Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Permanent TCM Logo?

Tom,

Thanks for the correction on the Louvre.

Hope you (and everyone) is (are) having a wonderful holiday!

Saw the trailer yesterday for the new "Kong" (in a theatre).

To paraphrase Dino DeLaurentis:

"Everybody gonna love this Kong"

(If I was a betting person)

lynn in sherman oaks

Wow! I read these posts before I saw the "new" logo and thought "holy cow, it must be like the animated garbage on some of the other channels". Now that I've seen it, I can only say one thing. WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? Sure it's a little bigger and brighter than the other one, but it's still far less obtrusive than most other logos. If that's the worst thing they do I can't complain.

As somebody else pointed, no doubt it has to do with the piracy issue and to encourage people to buy the DVD. That makes sense, why go to all the expense to do the DVD if everyone is going to record it instead. In fact, I've always wondered why TCM even ran a movie at the same time the it was being released on DVD. I would think they'd sit on it a few months so folks would buy it instead.

I've noticed that there are a few people on this forum who don't like anything TCM does. They don't like the schedule. They don't like the new graphics, They don't don't like the announcer, and so on and so on.. Next thing you know they'll be complaining about the color of Robert Osborne's tie. The thing is what they really don't like is any changes at all.

Well, you know what? TCM is a business and for whatever the reasons sometimes changes have to be made. If these changes can keep TCM running the best movies of all decades unedited and without commercials, I'll trust they know what they're doing.

I have written several e-mails to TCM about this horrible on-screen abberation (using TCM's feedback), the most recent was just over an hour ago. It was about the logo being on-screen for a protracted period of time during "A Christmas Carol."

BELOW is a 'copy-cut-&-paste" of my message to them about this horror:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our viewing of the 1938 version of "A Christmas Carol" on TCM this evening was sadly cut short by the distracting imposition of your advertising-logo on a large portion of the film.

Make no mistake about it-- your logo, created by your advertising department (or your ad agency) is an advertising tool that is insidious and dispicable. By superimposing it over the film, you are not, as you are fond or saying, showing films "commercial-free."

We had to switch off "A Christmas Carol" because of your heavy handed use of the noxious on-screen advertising-logo, and unfortunately missed the film that followed-- "Oliver Twist," something I wanted very much to see--- but by then I had my 1951 British version of "A Christmas Carol" (titled:"Scrooge") playing, and TCM was no longer part of our evening's entertainment.

I hope you remember these words, as you "race to the bottom" by leaning on your advertising-logo button, and becoming very much LIKE MOST OTHER TV STATIONS.

For lovers of film, TCM seems to be following the lowbrow path taken by the once-esteemed classic film channel AMC. Your new commercial-logo-laden airing of films may be OK for couch-potato "TV-WATCHERS", but is NOT appropriate for those of us who enjoy FILMS.

You are giving yourselves a 'black-eye,' and you are alienating your core audience by sending us to logo-free cable channels.

Words to the wise......

I hope someone at TCM is listening.

Mr. & Mrs. D. Gillespie

Indeed TCM is in business, but it collects big $$$ from cable companies for making their programming available to cable-TV subscribers (and satellite subscribers, too).

Not being satisfied with those millions, TCM hawks DVDs between films in a shameless and VERY-commercial-TV fashion.

Keeping the logo OFF will not change DVD sales one way or the other. The logo is an advertising tool, much used by lowbrow TV stations like SPIKE-TV and The Home Shopping Network. (I'll bet no one likes to think of themselves as a HSN couch-potato, but if you can take the ever-present advertising-logo in your stride, you're made for HSN).

Speaking of hawking DVDs--- now that the ENTIRE Turner Library of classic films (MGM, RKO, Warners) has been purchased by SONY, and knowing that SONY purchased said library for the sole purpose of providing content for it's new "next-gen" blu-ray DVDs due out in 2006, the purpose to all this behind-the-scenes change becomes quite clear.

SONY has been developing blu-ray DVD technology for some time, with the unveiling scheduled for next year. The new blu-ray DVD's will hold up to 50-GB of content (today's DVDs hold --on average-- about 4-GB).

This means that the VAL LEWTON Boxed SET that TCM has been pushing for $47.99 PLUS shipping-- (but which is available for those who must have it now, for only $41.84 at DeepDiscoutDVD- with FREE shipping) will be offered on "next-gen" blu-ray DVDs somewhat differently.....

