Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bonnie Scotland

Palmerin

Today, 22 October 2015, was dedicated to Scotland, with movies ranging from the superb MARY OF SCOTLAND to the perfectly idiotic BRIGADOON.

Why? Today is not a holiday in Scotland, and nothing of importance happened on 22 October in the history of Scotland.

Today, 22 October 2015, was dedicated to Scotland, with movies ranging from the superb MARY OF SCOTLAND to the perfectly idiotic BRIGADOON.

Why? Today is not a holiday in Scotland, and nothing of importance happened on 22 October in the history of Scotland.

Does there have to be a holiday or a birthday or an anniversary? Why can't the programmers pull a few fun movies out of the TCM library and show them to us for no major reason at all...?

I enjoy MARY OF SCOTLAND. I agree about BRIGADOON being a slight misfire but it does have its moments. And I was particularly happy to see THE GREEN YEARS on the schedule today.

Yeah, having just returned from Ireland, I'd rather they have a day dedicated to Beautiful Eire.

Which, by the way, they could do next Easter, acknowledging the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rebellion in Dublin. There's loads of movies about Irish vs English strife, plus loads of movies set in Ireland in general. Not even counting The Taciturn Man.

• Like 1

On the contrary, Palmerin.

I believe it was on October 22nd in the year 1272 that one Angus MacPherson of the Scottish Highlands first took all the parts of a sheep that nobody in their right mind would want to eat and placed them all inside the thing's stomach, and then cooked it all up and ate it.

(...brave man that Angus be...though certainly not the discerning type when it came to the early culinary arts) 

;)

• Like 2

I had to look up "Scottish History today" on Google (click on bbc result to find it; when on the webpage , click on the Oct. calendar & date) to find it, but yes something did: Scotsman Sir Ewan MacColl, folksinger, songwriter, & playwright died today.  He's best known in America because Roberta Flack recorded a song he wrote for his wife, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".  So Scottish themed films, especially musicals, seem to make perfect sense. :)

• Like 1

I had to look up "Scottish History today" on Google (click on bbc result to find it) to find it, but yes something did: Scotsman Sir Ewan MacColl, folksinger, songwriter, & playwright died today.  He's best known in America because Roberta Flack recorded a song he wrote for his wife, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". So Scottish themed films, especially musicals, seem to make perfect sense. :)

Sorry fl, but I'm stickin' with MY "The First Time Ever I Tasted Haggis" theory as to why TCM might be showin' these here Scottish-themed flicks today, dude!!!

(...nope sorry, I ain't gonna buy into your theory here)

;)

• Like 1

I had to look up "Scottish History today" on Google (click on bbc result to find it) to find it, but yes something did: Scotsman Sir Ewan MacColl, folksinger, songwriter, & playwright died today.  He's best known in America because Roberta Flack recorded a song he wrote for his wife, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".  So Scottish themed films, especially musicals, seem to make perfect sense. :)

I love the songs and singing of Ewan MacColl and his wife Peggy Seeger (Pete's half-sister).  His work (a sort of folk opera) about the British "gypsies" -- The Travelling People is quite wonderful. Here's Ewan, accompanied by Peggy, singing "I'm a freeborn man of the travelling people" from that work, although from one of his other albums. Lovely song.

• Like 1

Yeah, having just returned from Ireland, I'd rather they have a day dedicated to Beautiful Eire.

Which, by the way, they could do next Easter, acknowledging the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rebellion in Dublin. There's loads of movies about Irish vs English strife, plus loads of movies set in Ireland in general. Not even counting The Taciturn Man.

Every year I check to see if The Dead (John Huston's final film) is scheduled for Epiphany (January 6). The film, based on James Joyce's short story, is about a dinner party in Dublin on that day in 1904. A perfect movies, IMHO. But if you like movies with Irish subjects, Miss W., you must see Brooklyn when it comes your way. It should open next month, I think.

Btw, I was thinkin' earlier here that if TCM was gonna carry this whole Scottish-themed programming all the way through the evening, they could do a hell of a lot worse than to bring us the very well done Liam Neeson starring ROB ROY, and in which you'll never see a better performance by an actor playing a villain than Tim Roth did in it, and which also contains one of the best sword fight scenes ever placed on film.

(...but then I remembered that this movie was released in 1995, and so this would have probably ticked-off too many people around here and we'd then probably see ANOTHER half dozen or so threads started by those who think any movie made after 1960 should never be shown on this channel)

LOL

• Like 2

Every year I check to see if The Dead (John Huston's final film) is scheduled for Epiphany (January 6). The film, based on James Joyce's short story, is about a dinner party in Dublin on that day in 1904. A perfect movies, IMHO. But if you like movies with Irish subjects, Miss W., you must see Brooklyn when it comes your way. It should open next month, I think.

Yes, I've read the story, and seen the film (in that order.) Both are so profound, with  much to think about, and so moving. Huston's cinematic treatment of Joyce's short (well, actually, kind of long) story does it full justice. I wish TCM would air it,  preferably on January 6th, but failing that, anytime. 

Thanks for the heads-up about Brooklyn. I'd never heard of it, and looked it up. Sounds like my kind of movie. Likely won't come to the mainstream cinemas in my town, but I imagine the one and only little independent theatre here will schedule it. 

