Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Permanent TCM Logo?

I registered on this forum simply to point out that I am watching "King Kong" on TCM and I see that the station logo (TCM) is plastered in the lower right hand corner. It used to fade on and off a few times during a flick, but now that TCM is throwing us a bone (A re-mastered print), we are penalized with the now common place permanent logo that every other low grade channel uses. Sad. How long before we get infomercials on TCM? Don't scoff, I remember when AMC and Bravo were logo and commercial free. Is this the begining of the end for the last oasis on basic cable? TCM...just one more station soon to be showing infomercials at 4:00a.m.. For the record, I turned off "King Kong" and will watch something on DVD and contemplate just how much longer I will shell out $32.00 a month for crummy basic cable. TCM, R.I.P.?....Just my thought. I hope no one flames me, I think I am right in complaining. Why boast about showing a re-mastered flick then scar it up with your lousy logo? Permanent logo translates to; "We at TCM think you are thieves capable of bootlegging this movie, so we will protect our product from you." IMHO...

You are 100 percent correct.

In fact the reason I am here is because I just shut off King Kong......that logo was driving me CRAZY.........20 seconds every 15 mins is fine with me......I can deal with it knowing it will be gone within 15-20 seconds.........but the whole friggin' movie????????

Very frustrating.....

Tom

I turned King Kong off also and put in one of the three DVD's I received today from Netflix! I can't stand CONSTANT BUGS! It does look just like the amc bug by the way. FMC is the last hold out and their bug is so big that it covers 1/4 of the screen so if they keep thier bug on all the time, WOW! I'm with you guys, my commitment to Directv ends in December and I'm going to make some changes, maybe up my Netflix to 8 out at a time. I know that I do not have to put up with bugs, thats for sure!

Unfortunately, this may be new federal law coming into play people? Thus forcing TCM to comply? Yes it?s true, by all appearances the entire concept was designed almost exclusively to discourage video pirates! However, if this is a new law, it is one of the most asinine political decisions in the history of this country! So, blame Congress, and The FCC, for their unrelenting stupidity! All of these endless bugs are so totally unnesscary!

A couple, three station identification?s is fine during a broadcast, and I have no problem with it. Will someone please take the time to explain to me why this is not sufficient enough? These constant ?station bugs? have ultimately ruined all of Television! They have certainly not improved upon it, in anyway!

I waited years for TCM to show LE BOHEME (1926). When it airs this Sunday, it looks as if my recording, is going to contain that revamped TCM emblem in the right hand corner, rather I like it or not? Most depressing! Hope TCM is considering a John Gilbert DVD set soon, and that this film is on it? Wait a second KING KONG is over, and the logo is gone now! Although, it will probably pop up again as soon as the next feature begins?

I was about to post a comment about this very thing! The new logo is terrible! With the old reappearing logo, I actually liked seeing it pop up every once and a while. While the new one is more transparent than the old one, I HATE how it never goes away!

What next? In two years, will TCM be plugging it's own merchandise in the corner of the film throughout the movie! If TCM keeps on updating it's channel to make it more "hip," Ill definately keep to watching my own caassic movie DVD's WITHOUT a distracting logo getting my eye's attention throughout the course of the film...

I hope TCM reads this thread!

Shaw cable just started offering TCM in Vancouver two weeks ago.

I love the fact that they show movies the way that they were made. This has been turning into my favorite channel, and I was going to cancel some of my other channels until the logo thing tonight.

Up until tonight, I noticed that they only have the logo on for 20-30 seconds, and then it disappears.

This is fine with me, as I understand people trying to record and sell, but I had to turn off King Kong a while ago because the logo is constantly on the screen.

This is totally distracting to me, and really ruins the integrity of the movie.

I notice that the documentary of the filmmaker also has the logo plastered on the screen.

I hope that this is only a temporary glitch, because these classic movies were never meant to be displayed like this, and I won't watch them with this constant logo.