ALL 9 Val Lewton horror films, PLUS the obligatory documentary, will (in 2006) FIT ON ONE DISC. --And SONY, with TCM's help, means to sell you that disc. Plus a new blu-ray disc player. --

....AFTER you buy the FIVE-DISC boxed set currently offered, that is....

Current DVDs will NOT be playable on the new blu-ray DVD players, nor will blu-ray DVDs be playable on current DVD players.

SONY bought the Turner library (which it adds to it other major content libraries, such as the entire output of Columbia Studios) so as to "win the war" with the other "next-gen" DVD coming from the competition, known as HD-DVD. The coming of HD-DVD is likely to fail, however, as it will only hold 30-GB of content as opposed to SONY's blu-ray DVD which will hold 50-GB.

Also, the only major studio pledged to HD-DVD is Disney--- A good studio, but with only a tiny fraction of the content that SONY has amassed with the aquisition of the TURNER Library.

By the way, HD-DVDs will not play on current DVD players, either, although they say that HD-DVD players will play current DVDs. Small comfort when SONY controls 80% of all next-gen DVD content.

Just think--- The entire content of The HAROLD LLOYD Boxed Set that TCM is hawking will soon be available, after the introduction of blu-ray DVDs, ON ONE SINGLE DISC.

Mr. OSBORNE never mentions SONY, nor blu-ray-- not while they have boxed sets to sell to you THIS YEAR.

NEXT YEAR you will hear a different tune.....

and, just for your info (and for the 'comparison shoppers' among you):

The "Dead of Night"+"Queen of Spades" DVD offered by TCM on this website for $23.99 plus $3.00 shipping, is being sold online at DeepDiscountDVD for only $17.99 & FREE shipping.

(NO, I don't work for them-- but I have shopped their website and can vouch for their reliability, quality and service).

ALSO: DeepDiscountDVD is selling the 3-disc "Wizard of Oz" collection for $5.00 LESS than TCM and with NO SHIPPING charges.

As for myself, I have suspended all DVD purchases untill 2006 when SONY unveils the "next-gen" blu-ray DVDs.

I expect that 6-disc "THIN MAN" sets will be obsolete when SONY releases ALL SIX FILMS on a single disc. The same will happen to the Val Lewton 5-disc set, the much-touted Garbo and Harold Lloyd boxed sets, and the list goes on...

Anyone who is wondering why SONY would sell a single DVD, instead of a box of them, need only consider TWO FACTS: SONY will make a fortune selling the new blu-ray DVD PLAYERS (remember-- next year our current DVD players will be obsolete), plus they HAD to head-off the competition's introduction of HD-DVD by developing, AND MARKETING, a superior DVD before the competition puts their product before the public. PLUS: SONY MUST control FAR MORE content than the competition.

TCM, now a tool of SONY, loses nothing by putting their ad-logo on screen 24 hours a day. They figure that the current almost-brain-dead TV-watching generation is NUMB to the on-screen logo (and truthfully, millions are quite numbed by TV, anyway, in many respects), plus they've got a whole new technology to sell you.

...However, they want you to buy up their current inventory of soon-to-be-obsolete DVDs. After all, to TCM's thinking-- it's better that you get stuck with them than they should.

YES, I realize this post might really make TCM upset, --but hey, it's important news for film buffs......

.....TV-WATCHING couch-potatoes need not take notice. If you don't mind the logo, you'll by anything.

Calm down, Twonky. You're confusing two different corporate entities.

When Sony bought MGM, it bought only its post-1986 film library. Anything before that is still owned by Time Warner, who just happened to be a major bidding competitor with Sony for MGM. Way back in 1986, Ted Turner did purchase MGM, but he later sold the studio so he could keep its film library (which includes RKO, pre-1986 MGM, and pre-1949 Warner product). So you're talking about apples and oranges here.

I don't know which new DVD format Time Warner is backing -- I kinda lost interest the last time the talks got bogged down -- but I don't believe that Time Warner and Sony are even in the same camp. We'll see . . .

Message was edited by:

coffeedan

Sorry-- but (with all due respect to your opinion) you're just a bit off on the facts. SONY now has control, and exclusive right to distribute via its upcoming blue-ray DVDs, the entire 4,000+ title Turner Library....all the way back to the 1920's.

One need only to ask SONY about it.

Starting with the release of the first blu-ray discs, all Turner Library content will be sold by no one else.

