Director Ernst Lubitsch has a salute late in Jan.

The clunker:  Lucille Ball's "Mame" (1974) is scheduled--in daytime.

LOL. At least Mame is on in the daytime! :D

• Like 1

Well, a tremendous improvement over December.  Certainly not as many recent repeats.

Not sure if it is a premiere, or not but this one was pretty good ...

Straight Time (1978) with Dustin Hoffman and a hot Theresa Russell.  On Jan 8/9

Have wanted to see Straight Time for years. Missed it when it came out. Hope it's on a decent time.

The prime-time lineup for Tuesday, January 26, 2016 pays tribute to the trio receiving honorary awards from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences next month. At 8:00 p.m. EST is "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (1964), starring Debbie Reynolds, this year's recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her charitable work.

At 10:15 p.m. is "A Woman Under the Influence" (1974), which stars Gena Rowlands in arguably her greatest film role. It was written and directed by her late husband, John Cassavetes.

The three honorees will be recognized at the Academy's annual Governors Awards in Hollywood on Saturday, November 14, 2015.

Happy to see Woman Under the Influence is being shown (And a Kay Francis birthday tribute! She didn't have one last year)

Just a biased personal opinion: Christie's presence in the film makes it absolutely, positively believable that the three male leads -- and just about every other man in the village -- would be madly in love with her.

That's a beautiful scene. Maybe they should have toned down her 1960's/'70s makeup a bit. 

Most of the films have supporting actors listed in the credits on the schedule, instead of the stars.  Is one of the themes of the month supporting players?

That's a beautiful scene. Maybe they should have toned down her 1960's/'70s makeup a bit. 

But wouldn't you call that timeless beauty?

But wouldn't you call that timeless beauty?

Timeless beauty but not timeless makeup. An example of how they weren't true to the period with her. But those sheep jumped off the cliff awfully well!

• Like 1

January 18

I see that MLK day is not featuring a day of Sidney Poitier films this time.  I'm interested in Cabin in the Sky.  This looks like a good film.

*Which film is it that features that amazing Nicholas Brothers dance number? I remember that the film also has Cab Calloway and it might have Lena Horne too? Is that Cabin in the Sky?

I believe you're confusing "Cabin in the Sky" with another 1940s musical -- "Stormy Weather." It's an easy mistake to make. Lena Horne is in both films.

Here's that spectacular dance number featuring the Nicholas Brothers:

The film also provided Horne with her signature song:

• Like 2

Timeless beauty but not timeless makeup. An example of how they weren't true to the period with her. But those sheep jumped off the cliff awfully well!

I can see we're never going to agree on this. But that sheep-over-the-cliff scene IS phenomenal. The mad sheep-herding dog should have received a special canine Oscar.

• Like 1

January 6

The first Fred MacMurray night.

Especially: 

True Confession, I believe this is the film he made with Carole Lombard and he has a mustache.

Murder He Says

Suddenly It's Spring

Alice Adams.  I love this movie, I never tire of it.  I don't have a copy of the film yet, so I'll probably record this again if I don't get a copy for Christmas.

Too Many Husbands.  This sounds like a funny movie.

Dive Bomber.  Okay, I'm not recording this film as I own it. But you can't go wrong with seeing Errol Flynn in Technicolor wearing a variety of different military uniforms (yum!) Oh yeah, MacMurray is good in this film too! 

Suddenly It's Spring may well be a TCM premiere and, of note, it's a Paramount.

Any relatively rare film with Paulette Goddard is always welcome, even though this comedy does not enjoy a strong reputation.

• Like 3

As others have said, January looks like it will be a good month.  Upon skimming through it, I already have about 1/3 of the entries.  But in my case that is a good thing, because I have been saving what I consider to be good or interesting movies on an aggressive routine for the past 4 years or so.  In any case I am always up for movies I haven't seen or heard of before, and I think I see a few of those here.  I'll have to have a closer look.