I notice that the documentary of the King Kong filmmaker was shown before the movie and also after the movie.

Sometimes short documentaries and musical shorts between movies have the logo displayed permanently, and then they turn off for the movie.

The 1925 movie Grass is starting up in less than ten minutes, and I hope that the logo disappears for this one., but I see that the same documentry on the filmmaker is going to be shown for the third time three hours from now.

I am so glad you all have begun this thread! It is distressing to think that TCM has succumb to the disease that has ruined almost all of commercial television. I cannot improve on the comments that have already been made. You have hit all the nails on the head. I only hope TCM is listening and will respond in a way to maintain their unparalleled record of integrity.

Please keep fingers crossed!

I just put "Grass" on, and the TCM logo is not in the corner, thank goodness. You guys got me real worried that this was a permanant change for TCM. But, I think the person who said it was because of "King Kong" was right on target. Warners is releasing it on DVD this week, along with the documentary that was aired (I believe). So, showing it with the logo on the whole time forces a lot of people to buy it who would've otherwise recorded it. I wouldn't be surprised if TCM was TOLD to do this by the higher ups at Warners, since they obviously look at the airing of "King Kong" tonight as a way to get people interested in going out and buying one of the three DVD releases. I think TCM still DOES have integrity, and would rather not have the logo on the whole time, but like I said, it probably wasn't their call.

Twenty one minutes into the currently playing movie, Grass (1925), the larger logo appeared for only around thirty seconds and then disappeared.

The permanent smaller logo that usually appears in short documentarys and musical shorts, appeared in the documentary just before King Kong and carried right through the movie into the repeat of the documentary.

This may have been a mistake. I really hope so.

Mighty Joe Young (1949) is on in half an hour and my fingers will be crossed until then.

This channel is too good to start permanently branding these classic movies.

moviejoe79, You are right.

I forgot that they are releasing a special 2 disc edition of King Kong today.

DVD Release Date: November 22, 2005

Disc 1: The Movie

Original 1933 Film classic in Glorious Black and White, Newly Restored and Digitally Mastered

Commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with Merian C. Cooper and Fay Wray

I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper -- 2005 documentary

Merian C. Cooper Movies Trailer Gallery

Disc 2: King-Sized Special Features

RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World - 7 Part Documentary including...

The Origins of "King Kong"

Willis OBrien and "Creation"

Cameras Roll on Kong, The Eighth Wonder

A Milestone in Visual Effects

Passion, Sound and Fury

The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence

King Kongs Legacy

Creation Test Footage with Commentary by Ray Harryhausen

I will buy this one for sure.

It looks like Warner Home Video also released a four DVD box set today.

Besides the King Kong 2-Disc Special Edition, it also includes Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong.

Mighty Joe Young

Commentary by Terry Moore and visual effects veterans Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with interpolated interviews excepts of Merian C. Cooper

A conversation with Ray Harryhausen and the Chiodo Brothers

"Ray Harryhausen and Might Joe Young"

Son of Kong

Mono soundtrack

Theatrical trailer

So Mighty Joe Young coming up in a few minutes, may also have the logo.

I agree with you about the logo another problem is it could burn into the T.V. That's why computers have screen savers. I read a article about a guy who claims it happened to him with the history channel. He said it burned the logo into his T.V. and it happened to my computer screen so hopefully they won'y have it on all the time.

no infommercials are coming to tcm and this was a special case for this one film; Warner Home Video requested it because they're concerned about piracy (which is a significant problem)

we had to decide if we wanted to play the newly restored/remastered version with the logo or the older version without it and we chose to do it this way

it may be this way again when we play it in December, then after that we can play it as we do all of our films

This complaint has come up a number of times over the year's on this message board. I look at it this way, I think it is a very small price to pay for having commercial-free and unedited classic movies. Also, there are plenty of people who are out there in the world selling taped and converted DVD's of TCM movies. This way the buyer knows where the movie comes from, and it may solve a few of bootlegging issues.

