Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maureen O'Hara has died

Maureen O'Hara, 'The Queen of Technicolor', so called owing to her red hair and green eyes, has died at her home in Boise, Idaho.

Among her most memorable films were THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME ('39), HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY ('41), MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET ('47), THE QUIET MAN ('52), THE LONG GRAY LINE ('55) and THE PARENT TRAP ('61).

Despite her impressive filmography, she was never nominated for a competitive Oscar. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences rectified its oversight of O'Hara in November of 2014, when she was finally awarded an Honorary Oscar.

The Hollywood Reporter remembers O'Hara here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/maureen-o-hara-dead-technicolor-719984.

• Like 3

I think I'll have a Maureen O'Hara tribute.  

I'll watch:

Against All Flags (it has Errol as a bonus too)

The Parent Trap

Dance Girl Dance

Those are the three O'Hara films I think I have.  I'll have to check out Netflix and Amazon Prime to see if there are any more of her films available.  I really want to watch Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, but I don't own that film.  

EDIT: I also have Miracle on 34th Street, but I think I'll save that for Christmas time.  I believe O'Hara was the last surviving star from that film. 

Edited by speedracer5
  • Like 1

Another great gone.--R.I.P. :(

To anyone interested--she wrote a Very good autobiography, "Tis' Herself", with co-author John Nicoletti--was Not ghost-written--JN gets credit on the dust jacket--very good picture of her career, Old Hollywood, & John Wayne & director John Ford (the way she fought for Waynes' recognition when he was dying of cancer is particularly touching).  Book was written in 2004.

• Like 5

She should have earned an Oscar nomination for The Quiet Man. O'Hara was a marvelous blend of beauty, humor, and high spirits and all her films.

She made 2 minor British films before being discovered by Charles Laughton.

• Like 1

Maureen O'Hara was wonderful in The Quiet Man, How Green Was My Valley, The Long Gray Line, The Parent Trap, The Black Swan and Miracle On 34th Street,  Sitting Pretty, just to name a few. Beautiful and truly a legendary actress. We love you Maureen O'Hara and you will be missed. You were one of a kind.

RIP Maureen O'Hara

edited by me 

• Like 9

Discovered by Charles Laughton, assisted to screen immortality by John Ford, Maureen O'Hara's film presence has always been a constant source of joy to me over the years.

But as visually stunning, particularly in Technicolor, as this red haired beauty was, it was the fiery strength and independence that O'Hara brought to her roles that made her particularly memorable.

Ms O'Hara will be remembered for her screen collaborations with John Wayne, her Esmeralda in Hunchback of Notre Dame, for How Green Was My Valley, Miracle on 34th Street, and, by me, at least, for the delight that she brought to a half dozen cheesy swashbucklers and Arabian Nights tales.

Above all, though, I'll remember Maureen O'Hara for the beauty and fiery spirit that she brought to one role, in particular . . .

maureen-ohara1_zpsikyzeh8e.jpg

Farewell, Mary Kate.

• Like 9

I met her in person in 1997. She was in NYC for the 50th anniversary of Miracle on 34th Street. This was before her stroke or illness and she looked amazingly young and beautiful. Not only her looks but also her voice and the way she moved was youthful she was awfully kind and nice. May she rest in peace.

• Like 5

I'm heartbroken by this news. In an industry that often focused on the Bettes, Joans and Marilyns, Maureen O'Hara and women like her were sometimes overlooked. But she was the real deal and a legend in her own right.

• Like 1

Oh, DAMN!

She was, along with a VERY few, one of those gorgeous actresses who remained gorgeous throughout her entire career and beyond.  I know I'LL miss the hell out of her.  Just knowing she was still around all these years was kinda comforting to me.

Rest in peace, sweet Maureen, 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

My namesake has died, and I am very sad. Maureen was twenty eight when I was born, and she was very popular at the time. She was tall, beautiful, and a very good actress. Maureen was not afraid to stand up for herself, and her roles showed her determination. Besides her films with John Wayne especially RIO GRANDE 1950, THE QUIET MAN 1952, and THE WINGS OF EAGLES 1957, I adore THE BLACK SWAN 1942 and THE LONG GRAY LINE 1954 with Tyrone Power. Maureen was these actors equal in every sense of the word in all these films. Natalie couldn`t have chosen a better mother than Maureen In MIRACLE ON 34th STREET 1947.HOW GREEN IS MY VALLEY 1941, SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY 1946, SITTING PRETTY 1948, A WOMAN`S SECRET 1949, OUR MAN IN HAVANA 1960, THE PARENT TRAP 1961, and ONLY THE LONELY 1991 are some of my favorite films of Maureen. When her book TIS HERSELF came out, I immediately bought a copy. Maureen fell in love with the script for THE PARENT TRAP. Hayley Mills was still new to movies, and Walt Disney wanted well known stars for the parents of the identical twin daughters. Disney could be cheap, and he wanted to sign Maureen for one third of her asking price of $75,000. Quote " I would rather sell shoes at Saks Fifth Avenue than work for that kind of money." she told her agent to deliver the message. Disney gave in.Brian Keith played her ex husband, this film was his first comedy.Maurren and Brian worked so well together. Everything was fine until Maureen saw the promotional ads. Maureen was the leading lady, and her contract was for top billing. The ad read WALT DISNEY Presents HAYLEY MILLS and HAYLEY MILLS in THE PARENT TRAP Starring MAUREEN O`HARA and BRIAN KEITH. Maureen was livid, and she didn`t blame Hayley Mills. Maureen was all set to sue Diseny with the help of SAG. Mr Disney sent a message SUE Me and I`ll destroy You."SAG advised Maureen to drop the matter, and she never forgot or worked for Disney again. THE PARENT TRAP was a huge success, Maureen went on to make other movies. She made a beautiful Christmas movie CAB TO CANADA for Hallmark  which I have never seen again. Thank heavens that TCM honored Maureen as their July 2014 SOTM, and she finally received the Academy Award last November at the Governer`s Ball, Please TCM schedule a tribute to Maureen ASAP. Her fans deserve this honor given to her one last time. My prayers to you Maureen, and R.I.P with your Charlie. 