And, natch, all the boxed sets of today will be the single-disc "collections" of post-2006 DVDs.

CoffeeDan.

Warner Bros, Paramount and Fox are all in the Blu-Ray camp. WarnerBros joined up last month and is on the Board of Directors at Blu-Ray.

Twonky,

Just because these studios are backing Blu-Ray does not mean that Sony bought their libraries.

lynn in sherman oaks

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Current DVDs will NOT be playable on the new blu-ray DVD players, >>

According to the Blu-Ray website, current DVDs WILL be playable on the new Blu-Ray players.

When they become available, if you want to watch Blu-Ray discs, you will have to buy a new DVD player that plays the Blu-Rays but that new player WILL play your old discs as well.

Also, no mention on the Blu-Ray site of Sony buying the Warner/Turner library.

lynn in sherman oaks

Twonky,

Been talking with various people at WBros Home Video, Sony Pictures and Sony Home Video and they all say Sony has NOT bought the Warner/Turner Library.

As for the content of Blu-Rays, yes in fact they will hold much more content.

But, depending upon how the films are mastered, if they are mastered for HD, then they will be able to fit one film per disc.

I would suspect that WBros has been planning for the upcoming HD market and has mastered their recent restorations in anticipation of more people owning HD televisions and players.

So, it remains to be seen if you will be able to get an eight disc boxed set on one disc.

Let's face it, the day will come when the TCM library DOES get sold. No more TCM on TV. I may look back one day and long for the days when these great movies were so easily had and wonder how I could have ever complained about so small a thing as a logo in the corner of the screen.

I don't think anyone was complaining about a logo as station identification like Fox Movie Channel does on the hour and half hour. It is what comes with permanent Logos, they end up being animated and stretching out to tell you what's on next and then they shrink the end credits of movies to advertise what's on tonight. BBCA's logo turns into a cloud blowing across the screen saying don't miss this show tomorrow. A logo cheapens a channel and makes it third rate. I don't care if TCM wants a Logo as Long as FMC stays pure since that is the channel I watch more often these days. As long as we have one channel that we can turn to and be able to watch a movie without our eye always dropping down to see a logo moving all around.

Agreed! As long as it's not animated, it doesn't bother me at all (e.g. it's easy enough to ignore). In fact, on letterbox films it falls 'outside' the film frame itself. Small price to "pay" for uncut & commercial free classic movie programming, I say.

Off topic, my thanks in advance to all for your indulgence.

Allieharding (and/or other Comcast users): As a Comcast user, I wonder if you would be kind enough to answer a question for me regarding Comcast. I’ve tried calling them but they won’t accept my call because I’m not in their area. One time I got through but the tech person didn’t know.

I have a friend who has Comcast and wants to record one of her favorite music channels with her VCR but claims that a Comcast cable guy told her she was not able to do that with Comcast (regular channel, yes; music channel, no). Now, my own cable company (not Comcast) will not allow me, for example, to record a music channel with the DVR, but there is nothing stopping me from tuning in a music station, inserting a blank videocassette into the VCR and pushing the record button. She claims that she is unable to do that with Comcast, which I find astonishing since a VCR is designed to record anything that appears on the television screen … unless there is some way that Comcast can prevent that (I’m not a tech expert but I am hardpressed to understand how they can do that).

So with Comcast, to your knowledge, are you able to record a music channel using a VCR? Any comments from other Comcast users are appreciated as well. I’m just trying to help someone out. I don’t want her to miss out on something she enjoys. All comments are appreciated.

lux

ps Argh! This should have been posted over on the By the way thread in reference to Comcast there. My apologies.

Message was edited by:

lux0786

I found all this banter about the logo on Kong ridiculous! If you people really want a logo-free version then buy the DVD! After all I have seen it advertised in many places for as low as $14.99. I personally paid extra and bought the collectors box set so I could get Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young and the other extra goodies. Tcmprogrammer said that they would only be using the special logo during the broadcasts of Kong this month and next. So, if you want a normal TCM broadcast recording of Kong then wait till they re-air it next year.

Kudos to TCM for even airing it when it was coming out on DVD. I personally think it's a good marketing strategy because anyone knows that no matter how good the broadcast may look the DVD is even cleaner and better. I would rather own the DVD and encourage TCM and Time Warner to continue to invest time and resources to getting these great classics into a digital media before the old prints are no longer usable.

