Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rgp1942

movies are skipping/stuttering

Beginning a few weeks ago, movies on TCM began skipping or stuttering.  It is especially prevalent on black and white movies such as "310 to Yuma".  It's exactly like when old reel projectors would skip because their cogs were not engaging properly.  As the movie progress, every few seconds it skips a frame or two, which makes the video jump, and the audio leave out words or portions of words.  It is very irritating and pretty much ruins watching B&W movies.  This problem only happens on TCM, and only recently began happening.  I use DirecTV and a Samsung plasma TV.  No other channels are having this problem.

Beginning a few weeks ago, movies on TCM began skipping or stuttering.  It is especially prevalent on black and white movies such as "310 to Yuma".  It's exactly like when old reel projectors would skip because their cogs were not engaging properly.  As the movie progress, every few seconds it skips a frame or two, which makes the video jump, and the audio leave out words or portions of words.  It is very irritating and pretty much ruins watching B&W movies.  This problem only happens on TCM, and only recently began happening.  I use DirecTV and a Samsung plasma TV.  No other channels are having this problem.

I'm watching "310 to Yuma" on Drectv right now, with a Sanyo TV, and I don't see or hear anything wrong with the picture or sound.

OK, thanks.  The movie after Yuma (Big Sky) did not do it.  Seems to be mostly on older movies, but not always.  I thought maybe TCM was using a projector that needed maintenance!  Guess I'll have to live with it. :(

OK, thanks.  The movie after Yuma (Big Sky) did not do it.  Seems to be mostly on older movies, but not always.  I thought maybe TCM was using a projector that needed maintenance!  Guess I'll have to live with it. :(

Odd things like that happen to all of us from time to time. With all the different kinds of electronic equipment today, some things just aren't "tuned" properly and sometimes a glitch will show up on your TV but not on my TV. and other times a different kind of glitch will show up on mine but not yours.

Ive got a Panasonic VCR/DVD that has a clock that loses about a minute a week, always, all the time, every week. I have to adjust it every few weeks or my recordings won't start at the right time. You would think that a major company like Panasonic would know how to make an accurate electronic clock by now.

I'm convinced it TCM's problem.  I watched the recorded version of 310 to Yuma, and the problem is exactly like a projector with bad cogs or a film with bad cog holes.  Yes I know they don't use a projector, but at some point in time originally they did when they recorded it.  All thru the movie it skipped a few frames.  Sometimes it would go for about 15 minutes or longer without doing so (a whole reel?).  Other times it was 3 or 4 times per minute.  Casual watchers would probably not notice it.  It's especially noticeable in the music.  When it skips, the video jerks, and the audio "clicks".  Sometimes this happens in a regular rhythm just like a reel turning around.  If you still have the movie recorded, watch it and I'm sure you will see what I mean.  But it's not just this movie that does it.  It's random movies, especially older ones that might have had bad cog holes.  But I'm sure I've watched 310 to Yuma before and it wasn't doing it.  Go figure.  As a "connoisseur" of old movies I find it irritating and distracting.  If TCM reads these forums, I would appreciate their looking into it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

The problem is ongoing. I see it intermittently. Some movies are fine. Others suffer what you describe. The Candidate is one of the worst examples. I had a Direct TV tech come to my house to check it out. I had recorded the movie on the DVR. When I played it for him he said it's a broadcast issue.

So when is it going to be addressed? I've tried contacting TCM which has proved futile.

Nobody there seems to care.

This problem of the image skipping or stuttering has caused me to stop watching TCM. I see it with two Direct TV receivers on two HD TVs. A friend who has Direct TV sees the same problem.

By the way, TCM doesn't use a projector. Movies are supplied to them on servers. The license holder of the feature has them transferred at a post production company. They are scanned into the digital domain.

Sometimes this problem appears to be caused by TCM running features time compressed where the movie is sped up in order to fit say a two hour ten minute feature into a two hour time slot. If this is the culprit then shame on TCM!

• Like 1

Yes, everything you say is true.  I knew they didn't use a projector, but was just using that to try and describe the problem.

Over the last few months I've discovered the following:

1. It ONLY happens on TCM.

2. It is not a hard drive problem in the DVR.

3. If you skip backward a few seconds, the problem goes away if watching live.  However the stuttering still exists if recorded.  I think the reason it doesn't show when backing up about 3-5 seconds is that the video is buffered longer and has more time to render.

4. It is worse during "prime time".

I think the following are probable causes:

1. Too much compression on the TCM movies.

2. Low priority DIRECTV satellite transmission on the TCM channel.

Both of these are TCM's problem to solve.