Guys,

We keep talking about how much we love TCM and love WBros for all the great DVDs and DVD sets that they put out on classic films.

One of the BIG concerns every studio has these days is piracy. The other concern is that with DVRs such as TIVO if people record the movie off the station they are less likely to buy the DVD. WBros spent considerable time and money on its efforts to restore "Kong" and on the bonus features on the disc. They want and need to sell as many copies as possible. The more classic film DVDs and sets they sell the more they can release next year. If their market for this type of film dwindles, then they have to take that into consideration because as much as we all hate it, they have to pay attention to that sort of thing because they are a business.

That said, I watched "Kong" last night and the bug in the corner did not bother me. I figured it was there because of the piracy issue. I will watch "Kong" again in December when they run it and hopefully one of these days buy the DVD set because they did a great job with it.

It was a small price to pay to be able to see it. Without the bug there, someone will record it to their DVR, make copies and sell them on Ebay, undercutting the sales of the WBros discs.

I would prefer that WBros make the money on the dvds because that helps ensure that they will continue the fine work of restoring and releasing the older films in their catalogue.

And, truth be told, no one appreciates and restores their films to dvd for our enjoyment better than George Feltenstein and the crew at Warners.

lynn in sherman oaks

The TCM logo doesn't bother me at all. I was so happy with last nights restored Kong that I didn't pay attention to the logo. Hats off to Warners for the excellent transfer and to tcmprogrammer for making the decision to show it!

The normal use of the TCM logo has never bothered me but in Kong's case it rendered the film unwatchable in my opinion. I shut it off about 20 minutes into it.

Imagine the curators at the Louvre putting a Verizon logo on a corner of the Mona Lisa to protect people from taking pictures of it and printing them and selling the prints. Who would really want to look at the Mona Lisa? Many would say....."well go buy the Mona Lisa print!"........and maybe many would do that.

My point is I'd rather TCM show us another film with their normal logo popping up every 20 minutes than to watch King Kong with a constant Ad in the corner. Mine as well show an hour long commercial for the DVD instead.

Tom,

I don't think the Louvre has to worry about people taking pictures of the Mona Lisa because they don't allow pictures to be taken of it. (Most art museums do not allow you to take pictures of the paintings because of the flash from cameras).

Warners spent a great deal of money and time restoring "KK" and I don't blame them for not wanting their product undercut by unscrupulous folks who will copy it off the airwaves and sell copies of it for a profit.

How would you feel if you loving restored something that meant a great deal to you and fans only to see shoddy prints of it available on Ebay or elsewhere?

I appreciate that Feltenstein and WBros made the new restored "KK" available to to TCM and all of us.

I admit I have a soft spot for Feltenstein and the crew at Warners because as I said before, there is not another studio in town that understands the value of their library, the need for preservation and the care with which they release DVDs of their classic films as much as Feltenstein and the crew at WBros.

lynn in sherman oaks

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Mary, burn - in does happen, don't let anyone tell you different. The History Channel bug and the Discovery Channel bug has burned into Plasma and LCD screens and they will not pay compensation for the damage that they have done. You are better off having a cheap $200.00 TV for these channels, and never let anyone use your good TV for channels the use constant bugs.

Hi Lynn,

I must correct you about the Louvre........you ARE allowed to take pictures of the Mona Lisa, my wife just went 6 months ago......but you are not allowed to use flash.

Regarding Kong, my profession has much to do with copyrights so I understand protecting them. Throwing the TCM logo on the film 4 times for 20 seconds is just as much protection as having a logo running throughout the entire film! An ebay bootlegger who sells films with the TCM logo on the film will sell them on ebay if it's on 4 times a film or throughout the entire film. My whole point is some percentage of people can watch a logo on the screen for the whole film and not be bothered, to others it is nails on a chalkboard!! I fall in the latter category.

Thanks,

Tom