Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bertman316

Sub-titles and audio descriptions?! Anyone else seeing this?

I'm watching Dementia 13 on Halloween morning and I'm seeing sub-titles and descriptive services. I don't know why this is happening - only on TCM. Any help??

This happens to all of us....once. You have inadvertently touched the SAP button on your remote. The reason why you don't "see" it on other channels, is because they don't offer the "descriptive" option.

...just search around your remote buttons to change it back...

I'm watching Dementia 13 on Halloween morning and I'm seeing sub-titles and descriptive services. I don't know why this is happening - only on TCM. Any help??

Some of the newer TV's call it something differnent now  like "alternate audio" or something similar, but if you look closely at the buttons on your remote and maybe with  a little trial and error, you can shut it off. TikiSoo is right, I don't know of any other channels that use that "descriptive" service, but a lot of them use SAP to offer their programming in a second language like Spanish. SAP only deals with audio, so check your subtitles or closed captioning buttons in case those were accidently pressed too.

As remotes shrink in size and the buttons get smaller it's pretty easy to hit the wrong one. Since only a very small percentage of movies have the desciptive audio track, it could be weeks before you'd know it happened.

Thanks, folks. Yes, it was definitely 'descriptive' - sounds were decribed, etc. It lasted for a film or two and then was gone. Strange, because I didn't 'fix' it (I did try out all of the SAP functions). I was beginning to think it was a Halloween 'trick' ...or that the 'Dementia' in the title was actually happening to me.......

All is right, now.

We don't have the SAP option on our TV or remote--but SAP audio descriptions is really ruining my viewing experience at TCM.  We can't shut it off since this option isn't even offered via our television. We've contacted our cable company, and they didn't even know what it was in the beginning until I explained it very slowly and carefully.  They were going to come out to see if they could fix it, but then TCM started showing movies that didn't have the SAP option, so there was nothing for them to see to fix...but SAP is still playing on select movies and driving me crazy.  Any suggestions?

I turned on a movie this morning and the descrptive sounds were on.  I immediately checked the TV and it was on stereo, not SAP. 

There are several threads of this now. Some person at Time-Warner Cable pushed the wrong button and so the alternate audio is on all of the time for every subscriber. I have read that they are aware of the problem and are working to correct it.

There are several threads of this now. Some person at Time-Warner Cable pushed the wrong button and so the alternate audio is on all of the time for every subscriber. I have read that they are aware of the problem and are working to correct it.

Is it that way for all of the channels, or just for TCM?

Inquiring minds and everything.:huh:

Is it that way for all of the channels, or just for TCM?

Inquiring minds and everything. :huh:

I am sorry to say that I know of no other channel which uses that option.