Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every time I tune in TCM lately, it's a 70s, 80s, 90s, 0r 2000s movie

rover27

When are you tuning in??  Last night was 1930's Silly Symphony cartoons, 1949's The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad, and a 1956 Disney tv episode.  This morning was 1932's horror classic "Freaks", a 1935 short, 1936's The Devil-Doll, & several 1940's-1960's era movies.  Thursday night is "Trailblazing Women" series, & that Has worked into the 1990's-2000's.  Tomorrow night is horror film producer Val Lewtons' night--all films except a 2007 documentary about him are 1940's era.

• Like 1

I think two things are happening here--

People who do not watch TCM regularly tune back in and they do not understand all the special programming.

Also, we as a posting community need to realize that there will always be people complaining about newer classics-- there will undoubtedly be many more threads created like this one.

• Like 1

Earlier tonight on Facebook, I received a notification for a TCM Fan Site page that I follow. An individual named Eileen posted the comment below at 3:02 p.m. yesterday and in 30 hours there were 102 likes and 85 comments (most of them agreeing with her):

Looking ahead on TCM's lineup, so sad to see movies from the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's scheduled for this Thursday and Friday. Not yet classics, in my opinion. Other stations may show these movies as well; but who else will show movies from the 1930's, 40's and 50's? I hope TCM is only testing the waters and finds this a failure.

We have people thinking their old TCM is gone and now a new type of TCM has begun.

• Like 1

Ya know folks, I'm REALLY startin' to wonder if these people who come on here and apparently are either not cognizant of TCM's original mission statement OR aren't familiar with this special Women Directors series that's been running ALL this month because they seldom actually tune in to TCM, and THEN come on here like they're both "shocked" and "scared" about seeing a few fairly recently made movies on this channel...well, I'm REALLY startin' to wonder here IF these folks might be direct decedents of OR at least somehow related by blood TO the very SAME people who turned on their radios to the CBS Network the night of October 30th 1938 and freaked out thinking the Martians HAD actually landed in Grover's Mill New Jersey AND that the world they knew was about to END?!!!

LOL

(...c'mon, admit it...wouldn't that be interesting to know for sure?!) ;)

• Like 2

TCM and PBS are my favorite TV stations. Have watched TCM from the very beginning and have loved watching the movies scheduled whether from the silent era, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and what some may consider "modern" films from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000. The movies are all uncut, some have intermissions, exit themes, entracte's, etc. just like watching them in the movie theater....except they're in your home or now on some application device. I'm glad to see more "modern" films being shown on TCM along with the "golden age" movies I adore and know I'll find only on TCM, whether they be made in Hollywood, France, Italy, the UK, Sweden, wherever. TCM is like comfort food. And to me it's getting better by inclusion.

Perhaps I'll get a chance to see more Woody Allen films e.g. Purple Rose of Cairo (1985), Husbands And Wives (1992) Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) Sweet And Lowdown (1999) Bullets Over Broadway (1994) Everyone Says I Love You (1996) Deconstructing Harry (1997) Match Point (2005) Vicky Christina Barcelona (2008) Mighty Aphrodite (1995) Midnight in Paris (2011).

Along with the films of Ernst Lubitsch, Billy Wilder, William Wyler, Preston Sturgess, Mitchel Leisen, Nicholas Ray, Raoul Walsh, Howard Hawkes, John Ford, John Huston, Gregory De La Cava, W.S. Van Dyke, Mervyn Leroy, Carol Reed, David Lean, John Cassavetes, Frank Capra, George Cukor, George Stevens, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Garson Kanin, Robert Z. Leonard, Jules Dassin, Francois Truffaut, John Schlessinger, Fritz Lang, Elia Kazan, Richard Brooks, Michael Curtiz, Ida Lupino, Sarah Polley, Penny Marshall, etc., (thanks Women Trailblazers).  

TCM is always there with the best and sometimes even the worst uncut films. I hope it will be there for many many years to comes.

• Like 2

People tend to forget that "classic" is a moving target.  What was old or classic in 1994 (TCM's beginning) has evolved.  Also, "classic" really has nothing to do with age.  So films made in past decade could be "classic."

I think TCM has a nice mix of older classic movies and newer classic movies.