• Like 7

Discovered by Charles Laughton, assisted to screen immortality by John Ford, Maureen O'Hara's film presence has always been a constant source of joy to me over the years.

But as visually stunning, particularly in Technicolor, as this raven haired beauty was, it was the fiery strength and independence that O'Hara brought to her roles that made her particularly memorable.

Ms O'Hara will be remembered for her screen collaborations with John Wayne, her Esmeralda in Hunchback of Notre Dame, for How Green Was My Valley, Miracle on 34th Street, and, by me, at least, for the delight that she brought to a half dozen cheesy swashbucklers and Arabian Nights tales.

Above all, though, I'll remember Maureen O'Hara for the beauty and fiery spirit that she brought to one role, in particular . . .

maureen-ohara1_zpsikyzeh8e.jpg

Farewell, Mary Kate.

Tom, thanks for your eloquent post.

Just a question: I always thought "raven-haired" meant black haired. I realize this is irrelevant, and I don't want to get into some long meaningless debate about hair colour in old movies, but wasn't Maureen O'Hara red- haired?

Still, red or black tresses, she was certainly a beauty and a vivid screen presence.

• Like 2

I checked on YOU Tube, and they offer quite a few of Maureen`s movies. THE DEADLIEST COMPANIONS 1961 sounds interesting because Maureen is reunited with Brian Keith, and this film is Sam Peckinpah`s directorial debut. The other titles that I found are THE BLACK SWAN 1942, TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI 1942, THE FORBIDDEN STREET 1949, THE IMMORTAL SERGEANT 1943, FATHER WAS A FULLBACK 1949, THE REDHEAD FROM WYOMING 1950, KANGAROO 1952, MCLINTOCK 1963, and THE RARE BREED 1966. I do own a few movies MIRACLE ON THIRTY FOURTH STREET 1947, SITTING PRETTY 1948, A WOMAN`s SECRET 1949, THE LONG GRAY LINE 1954, and MCLINTOCK 1963. I enjoyed all these films except MCCLINTOCK which I found rather foolish.

• Like 2

Tom, thanks for your eloquent post.

Just a question: I always thought "raven-haired" meant black haired. I realize this is irrelevant, and I don't want to get into some long meaningless debate about hair colour in old movies, but wasn't Maureen O'Hara red- haired?

Still, red or black tresses, she was certainly a beauty and a vivid screen presence.

You're right, MissW, and I'll change my post.

Perhaps I was subconsciously mixing the words "raven" and "ravishing" together while I typed. Ravishing is one of the words that I have long associated with Maureen O'Hara.

I checked on YOU Tube, and they offer quite a few of Maureen`s movies. THE DEADLIEST COMPANIONS 1961 sounds interesting because Maureen is reunited with Brian Keith, and this film is Sam Peckinpah`s directorial debut. The other titles that I found are THE BLACK SWAN 1942, TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI 1942, THE FORBIDDEN STREET 1949, THE IMMORTAL SERGEANT 1943, FATHER WAS A FULLBACK 1949, THE REDHEAD FROM WYOMING 1950, KANGAROO 1952, MCLINTOCK 1963, and THE RARE BREED 1966. I do own a few movies MIRACLE ON THIRTY FOURTH STREET 1947, SITTING PRETTY 1948, A WOMAN`s SECRET 1949, THE LONG GRAY LINE 1954, and MCLINTOCK 1963. I enjoyed all these films except MCCLINTOCK which I found rather foolish.

ITHE FALLEN SPARROW 1943 will be shown on January 4, 2016 at 4:00 am EST, and one 0f my favorites OUR MAN IN HAVANA 1960 will be broadcast on January 35, 2016 at 2;oo am EST..

• Like 1

The nicest statement I read on Maureen`s passing is on THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER.com web site. The writing is more comprensive , and there is a lovely photo of Maureen and actress Jessica Chastian together at the November 2014 Governor`s Awards. Two beautiful redheads together, and they look so happy.

I just saw this on my home page and to think tcm had her on last nite in the hunchback of notre dame. I just happen to glance and see a black & white shot of her with her most familiar co-star john wayne and I knew she was gone. maureen is with duke. I feel like cryin'. :(

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-maureen-ohara-20151025-story.html

8y57c1.jpg

• Like 3