Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You may not know this TB, but ironically this film has now been banned in the very city the story is set in.

(...'cause of course the locals now days absolutely HATE IT when anyone refers to their toney little town as just "Frisco"!!!)

LOL

;)

I was wondering where you were going with that...you had me scared for a second. LOL

I cannot listen to the Overture without thinking of The Lone Ranger either.  I don't know if that is a positive or negative.  However between the movies and some great classical music cartoons I learned to love Wagner and others and I suppose the biggest influence was "Fantasia" and when they play the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" all I visualize is Mickey and multiplying broomsticks.   Oh yes..don't forget "A Night on Bald Mountain"  another classical music piece in a classical cartoon.

I agree. I think I first learned about great classical music by hearing the tunes in Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons. I remember Mickey and the broomsticks so vividly! :)

• Like 1

I agree TopBilled - Alice Faye's rendition of You'll Never Know is my favorite and the song was especially written for her by Harry Warren and Mack Gordon for Hello Frisco Hello. The song became one of the biggest hits during WWII. Alice Faye had a terrific range - she could reach high notes but had a voice that was so mellow that she could reach the deepest low octave ranges. I'm a big fan of Alice Faye and would love to see a TCM SOTM for her. The problem may be that her movies were made at 20th Century Fox and I don't think that TCM has optioned enough of them for a SOTM tribute to Miss Faye.

I adore Alice Faye. In fact, she is my favorite Fox musical star of all time. LILLIAN RUSSELL is just great, and I like THE GREAT AMERICAN BROADCAST a lot too.

Interestingly, she never made an official recording of You'll Never Know...but it continues to be remembered as her signature song. The tune earned an Oscar, helped by Faye's smooth vocal delivery.

I can't hear "Moanin' Low" without thinking of Clair Trevor singing it in KEY LARGO although it's in several other notable movies. Whenever I hear it, I resort to singing along in a drunken fashion.

I love that scene. And Edward G. is so mean to poor Claire when she's finished singing. He was supposed to allow her a drink, in exchange for a song.  ("Without any accompaniment?" Claire asks...) But when Claire goes to get her drink, Edward  G. refuses.

"But Johnny, ya promised !"  Gaye Dawn reminds him, desperately.

"Yeah, but you were rotten !" Johnny snarls.

It's so unabashedly mean, it's funny. I always laugh at that "yeah, but you were rotten" line.

(Of course, Bogart gallantly pours the lady a drink, right under Johnny Rocco's nose.)

• Like 2

Anyway, La Mer is heard throughout the film Every Girl Should Be Married and Cary Grant continually whistles it throughout the film. Cary does the same thing with Oh Give Me Something To Remember  You By throughout "Mr. Lucky". Cary Grant is one of my favorite actors.

You STILL haven't cleared it up, Marsha----

Are you referring to CHARLES TRENET'S "La Mer"?  Or JACK LAWRENCE'S redux of it that's called "Beyond The Sea"? 

I don't ever recall seeing the flick in question, so therefore don't know.

At any rate, the original French lyrics are very different to Jack Lawrence's English lyrics, and although the music and melody are the same, "Trenet's "La Mer" and the song "Beyond The Sea" are essentially two different songs.  And the LATTER is FAR more well known than the original.

And DEBUSSY'S "La Mer" is WAY different than EITHER! (and came WAY before!)  ;)

Sepiatone

Sepiatone,

An instrumental version of Charles Trenet's La Mer is played throughout the film Every Girl Should Be Married and it is whistled by Cary Grant at various times throughout the film. The film has been on TCM and is a particular favorite of mine. I believe it marks Betsy Drake's film debut, and co-stars Franchot Tone and Diana Lynn. It's a delightful romantic comedy with Cary Grant in top form. I think you'd enjoy it. 

Someone mentioned that Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" reminds them of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  That's the movie I always think of too, when I hear that song.  I also think of 'Fast Times' when I hear The Cars' "Moving in Stereo." 

I always think of Valley Girl when I hear Modern English's "I Melt With You." 

Foreigner's "Feels Like the First Time" makes me think of Pitch Perfect.  

Tony Basil's "Mickey" reminds me of Bring it On

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons' "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" reminds me of 10 Things I Hate About You.  

"Isn't it Romantic" and "La Vie En Rose" both remind me of Sabrina (1954). 

How could I forget in my earlier post, the theme song from the movie "A Man and a Woman"  

which is so enchanting.  I saw this movie in Dallas at a "foreign film" theatre and it was entrancing.  You know in the sixties we were new to foreign films and this was a "date night" dream.  

Remember date night....dress, heels, gloves and purse.  What self respecting girl left the house without being dressed to the nines and your date leaving after an exhausting and awkward 10 minute grilling by your father with questions like.."Young man what do plan for your life?" as that was uppermost on the minds of most teen boys.   Anyway loved the time, loved the movie and even have the album still in its orginal jacket in the basement along with the Kingston Trio and some original Beatles recordings.  

