Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LittleQQ

Movies from the far east......

China is a rising power. In 2004 it became the world's third largest trading nation and the Unites States' number one trading partner. As a young Chinese woman now studying outside China for the first time I am interested in how people in the West imagine my country and its culture. Over the last few years Chinese films have enjoyed considerable critical and box-office success in western markets. Would you take a few minutes of your time to tell me which Chinese movies you have seen? What you thought of them? And whether you think they helped you to understand Chinese people and Chinese culture better? Thank you for your help .I appreciate it very much.

I saw a Chinese film on IFC about a blind girl that gets treated poorly by her deceased mother's sister whom she had to live with. The boyfriend fakes a job to give her to get in good with the woman and things get real humorous as he and all his close friends try to trick her into thinking it's a real job. I don't remember the title of the movie but it was an enjoyable film from beginning to end.

The Eye was another film that was also good. A horror movie about a girl who gets a transplant and starts seeing visions of the previous donor. She also starts seeing ghosts of people who have past on and those who have just died.

Sounds like the film you described about the blind girl is Happy Times a film by Yimou Zhang who coincidently is the director of the first Chinese film that I saw Raise the Red Lantern which stared the incredible actress Li Gong. In addition to Raise the Red Lantern, I would recommend To Live a film also by Yimou Zhang and starring Li Gong. My highest praise goes to the great film In the Mood for Love by director Kar Wai Wong, it's a wonderful film with great performances by Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung. In the Mood for Love is so good that its one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. Other fine films directed by Kar Wai Wong include Days of Being Wild, Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, and 2046.

If you enjoy Chinese films, may I suggest "Shadow Magic".Released in 2000, it's a story of an the first Westerner, an Englishman, who, around 1900 brought the first movies to China. I understand it's losely based on a real person. It's beautifully shot and very well made. Anyone who loves movies should find this a very enjoyable film. It's been out on DVD for some time and has been shown on one of the pay movie channels, although I can't recall which one. It's released by Sony so perhaps TCM could pick it up. If they do, this one should be in primetime.

Thanks for your replies. They all sound very interesting and have definitely given me some very useful information about what i am curious about. I have noticed that some of the movies you have mentioned do not show in the western cinemas, so just wondering where did you watch those movies? Thanks for all your help.