Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rgp1942

movies are skipping/stuttering

Could it be a Comcast or Verizon problem with the set top box?

My picture pixilates from time to time and everything becomes distorted for a few seconds.

I have had repair people replace the cables several times and it just starts all over a few months later.

I think it is a Fios, Xfinity issue with the instillation of their equipment.

I could be wrong and want to give TCM benefit of the doubt first.

The problem with constant buffering happens on my computer and I think it could be a heavy traffic issue.

I also think that different channels use different signals.

In the old days of cable, the sun spots issue only affected certain stations and they were usually listed via a special message.

It appears to be a TCM problem. I have DirectTV. A friend sees the same problems using Dish Network. The Direct TV engineering dept. told me they see it coming from TCM. It's intermittent. Sometimes two days will pass with no issues. Then it begins all over again, sometimes with a vengeance.

So whoever moderates this forum I ask the following. Have you read this thread and reported it to the engineers at TCM? I'd appreciate a response.

It appears to be a TCM problem. I have DirectTV. A friend sees the same problems using Dish Network. The Direct TV engineering dept. told me they see it coming from TCM. It's intermittent. Sometimes two days will pass with no issues. Then it begins all over again, sometimes with a vengeance.

So whoever moderates this forum I ask the following. Have you read this thread and reported it to the engineers at TCM? I'd appreciate a response.

Hi RichardP

Yes, we do pass these comments on  :)

RichardP it's TCMModerator1

And it appears that the only sure fire way to draw his or her attention to your post is to include an expletive that will be picked up by the auto censure.

It doesn't take much, infact if you just post four or more asterisks in a row ( **** ) you're more than likely to attract some attention. However, regarding receiving an actual response of the kind we seek here.... well, that's another story. :unsure:

But if you receive a Moderator "edit," then at least you will be able to assure yourself that the post was actually glanced at by the board "Moderator."

Hopefully you have better luck than I in getting your message to someone who both cares AND is able AND willing to do something about it.... Good luck! :rolleyes:

Edit: ah, he/she beat me to it by this much!

Good show... Now if only "whoever" receives the "passed on comments" actually would/will respond.... ????

If I have to use four letter words to get someone'svattention, then I'll pass. It tells me it's not worth it.

I stopped watching TCM. I now use Netflix. They have all the classic films, many in HD. So far, no image or sound issues.

• Like 1

Moderator:

To recap...

1. Movies skip/stutter like frames are lost.

2. Seems more prevalent on B&W movies.

3. Skipping +/- in the movie can sometimes cause it to stop, but if skip +/- again it will return (buffering?).

4. Appears to only happen on DirecTV DVRs.  Possibly only on HR24 models, maybe at a certain firmware level.

5. Only happens on the TCM channel.

6. Happens on multiple users throughout the country.

7. Happens on multiple TV brands.

8. DirecTV has monitored the feed, and sees it on the incoming signal.

9. Problem started in October of 2015.

My guess as to what's happening:

In October TCM changed the way they are encoding and/or container in some movies.  I'm guessing they increased the compression and/or decreased the bitrate.  The DirecTV HR24 is unable to cope with decoding the new coding/container method.  It can't decode the video fast enough, so skips frames.  If you play around with +/- timecode, you may get lucky and hit a buffering that allows the timing to work.  Bottom line -- TCM encoding is now incompatible with HR24 decoding.

I am a video editor, and can force this problem by trying to squeeze the size on a video by excessive compression and/or insufficient bit rate.

I, along with several others, think it's time TCM ponied up and implemented a correction to whatever they did in October of 2015.

• Like 1

If I have to use four letter words to get someone'svattention, then I'll pass. It tells me it's not worth it.

I stopped watching TCM. I now use Netflix. They have all the classic films, many in HD. So far, no image or sound issues.

Agreed RichardP,

Sadly, on these boards it doesn't actually have to be a "profane" four letter word... Even a three letter word in conjunction with another word will attract the auto censure to invite moderation, i.e. Jackass (a male mule). Or the name of someone or something that can be misconstrued.

I am surprized that the auto censure &/or moderator hasn't attempted to edit the four asterisks in my previous post, as it has happened in the past. It is that rediculously prudish here. Common sense has been thrown out the window.

You have provided a lucid, well worded description of one of the problems with trying to watch TCM.

And the moderator has replied to your post. What remains to be seen is whether or not anything positive comes of that.

I am hoping, but I've seen several such Moderator replies here before without any follow-up, so I for one, will not be holding my breathe in anticipation.

After all this, I am personally very doubtful that TCM will suddenly mend their ways and begin providing actual support to any of their viewers and the users of their WATCH TCM app.

I am also quite disgruntled with my cable provider (COX) and have been actively seeking alternatives in my area.

Many have suggested DirecTV over DISH. I dislike signing a long term contract, but if I do go that route it appears that I will be placing myself in your shoes and be forced to say good bye to TCM in its entirety.

I have been mentally gearing up for that event. I have used NetFlix in the past and was quite pleased with their "on-demand services." If I do go with a satelite dish I will likely have access to slower "high" speed internet  than with cable, as ATT Uverse is teamed with DirecTV  in my area.

Which Internet service provider do you use (and would you recommend them)? 

Also, I have my own HD DVR and wonder if I could still use it with DirecTV ?

I was watching hbo and cinemax free weekend and most of there hd channel had video and sound juddering.just like tcm hd channel 256. the sony movie channel also has this problem . I beleive this a directv tv problem which they cannot fix and they tell us its the channel that is having the problem. if this continues I will cancel my directv!!!! on top of that they increase there monthy fees. this has been going on since october of 2015.