Astrude Gilberte did the humming and you can see and hear exerpts of the movie on "You tube" ...Happy Days. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite films The Apartment has a beautiful theme which was recorded by Ferrante and Teicher as "Theme From The Apartment" . Whenever I hear it I'm immediately reminded of the movie which I love. I googled some info about the musical score to The Apartment which is credited to Adolph Deutsch. However, the "Theme" music is called Jealous Lover which was written by British composer Charles Williams for a 1949 British film called The Romantic Age and was released in the U.S. as Naughty Arlette.

Chabeela in: Saawariya (2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVAT5BPlgg

Such a lot of nice girls in: Jolly Fellows (1934)

I am sorry to say that I can not find it as extract. Full movie is on YouTube in studio's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chDRXQ77IgA&feature=youtu.be

It has many wonderful songs!

I do not know if this qualifies for intent of thread as it is not song which is often sung or played on air apart from being in movie:

Moses Supposes in: Singin' in the Rain (1952)

My favorite video of it is not extract from movie:

The Theme from Laura - score composed by David Raksin for the 1944 movie and Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics after the movie was released. One of the most hauntingly beautiful movie themes I've ever heard. I love Dick Haymes recording. Have googled info on this and over 400 recordings of "Laura" have been made, including Woody Herman, Nat Cole, and Frank Sinatra. The film is a favorite of mine and the music is magnificent.

"Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin" - Theme from High Noon - music composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and lyrics by Ned Washington. I love when Tex Ritter sings over the opening credits. Tex Ritter and Frankie Laine both recorded the song in 1952.  

• Like 1

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is one of my favorites sung by Judy Garland in Meet Me In St. Louis. However, it's one of the most memorable moments in Carl Forman's film "The Victors" when the soldier is being executed (I believe for desertion) during WWII. This is a great moment in the film which is a particular favorite of mine. The song in The Victors is the recording made by Frank Sinatra.

Jean from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head from Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The recording of Moonglow and The Theme From Picnic -- The Theme From Picnic from movie of the same name.

Percy Faith's recording of Theme From A Summer Place - from film A Summer Place

Speak Low - One Touch of Venus starring Ava Gardner, Robert Walker, Dick Haymes, Eve Arden, Tom Conway and Olga San Juan. I was terribly sorry that this film was omitted from the Ava Gardner SOTM and I haven't seen this on TCM for way too long.

Love, Love, Hooray For Love - From the movie "Casbah" remake of the terrific Algiers - song sung by Tony Martin.

These two singing "Buffalo Gals" in some movie I've watched a few hundred times...

4397818_std.jpg

(...and speaking of 'buffaloes'...every time I hear a few bars of "Shuffle Off to Buffalo", I instantly envision a certain long-eared wiseguy of a rabbit soft-shoeing his way off screen at the end of a scene)

• Like 1

These two singing "Buffalo Gals" in some movie I've watched a few hundred times...

4397818_std.jpg

(...and speaking of 'buffaloes'...every time I hear a few bars of "Shuffle Off to Buffalo", I instantly envision a certain long-eared wiseguy of a rabbit soft-shoeing his way off screen at the end of a scene)

....and for anyone who is a completist in "Buffalo" songs, Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier".

• Like 1

My envisionment is quite different. First translation which I ever heard equates to: "shuffling buffalo." I picture teen-aged buffalo dragging their feet after being told to do chores. 

• Like 1

My envisionment is quite different. First translation which I ever heard equates to: "shuffling buffalo." I picture teen-aged buffalo dragging their feet after being told to do chores. 

Sorry Sans, but think you might be confusing "shuffling buffalo" here with "spiteful bison".

(...and a very common misconception I understand)

Sorry Sans, but think you might be confusing "shuffling buffalo" here with "spiteful bison".

I would never confuse: spiteful bison! I very much love their music! I believe they were the best grunge punk metal garage band ever. Their hit song: "Big Bovine Blues" is classic! I love the part where he looks into mirror at gym and realizes that his leg warmers make him look as if he is four-ton French Poodle.

• Like 3

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.  HOW can anybody get "Shuffling buffalo" from "Shuffle OFF TO Buffalo"?

Plus, I can't find ANYthing about some group called "Spiteful Bison" OR a song called "Big Bovine Blues".

I feel a LEG is being tugged at here.

Sepiatone

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.  HOW can anybody get "Shuffling buffalo" from "Shuffle OFF TO Buffalo"?

Plus, I can't find ANYthing about some group called "Spiteful Bison" OR a song called "Big Bovine Blues".

I feel a LEG is being tugged at here.

Sepiatone

Rex Ryan shuffled off to Buffalo, and I'll bet he's having second thoughts..