Also need to remember that TCM has to appeal to a younger audience as time goes on in order to keep providers paying for it (viewers aren't).

A film made in 1990 is now 25 years old, as much as we don't want to admit it.

Another factor is that those of us who have been watching since '94 have seen most of the older movies many, many, many times - and probably purchased DVD's of them.  North By Northwest for example.

• Like 1

People tend to forget that "classic" is a moving target.  What was old or classic in 1994 (TCM's beginning) has evolved.  Also, "classic" really has nothing to do with age.  So films made in past decade could be "classic."

I think TCM has a nice mix of older classic movies and newer classic movies.

So you are saying there is such a thing as an 'old classic' as opposed to a 'new classic.' Question-- when does a new classic become an old classic? And what if an old classic gets remade...does it become a new classic again?

:)

People tend to forget that "classic" is a moving target.  What was old or classic in 1994 (TCM's beginning) has evolved. 

Classic music hasn't "evolved". Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach were "classic" in 1895, 1955, 1995, and 2015.

The same with classic paintings, sculpture, and other art forms. Many of today's modern movies aren't even in the "art form" category.

Do you want to bring LITTLE WOMEN up to date?? Set in the San Fernando Valley suburbs? THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD set in the South-Central LA "Hood"?

There are more than 30 non-commercial modern-film channels. Find one of them to watch.

For every modern film you try to bring to TCM, that is one more Classic old movie that totally disappears from TCM.

Classic music hasn't "evolved". Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach were "classic" in 1895, 1955, 1995, and 2015.

The same with classic paintings, sculpture, and other art forms. Many of today's modern movies aren't even in the "art form" category.

Do you want to bring LITTLE WOMEN up to date?? Set in the San Fernando Valley suburbs? THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD set in the South-Central LA "Hood"?

There are more than 30 non-commercial modern-film channels. Find one of them to watch.

For every modern film you try to bring to TCM, that is one more Classic old movie that totally disappears from TCM.

I don't quite agree with your last sentence here, Fred. I don't think these films disappear entirely from TCM...but I do think they become more infrequently shown and longer periods of time elapse before they are rebroadcast. The newer films are definitely taking up airtime, nobody can argue that fact.

Probably the films that disappear, if any actually do disappear from TCM, are some of the silent films and some of the low-budget B films without recognizable names or faces that the programmers like to promote. 

Another factor is that those of us who have been watching since '94 have seen most of the older movies many, many, many times - and probably purchased DVD's of them.  North By Northwest for example.

That film, showing so much, is a very unusual oddity that EVERYONE HERE complains about.

I don't quite agree with your last sentence here, Fred. I don't think these films disappear entirely from TCM...but I do think they become more infrequently shown and longer periods of time elapse before they are rebroadcast.

Whatever happened to Richard Dix films? Warren William? INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHRS? RIDE THE PINK HORSE?

Whatever happened to Richard Dix films? Warren William? INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHRS? RIDE THE PINK HORSE?

Isn't it time to give this a rest?

Look at movie collectors statistics in this thread.  And this includes the TCM interviews of stars 

TCM NOT SO CLASSIC ANYMORE?

There's a Richard Dix film on tonight, Fred. As part of the Val Lewton tribute on TCM, we will be shown THE GHOST SHIP.

TCM's broadcast day starts for me at 6 PM tonight (mountain time), with THE CAT PEOPLE.

YAY!

For me, so far today, TCM has been "off the air" all day so far.

BOO!

SPECIAL BULLETIN!!

IT'S COMING..... TONIGHT!!   VERY SOON!! 8 PM EASTERN!! AND IT'S GONNA GET YOU!!

THE CAT PEOPLE !!

I thoroughly enjoy all Lewton's films...so glad they are getting the primetime spotlight this evening.

However, a few are not being broadcast. I much prefer the follow-up, CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (not airing tonight)...and I like I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (also not being broadcast).

I thoroughly enjoy all Lewton's films...so glad they are getting the primetime spotlight this evening.

However, a few are not being broadcast. I much prefer the follow-up, CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (not airing tonight)...and I like I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (also not being broadcast).

CURSE aired about a week ago, and WALKED aired about two months ago.

TCM has also aired a very good Zombie film with Fay Wray, BLACK MOON 1934. It airs once about every 4 years.

• Like 2