I know  you're not big on "links", but still, here's a link to a description of Brooklyn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_(film)

• Like 1

On October 22, 1841, John Sturgeon Mackay was born in Scotland. He was the first President of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society.

Obviously, TCM decided to honor this great man today, and I commend them for doing so.

Oh you "Number-Crunchers" are all alike, aren't cha! You think the world revolves around your little stat sheets!!!

(...nope, I'm stickin' with my "Haggis Theory" here, Rich!)

;) 

Thanks for the heads-up about Brooklyn. I'd never heard of it, and looked it up. Sounds like my kind of movie. Likely won't come to the mainstream cinemas in my town, but I imagine the one and only little independent theatre here will schedule it. 

Thanks -- I looked at the link -- interesting. I actually saw the film at the New York Film Festival. I think it will get good reviews and a wide distribution.  In addition to the leads, there are great bits for Julie Walters and for an Irish actress named Brid Brennan, who plays a nasty Irish busybody.

TCM has actually showed The Dead once or twice, I taped it but accidentally erased it, so I await its return.

Dargo--and for fans of the silly, "Quentin Durward" (1955), could be shown--features a none-too-bright Scottish knight  as the title role (Robert Taylor), and the witty Kay Kendall as his leading lady--dim Durward swashbuckles through the movie, & Kendall plays the whole movie as a parody--easy to do as the plot is so old it creaks--the finale is worth waiting for--TCM showed an old MGM promo showing "The battle of the bells" a battle of fiery torches (?) shoved by two stunt men at each other while both hang for dear life to church bell cords (anyone else reminded of "bats in the belfry"?) is intercut with Kay Kendall madly racing around the castle library, twittering "the runes. the runes--they must be here somewhere??!"

By this point, I was laughing so hard I missed the end of the movie.  A fine parody, intentional or not. ;)

• Like 1

Dargo--and for fans of the silly, "Quentin Durward" (1955), could be shown--features a none-too-bright Scottish knight  as the title role (Robert Taylor), and the witty Kay Kendall as his leading lady--dim Durward swashbuckles through the movie, & Kendall plays the whole movie as a parody--easy to do as the plot is so old it creaks--the finale is worth waiting for--TCM showed an old MGM promo showing "The battle of the bells" a battle of fiery torches (?) shoved by two stunt men at each other while both hang for dear life to church bell cords (anyone else reminded of "bats in the belfry"?) is intercut with Kay Kendall madly racing around the castle library, twittering "the runes. the runes--they must be here somewhere??!"

By this point, I was laughing so hard I missed the end of the movie.  A fine parody, intentional or not. ;)

I recall this film being shown on TCM fairly recently, but I keep missing it for some reason, fl.

I know it failed to catch fire at the box office and put an end to Taylor's string of big money-making MGM costumed epics.

(...maybe it was its rather bland title that didn't spur the public's imagination enough to go see it)

• Like 1

Whenever I hear the word "runes," I think of this guy:

demon.jpg

• Like 1

Dargo--Quentin Durward is worth catching (or recording, if that's not an issue).  Robert Taylor swashes in his sleep, Kay Kendall has a fine first scene in which she declares she'll not be "chattel", & plays the rest of QD as straight-faced parody.  QD is not historically accurate--when Louis ?? wakes to a dagger at his neck, he & Taylor have drinks (Scotch, I assume) and they're served in 1950's style crystal glasses--QD is wonderfully dim--everyone seems to be in on the parody/comedy angle except MGM--they tried to sell it as a medieval film.  If MGM had gotten the joke, this could be a comedy classic!

P.S.--Film is based on a Sir Walter Scott book of same name, which if I remember (I haven't read this in decades) did not the have deadly serious tone of Ivanhoe.

swithin--maybe Kendall was saying "rooms"?  She was racing around the library--or a room with Lots of books.  I remember thinking MGM's sound recording stunk--but by then I was laughing too hard to care.  If there was a supernatural element to QD, I completely missed it--But you're right.

Dargo--QD is being shown Sunday, Nov. 8th at 2:00 E.S.T.--maybe you can catch film then.

swithin--maybe Kendall was saying "rooms"?  She was racing around the library--or a room with Lots of books.  I remember thinking MGM's sound recording stunk--but by then I was laughing too hard to care.  If there was a supernatural element to QD, I completely missed it--But you're right.

Dargo--QD is being shown Sunday, Nov. 8th at 2:00 E.S.T.--maybe you can catch film then.

I don't know the film at all, I was just going by your quoting it. Runes, though supernatural in Night (Curse) of the Demon, are not supernatural in themselves. They were the alphabet used in early days by Nordic countries before the Latin alphabet was adopted. 

• Like 1

Whenever I hear the word "runes," I think of this guy:

demon.jpg

Love that movie....and I can't stand when commercials rune watching a good movie on TV.

I love Scotland (and especially scotch) and my favorite movies are EDGE OF THE WORLD and WHISKEY ISLAND. My puppy is named Scotch Whiskey because Lagavulin was too hard to say.
  • Like 2

I Know Where I'm Going has become a favorite film of mine and TCM introduced me to it. I'm sorry it wasn't part of the Scottish films on TCM. From Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger this movie is wonderful, great screenplay, great acting by Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey. An absolutely terrific movie. Scotland is truly memorable in this film.

• Like 2