Kevin

If you enjoy discussing classic films check out the Golden Age of Hollywood Message Board at http:// http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com

I don't think what I said was insulting but factual. For you to state that owning DVDs is an addiction is absurd! I do watch my DVDs more than once and I enjoy owning special films like King Kong so that I can watch it whenever I want to rather than relying on TCM or some other channel to broadcast it in an inferior quality. I don't mind broadcast views but on my favorite films I would rather own the DVD. Some people collect stamps that will never be used for anything other than to look at. I'd be willing to bet you allieharding that even YOU collect something that I might consider a waste of money and time. Perhaps you should take your own advice in your post and stop insulting other people. What you said was degrading. Nothing I stated was degrading or insulting.

Kevin

http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com

Allie,

I don't think anyone has been rude or insulting on this thread. Other then the misinformation posted about the Warner/Turner Library and Sony's Blu-Ray, there hasn't been a problem.

Some people buy DVDs that they will only watch once. Some people buy DVDs that they enjoy for years. Some people buy other non-film related items that they will only enjoy once and some people buy non-film related items they will enjoy years.

The point is, it's not up to you to decide who is throwing their money away. Because you prefer not to buy DVDs is your choice. While some (if not many) of us, choose to buy DVDs, no one is more right than anyone else and no one is "better" for the choices they make.

I keep up with another message board where DVD buying addicts talk about their addiction, and when they talk about it they say the same things that a drug addict says. I'm not going to buy anymore old movies, just new movies, I've got 500 DVD's that i'll never watch, I'm starting to charge my DVD's to keep up, I hope Netflix will help me stop buying DVD's. I need my fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd say... personally I didn't have a problem with the TCM logo during King Kong. I figured it was there to make sure people bought the official DVD. And I will buy it, now that I've seen the movie first and know I like it - needless to say I think it's great that they air movies to promote the DVD release, giving us a chance to preview things instead of buying blindly. I never heard of Harold Lloyd before, but after seeing the TCM marathon, I'll be buying that box set too!

Maybe it's 'cause I'm new to TCM, (after pining for it for years), but I'm just so grateful for the chance to see these old movies that other stations don't run (and commercial free!) that I don't care about the logo. Even if it's there for the duration of the film, it's relatively unobtrusive, compared to other station logos/ads I've seen. Besides, I plan to buy all the movies that interest me on DVD if/when they get released, so who cares if the logo "mars" the picture. The picture quality's not outstanding for me anyway since I don't get digital cable or anything like that. Plus Shaw still has signal problems now and then like skips and screen freezes - though, I'm thankful to say, not as much lately.

I guess what I'm getting at is... you folks are all spoiled... quit yer whining. ;)

One more thing - I'm totally addicted to buying DVDs that I don't have time to watch (yet). But I'm okay with that. Gimme another fix!

I can't believe all of the hoopla over this new Sony "Blue Ray" DVD format. It's going to be just like all of the other new things that come out. It will take a while for it to catch on. Look at how long HD TV's have been available, and they're still not really "mainstream," where the majority of people own one. Same goes for an Ipod, or a digital camera, etc. When these new things come out, there are always people who buy it right away, but most of us can't afford it right away when it's new and top dollar. Or, we are savvy enough to wait awhile and buy it when the price goes down, and then there are those people who just don't care, and will be happy with their "old" DVD's, or even their old "videos." (wow, there's a word you don't hear anymore.) But take videos for instance. You can still buy a VCR, and you can still play a VHS tape. And VCR's are already considered ancient by today's technology world, however, most of us still have one. So, the point I'm trying to make is, this new Sony "Blue Ray" DVD format will not become mainstream overnight. And I'm sure they won't be releasing too many classic titles on this format in the beginning anyhow. It's always the newest movies that get picked for a new format such as this "Blue Ray." So I for one am not too concerned. And even if this "Blue Ray" DOES become mainstream, it won't keep me from watching the DVD's I already bought on my "old fashioned" DVD player.

And regarding the TCM logo, it's always been unobtrusive, and remains that way even up to this moment as "The Phantom of the Opera" is playing in the backround, and I haven't even seen or noticed the logo yet. The reason why it was on all throughout "King Kong" was already explained, so let's stop fretting over it.

Just to clarify - I wasn't "fretting" over the TCM logo...quite the contrary. I know I'm late to join this discussion (I don't visit the forums regularly), but I felt like commenting on the original subject of this thread anyway. Didn't mean to upset anyone or stir up old arguments.