Direct TV channel 535 (Encore HD) shows the same problem as do a few premium HD movie channels. But I never see it on pay per view! Funny how that is.

I'm with you. If the problems continue, I'll cancel Direct TV and just rely on Netflix to watch movies. It's a much cheaper option. Many are in full HD.

Right now TCM is running The Longest Day which is jumping, studdering with intermittent sound drop-out's. It's unwatchable.

'In October TCM changed the way they are encoding and/or container in some movies. I'm guessing they increased the compression and/or decreased the bitrate. The DirecTV HR24 is unable to cope with decoding the new coding/container method. It can't decode the video fast enough, so skips frames. If you play around with +/- timecode, you may get lucky and hit a buffering that allows the timing to work. Bottom line -- TCM encoding is now incompatible with HR24 decoding.

I am a video editor, and can force this problem by trying to squeeze the size on a video by excessive compression and/or insufficient bit rate.''

You are 100% correct! I just had a very long conversation with someone who up till a month ago worked for DirectTV who was quite candid with me. He said the upper echelon knows of the problem, that it's ongoing and so far there has been no remedy obtained. It affects several HD channels, but only with movies, not sports or live broadcasts. He believes it will eventually be resolved. But I'm beginning to wonder.

I just called again to complain with DirectTV customer service. The rep I spoke with claimed no one is complaining, that it must be my receiver and that they can send out a tech. I hung up on her.

I'm fed up. I might cancel DirectTV today.

The finger pointing between TCM and DirecTV will continue.  Either one can solve the problem.  TCM by encoding their content differently, or DirecTV by upgrading their DVRs to have faster processors.  Since TCM's solution is cheaper, and they should retain backward compatibility with the older installed base  of hardware, the onus would seem to be on TCM.  But there may be other considerations that forced TCM into changing how they stream their content.  Possibly compatibility with "Watch TCM" mobile media or something.  TCM may be between a rock and hard spot.  It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  In the meantime I'm going to accidently drop my HR24 receiver and ask for a newer model DVR.  :)

I replaced both DirectTV DVRs within the last six months. Same problems are seen. The DirectTV tech assured me I have the very latest non/Genie versions.

Richard,

That's good to know.  Saves me the trouble.  I think through this thread we conclusively proven the ball is in TCM's court.

Later dude...

I just sent about my 10th contact form to TCM with this message:

PLEASE NOTIFY MANAGEMENT OF THIS HOT TOPIC!
http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/58072-movies-are-skippingstuttering/?view=getnewpost
ABSOLUTE SILENCE FROM TCM TECH SUPPORT LEADS US TO BELIEVE YOU ARE EITHER NOT READING YOUR FORUM AND/OR IN DENIAL.

Upon form submission this is returned, but it  never actually happens...

"Your message has been sent and the moderation team from TCM Message Boards will be aware of its content. As soon as possible, someone will respond to your message."

As has been said here before -- looks like we are jousting at windmills.

:(

Have Directv and I've noticed over the last few months many movies are choppy, stop-n-go like bad streaming…to say the least, very irritating.  :angry:

Anyone else experiencing the same or just me?  :unsure:

Thank you  :wub:

• Like 2

JeanneCrain--I have ComCast; film "No Way Out" is flowing smoothly.  Only notably Bad editing this past week was "Baby Face" (1933), which had numerous "wipes" and fades to black. NWO is fine, for me.

Have Directv and I've noticed over the last few months many movies are choppy, stop-n-go like bad streaming…to say the least, very irritating.  :angry:

Nope, you aren't alone.  I also have DirectTV and often experience the same annoying thing.  It seems to have no rhyme or reason, as I've seen it at different times of the day and with both B & W and color movies.  There's a topic in the Technical Issues board under Problems with TCM.com (movies are skipping/stuttering) you should check out.

It's been going on for far too long now, and it doesn't look like it'll get resolved any time soon, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Again, thank you for the replies...

Annoying and sadly why I am watching far less TCM over the past few months.  :(

After about 10-minutes of No Way Out the channel was turned.  :huh:

I have DirecTV, but haven't noticed it, Of course, it may have been happening when I wasn't watching.

Since people here have experienced it while watching TCM I wonder if it's actually also happening on other channels at the same time which we obviously don't see. It also makes me wonder if it occurs both on TCM's standard and HD feeds or just one.

Anybody notice this on cable? If not the problem could be at DirecTV.

This is the first I have heard about this.  I am in Ohio and haven't noticed this on my Directv. 

For those with the issue, how long has it been since you had a tech come out?  What receiver are you using?  Is it happening on a Genie Mini remote?

If we can get any number of people who unanimously observe this issue for specific times, then we might have a case for TCM or Directv issue.  Otherwise it is probably individual residential issues which might require a tech in order to solve.

In no particular order, some possible causes might include:

Bad HDD in receiver

receiver firmware revision issue

component issue

MoCA error

power supply issue

cabling issue

obstructed line-of-sight

dish alignment

chemtrails (just kidding)

rain storm

My installation is about 2 years old and I don't see this happening.  I do have a bit of a firmware issue at this point.  In particular, the Genie Mini is not as stable as it used to be, but it should be fixed sooner or later.  The main unit is solid for me though, a Genie HR44.

I have DirecTV, but haven't noticed it, Of course, it may have been happening when I wasn't watching.

Since people here have experienced it while watching TCM I wonder if it's actually also happening on other channels at the same time which we obviously don't see. It also makes me wonder if it occurs both on TCM's standard and HD feeds or just one.

Anybody notice this on cable? If not the problem could be at DirecTV.

As for me, I'm only noticing it on TCM HD (but not SD) and no other channels.

The problem now seems to be there all the time. This has made it impossible for me to watch TCM.

I guess nobody at TCM cares.