Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Uncredited

Sepiatone

Every Friday night, my local PBS station has what they call a "Classic movie presentation".  Often classic, but not always by most of our standards.

But usually uncut and commercial free.

Last night's movie was ON THE WATERFRONT.  And while watching, this thread idea came to me.  There are a few "uncredited" appearances by a few actors who in later years became very well known to the general public.

Now, after some sparse investigation, there's a boatload of "uncredited" appearances, and a lot of them are actors and possibly an actress who all were uncredited, but not before, nor later, ever really all that well known to that same "general public".

The recognizable ones to the GP were:

MARTIN BALSAM:  Who was Lief Erickson's crime commision agent's "sidekick".

FRED GWINNE:  a Johnny Friendly henchman called "Slim".

PAT HINGLE:  The bartender who served Terry and Edie their shot and beer.

NEHAMIAH PERSOFF:  The cab driver who drove Charlie Malloy to his death in the "coulda been a contender" cab.

I'm sure everybody in these forums already knew all this, but my point is that along with WATERFRONT, there have been many movies before and after that had some of these soon to be well known actors( and acresses) who still got no mention in the opening or even end crdits, but will sooner or later down the road, get to be VERY well known to the general public.

I've probably seen several that escape my memory right now, but I'm sure y'all get my gist, and can offer up many other examples.  :)

Sepiatone

I thought I spotted Gavin MacLeod as one of James Mason's henchmen in North By Northwest, but apparently now I cannot find any proof on the internet that he actually did appear in the film.

...and speaking of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Ted Knight appears as one of the policemen in Psycho.  

Lucille Ball was in a ton of uncredited parts in the beginning of her career:

She appeared as the flower clerk in Top Hat.  

Great idea for a thread here, Sepia.

Back during the studio era and years before the practice commenced of a 5 minute roll of credits at the end of a movie containing every person's name even remotely connected to a film's production being shown on screen(c'mon now, do we really need to know who the hell the "best boy" was or who catered the dang thing during production?), it was quite common for newer and/or lesser known actors not having their names shown during the much shorter credit-giving era, and so I'm sure there are probably hundreds of examples that people will be able to post in your thread if this specifically was your intent for it.

Great idea for a thread here, Sepia.

Back during the studio era and years before the practice commenced of a 5 minute roll of credits at the end of a movie containing every person's name even remotely connected to a film's production being shown on screen(c'mon now, do we really need to know who the hell the "best boy" was or who catered the dang thing during production?), it was quite common for newer and/or lesser known actors not having their names shown during the much shorter credit-giving era, and so I'm sure there are probably hundreds of examples that people will be able to post in your thread if this specifically was your intent for it.

YOU'RE on the right track, Darg.....unlike Speed and Ham, who let me know of people who WERE fairly along fame-wise and had some obscure uncredited role.  But, here's another...

In the original ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD:

BARBARA BILLINGSLEY, later to become the beloved June Cleaver, appears uncredited as a hat check girl.

And y'know....I'd GLADLY settle for a mere 5 minute end credit roll....

Sepiatone

Troy Donahue near end of Monolith Monsters

Clint Eastwood as pilot in Tarantula

Just watched these since it is time for monster movies.

Clint also went uncredited as the lab assistant to John Agar's character in 1955's REVENGE OF THE CREATURE

Looking up NBNW for any possible info on Gavin McLEOD having an uncredited role went barren.

ImBD shows a TON of uncredited roles, but JOHN BERADINO and NED GLASS are the only uncredited names of any note.

Thanks, Cid

Sepiatone

Troy Donahue near end of Monolith Monsters

Clint Eastwood as pilot in Tarantula

Just watched these since it is time for monster movies.

Speaking of '50s sci-fi flicks....recognize this young uncredited actor(sans pointy ears) in the 1954 classic "THEM!" ?

Leonard-in-Them-leonard-nimoy-17327869-7

• Like 1

I thought I spotted Gavin MacLeod as one of James Mason's henchmen in North By Northwest, but apparently now I cannot find any proof on the internet that he actually did appear in the film.

Speedy, I think you might be confusing actor Robert Ellenstein(1923-2010) who played the character Licht, one of Mason's henchmen, with Gavin MacLeod.

But don't feel too bad about this, as Mr. Ellenstein here DID resemble Mr. MacLeod quite a bit....

Robert%20Ellenstein%20%20North%20by%20No

Robert Ellenstein in NBNW

robert-ellenstein-259805l.jpg

An older Robert Ellenstein

Speedy, I think you might be confusing actor Robert Ellenstein(1923-2010) who played the character Licht, one of Mason's henchmen, with Gavin MacLeod.

