Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Curse of the Demon on 10/31

EveCairo

I wish they would show the longer British version instead of this cut one. There are more atmospheric things that are missing, the wonderfully demented seance scene is cut, and the really important visit to the devil worshipers farm is cut. 

Is that seance scene really cut? I have a DVD with both versions, I should check. One of my favorite English actresses -- Athene Seyler -- sings "Cherry Ripe" in the seance scene, it would be a shape if it were cut. the venerable Athene -- who lived to be 101 -- plays Mrs. Karswell, the villain's mother.

I assume that would also be the one that does not include the demon himself, right? I remember Osborne saying the schlockey monster scenes were added later, much to Val Lewton's chagrin, and yet this is the version they always show. I didn't know so much was cut from it, as well.

It appears they'll be showing the same one again, though. On schedule it says it's the 82 minute version, whereas the full version runs 95 minutes.

• Like 1

swithin--I don't know what's cut, but the TCM version runs 82 minutes.  The imdb listed runs 95 minutes.

Just checked the DVD box -- 95 for the UK version; 82 for the "truncated" U.S. version. Both are on the DVD.  That's a big difference in running time. I'll check the DVD when I get the chance. I think some of the seance is preserved in the U.S. version.

Wikipedia:  "Cut scenes included a visit to the Hobart family farm, a trip to Stonehenge, and snippets of the séance scenes and conversations between Karswell and his mother."  This seems to be as EveCairo reported.

• Like 1

Just checked the DVD box -- 95 for the UK version; 82 for the "truncated" U.S. version. Both are on the DVD.  That's a big difference in running time. I'll check the DVD when I get the chance. I think some of the seance is preserved in the U.S. version.

Wikipedia:  "Cut scenes included a visit to the Hobart family farm, a trip to Stonehenge, and snippets of the séance scenes and conversations between Karswell and his mother."  This seems to be as EveCairo reported.

tcm had shown the uk version 'night of the demon' a couple of times which I really liked. they go back to the shorter u.s. version because it wasn't as good? (yes, for THAT reason) :D

tcm had shown the uk version 'night of the demon' a couple of times which I really liked. they go back to the shorter u.s. version because it wasn't as good? (yes, for THAT reason) :D

So, pretty much like of the UK version vs the American version of INVADERS FROM MARS then, eh ND?! ;)

So, pretty much like of the UK version vs the American version of INVADERS FROM MARS then, eh ND?! ;)

no, because tcm has never shown the uk version of william cameron menzies' invaders from mars but they dam well should!

but you see, Dargy, tcm are slackers! constantly falling short of the mark of true cinema devotees.

no, because tcm has never shown the uk version of william cameron menzies' invaders from mars but they dam well should!

but you see, Dargy, tcm are slackers! constantly falling short of the mark of true cinema devotees.

And here I would have thought with that new more comfortable chair you now have, you'd be a bit more mellow, dude?!!! ;)

LOL

Well I think NIGHT OF THE DEMON is a great movie-both versions! 

I get so caught up in the story I never notice what's missing....and the end scene with the monster is so great in slow motion...

anyone else see the similarity of the "Red Knight" scenes in THE FISHER KING as a tribute to the Demon?

• Like 2

What a great movie! I love the mayhaps hint to Aleister Crowley in the lead character's portrayal of the devil cult leader. I happily own the unexpurgated version but will still probably watch TCM's version which I own also. That inserted monster though, with the flared nostrils snorting out in the wild is really disconcerting. I wish he/she would just go away somewhere and attack Dana's brother Steve Forrest in some other movie.

Is that seance scene really cut? I have a DVD with both versions, I should check. One of my favorite English actresses -- Athene Seyler -- sings "Cherry Ripe" in the seance scene, it would be a shape if it were cut. the venerable Athene -- who lived to be 101 -- plays Mrs. Karswell, the villain's mother.

It's cut some but the singing is still wonderfully dotteringly there. Her performance as the believing mother is so poignant. But if I remember the seance requires repeated singing to conjure up more spirits. And since that's cut some of the singing is cut. There's and Indian, a child, of course her uncle etc. The great thing about the movie is some of the characters and you yourself are torn about whether this is real or not. Holden/Dana Andrews is obviously the skeptic at the start. 

I assume that would also be the one that does not include the demon himself, right? I remember Osborne saying the schlockey monster scenes were added later, much to Val Lewton's chagrin, and yet this is the version they always show. I didn't know so much was cut from it, as well.

It appears they'll be showing the same one again, though. On schedule it says it's the 82 minute version, whereas the full version runs 95 minutes.

I think the horrible demon insertion is in both. It would have been so much better had he been allowed to do what he wanted like in 

Cat People where we are never really sure we are seeing or hearing a large cat. That's why the swimming pool scene is so frightening. 

I forgot Stonehenge being cut. That's another scene where there is some distortion for Holden/Dana Andrews if I remember correctly. He has been feeling the wrong temperature and seeing things etc. 

I think the British version is better and as I said I think some crucial things are left out. It might have been some stupid producer interference as usual. It's always amazing when you hear what a film was planned to be or who the stars were supposed to be and how it got changed for the better or worse. Shirley Temple as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?! eeek.  

I think the British version is better and as I said I think some crucial things are left out. It might have been some stupid producer interference as usual. It's always amazing when you hear what a film was planned to be or who the stars were supposed to be and how it got changed for the better or worse. Shirley Temple as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?! eeek.  

All I know is that I haven't watched 'Curse of the Demon' specifically because I know that it's a butchered version of 'Night of the Demon' (which I also haven't seen).

I just keep waiting for 'Night of the Demon' to show up. After I've seen it, then maybe I'll watch the Americanized version.