I haven't given up on watching TCM, and am not surprised TCM denies responsibility, but it remains an irritation.  Now that I've discovered adding a few seconds to the buffering circumvents the problem it's not as bad, but most of my TCM watching is on recorded content.

)o:

Just now I tried to watch Much Ado About Nothing on TCM. The picture stuttered and the sound kept dropping out then coming back on. It made it impossible to watch.

So to whoever moderates this forum. How about looking into this.

• Like 1

I've discovered the trick to hit the skip-backward (30 secs) button does work on recorded movies.  It may or may not "take".  However this is a work-around, not a solution.

Yes, that sometimes works. But mostly it reverts back to the image and audio stuttering within a few minutes. And it always appears in a DVR recording if the problem is in the broadcast.

I have it on good authority that the problem is caused by TCM running features sped up to fit within a limited time frame. This digital speading up apparently causes problems with Direct TV's method of digitally broadcasting over satellite.

Some have reported this problem also showing up on Dish Network.

This all seems to have started back in October of last year.

• Like 1

TCM is running The Sting. It's jumping with what looks like frames missing.

Doesn't anyone at TCM care about this? I'm beginning to wonder.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious TCM is not monitoring the Technical Issues on their forum, else they would have responded to this in some way.  Like any large bureaucracy it's a matter of getting the right person's attention, by approaching them in an alternate way.  Unfortunately unless someone can figure out that way, we are at their mercy.

It's pretty obvious TCM is not monitoring the Technical Issues on their forum, else they would have responded to this in some way.  Like any large bureaucracy it's a matter of getting the right person's attention, by approaching them in an alternate way.  Unfortunately unless someone can figure out that way, we are at their mercy.

We are the customer/consumer, so it should be the other way around. 

It amazes me how companies are willing to spend "good" money on technologies, but evidently have not implemented any measures to determine if those technologies are performing as they should. 

If NASA followed this model we never would have landed on the moon!

I would imagine that the goal here was to attract more people to your service, and not alienate them from it. 

However, in this (as in too many other cases) after the initial attraction, without adequate service, there is next to nothing there to maintain any sort of customer/consumer loyalty. So the entire investment is wasted! 

Any good business exec should be aware that people who have a negative company experience are ten times more likely to share that experience with others than those who have a positive experience...

Very bad business practice, and (as in most cases) it is a management oversight issue. 

Knowing this I wouldn't be investing any capital in Turner Networks until they get their act together!

• Like 1

I agree with your comments.  History has shown over and over again that when accountants start running a company, service goes out the window, even if the role of the company is to provide service!  I've seen so many companies shoot themselves in the foot by putting profit over why they exist in the first place.

p.s. Even though probably futile, I sent a "contact us" to TCM about this thread.

• Like 2

Direct TV says it's originating with TCM.

Seeing it seems to show up on the same movies such as The Candidate, I'd bet TCM either has a bad master or they're speeding it up.

Yesterday, I saw no problem with several films including Cool Hand Luke and The Dirty Dozen.

• Like 1

The problem seems to have stopped. At least for the time being. For the last four days I haven't noticed any skipping or jumping or sound drop-out's on TCM. Maybe someone at TCM read the complaints and did something about it.

One feature that really had the problem was The Great Escape. But when TCM just ran it, the transfer looked great.

A few weeks ago I submitted a "contact us" form asking them to read this thread.  They never responded to it, but magically the problem seems to have "abated" as you say.  Coincidence?

Same here.  I'm going to try and get directv to replace the receiver to see if it's a hard drive problem.  I actually had a similar problem on a Showtime channel yesterday.

It's not your receiver. It's a broadcast issue confirmed by Direct TV. They claim there's nothing they can do. The problems originates with TCM. I had a Direct TV tech come to my house to check my equipment. It all tested out fine. He looked at the problem and said it wasn't my equipment. A friend who has Direct TV sees the very same problem with TCM and another friend who uses Dish Network sees it.

Since it's been an ongoing problem for several months, I get the feeling those at TCM either don't care or cannot fix the issue.

• Like 1

I believe the problem originates from speeding up the movies. I see the same problem on both Showtime and Encore. But not nearly as often as with TCM.

• Like 1

A recent broadcast of Stagecoach was especially bad.  I played around with skipping forward and backward and about 1 out of 5 times could get it to stop stuttering (both on recorded and live).  But going + or - again it would start stuttering again.  It's like it's some kind of buffering problem.  Actually I'm sure it's an encoding issue.  I do video editing and can create similar viewing problems depending on rendering settings.