But don't feel too bad about this, as Mr. Ellenstein here DID resemble Mr. MacLeod quite a bit....

Robert%20Ellenstein%20%20North%20by%20No

Robert Ellenstein in NBNW

robert-ellenstein-259805l.jpg

An older Robert Ellenstein

Okay. That explains why the movie wasn't among MacLeod's credits. Lol. I remember seeing a younger MacLeod in an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and he looked like the man in NBNW.

Thank you for clearing that up Dargo!

• Like 1

Okay. That explains why the movie wasn't among MacLeod's credits. Lol. I remember seeing a younger MacLeod in an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and he looked like the man in NBNW.

Thank you for clearing that up Dargo!

You're welcome, Speedy.

Perhaps an irony here is that Gavin MacLeod DID co-star(though I believed credited this time) the very same year of NBNW's production of 1959 in another Cary Grant film...OPERATION PETTICOAT.

(...though which I suppose NOW begs the following question: Did perhaps THIS also confuse Cary Grant while HE was filming these two flicks that year and call Gavin "Robert" and/or Robert "Gavin" during their respective filmings???) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

Maybe my favorite uncredited billing, though off screen, is the scene in Rosemary's Baby where Rosemary phones the actor who mysteriously goes blind.  Roman Polanski used the voice of Tony Curtis, as he knew hearing the familiar but unplaceable voice would confuse Mia Farrow and thus get the affect he wanted for the scene.

• Like 2

Another very famous, but uncredited, voice was Frank Sinatra's in ADAM'S RIB.  Frank's recording of "Farewell, Amanda" was featured at a pivotal moment in the movie without any credit to him or, if I remember correctly, to the composer, Cole Porter.  Kate Hepburn said that Porter, her neighbor in Hollywood, wrote the song for the movie at her request.  (When an outstanding box set of Sinatra's film recordings was issued several years ago, "Farewell, Amanda" wasn't included because the producers couldn't find the original pre-recording and didn't want to use the movie soundtrack, where I believe the song is interrupted by dialogue and, at one point, Spencer Tracy smashing the record.)

Charles Lane is another very familiar face who often played uncredited roles, among the 363 listed in IMDb.

Just try to keep in mind Gay, that the "uncredited" roles I'm concerned about are those of actors/actresses who weren't credited for roles in movies they did BEFORE they became well known.

I've also seen actors/actresses credited in movies at times they WEREN'T really all that well known, but still got their names in the credits anyway.

But I don't CARE about THOSE, just the UNCREDITED roles.

In other words, the uncredited VOICE of Tony Curtis isn't  qualified, as Curtis WAS pretty well famous when ROSEMARY'S BABY was made.

That LEONARD NIMOY still kinda looks like TIM MATHESON, although Tim would have been much too young at the time.  :D

But yeah, that's a good example.

More good examples---

JACK ALBERTSON

PERCY HELTON

JEFF COREY 

and

THELMA RITTER

are some of the more notable uncredited cast members of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET.

Sepiatone

Just try to keep in mind Gay, that the "uncredited" roles I'm concerned about are those of actors/actresses who weren't credited for roles in movies they did BEFORE they became well known.

I've also seen actors/actresses credited in movies at times they WEREN'T really all that well known, but still got their names in the credits anyway.

But I don't CARE about THOSE, just the UNCREDITED roles.

In other words, the uncredited VOICE of Tony Curtis isn't  qualified, as Curtis WAS pretty well famous when ROSEMARY'S BABY was made.

That LEONARD NIMOY still kinda looks like TIM MATHESON, although Tim would have been much too young at the time.  :D

But yeah, that's a good example.

More good examples---

JACK ALBERTSON

PERCY HELTON

JEFF COREY 

and

THELMA RITTER

are some of the more notable uncredited cast members of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET.

Sepiatone

So noted, Sepia.  Guess I'll save my erroneous reply for another thread.

i'm not sure whether this fits the bill but i believe terri garr was one of the dancers in "the tami show" concert film.

Yep.  Garr was one of the dancers in it, as well as an uncreditied dancer in VIVA LAS VEGAS.

It very WELL fits the bill, Scrutney.  Thank you very much.  :)

Sepiatone

I was watching the original Gaslight (1940) with Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard last night.

Soon after the strangulation of Alice Barlow at the start of the film the body is discovered by her maid who then goes running into the street screaming blue murder.  

One brief look at the maid and I knew it was "Mrs. Wilberforce" from The Ladykillers (1955) played by Katie Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...