I suggest we all submit a trouble ticket every day in an attempt to get their attention. Submit a ticket here:

http://support.tcm.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=classic

• Like 1

It's to the point that I stopped watching TCM. Nobody there cares. The people at Direct TV don't seem to care either. This has been an ongoing problem since October of last year. It's inexcusable.

• Like 1

A recent broadcast of Stagecoach was especially bad.  I played around with skipping forward and backward and about 1 out of 5 times could get it to stop stuttering (both on recorded and live).  But going + or - again it would start stuttering again.  It's like it's some kind of buffering problem.  Actually I'm sure it's an encoding issue.  I do video editing and can create similar viewing problems depending on rendering settings.

I suggest we all submit a trouble ticket every day in an attempt to get their attention. Submit a ticket here:

http://support.tcm.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=classic

RGP1942, I've sent several emails there during the last six months.

There is Not a specific query category for the WATCH TCM app. so I've tried sending repeat messages to their WEBSITE, VIEWING TCM ON YOUR TELEVISION, PROGRAMING, and GENERAL COMMENTS, all to no avail.

The ONLY responses that I ever received were generic, auto generated ones either "assuring" me that "my opinion was important" and "thanking me for my comment," or soliciting me to subscribe to the TCM monthly NOW PLAYING GUIDE (which I am already a subscriber and have been for several years).

I've also called and left messages and sent hard copy letters, all to no avail.

http://support.tcm.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=68

Not a single call back, or mailed response.....

I am not trying to deter or discourage anyone else from doing the same, but my personal experience has sadfully shown me that there is No real "support" at the TCM Support Center; and

There are No  "Service Representatives" at their  Contact Us  site; and

that "viewer relations staff members" do Not exist!

I have NEVER received a response from TCM to any of the above, and though I've asked others repeatedly for a single example to show me that I am (and we are) an exception, No one has been able to share a different story than my (and our) own.

Not a single exception to the many unanswered concerns voiced in the threads on this and other TCM boards.

We do have a TCM Moderator who evidently "forwards" some of our concerns to "somebody" "somewhere," but I've not seen, or read, or heard that anybody actually received some kind of actual TCM "support" from those efforts.

There are those that have been so frustrated that they even joined the TCM "Inner Circle" with the hope that through that "marketing" venue they might actually be able to reach someone with our concerns, as voiced here. So far, to No avail.

One thing that I have not done to date, is attempt to contact the Hosts (Robert and Ben) about any of this.

I'd like to continue thinking that they are actually oblivious to all this, and quite frankly I am afraid that if I found out that they too were unresponsive that it would be the last straw for me and TCM.

For what it's worth, it appears that TCM does provide some kind of "automated" "staff" for anyone attempting to communicate with them about the TCM Film Festival, or Tickets for the Cruise, or to otherwise purchase something...

But as far as actual "support" for things we discuss here, absolutely Zippo!

Again, if ANYONE can share a different story, PLEASE Let Us Know! (please post or start a thread here)

I sincerely would love to be proven wrong!

Even a single exception would be like a flickering match in a sea of darkness here...

How can I contact TCM?

You can mail us at:

TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

You can leave TCM a message via phone at 404-885-5535, but please note that due to heavy volume of calls and letters, we are unable to answer all questions.

(Hey, at this point even answering "one" question would be an improvement.... )

Anything would be far better than Nothing!

• Like 1

This is a tcm problem.  And I, for one have had it with tcm.   I use comcast xfinity to stream movies onto my macbook pro osx 10.10.1 using firefox.  When I first started using tcm on demand about a year or so ago, it worked perfectly.  Then little by little, the freezing and stuttering started happening every once in a while during a film.  Then there was freezing completely, forcing me to "rewind" it a bit to get it to run again.  The freeziing started happening more and more frequently during the films.  Then came the screen suddenly going black with the film unable to restart, forcing me to close out the tcm website and get back on for the film to start streaming again.  Now the freezing happens every few minutes with almost every film to the point where I just give up in disgust.

Please note: this never happens on amazon instant video and only rarely on youtube movies-- yes, youtube works better than tcm, even having exponentially more viewers.

Since apparently tcm doesn't care about alienating its viewers and pretending to offer services (streaming, tech support, customer support) that it doesn't in fact offer, or at least usably offer, I see no reason to support tcm with dvd or book or wine or cruise or special event purchases.  No loyalty=no loyalty.