Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TIME AFTER TIME

Palmerin

The time travel motif of this movie reminds me of that science fiction cliche of trying to prevent WWII by traveling back in time to kill Hitler.

That idea is of course absolutely ridiculous. The world in the 1930s was a very unhappy angry place; if H had not started WWII, someone else would have. Remember the war between Japan and China, which many regard as the REAL start of WWII?

If I ever get a time machine, I will go back to Sarajevo on 28 June 1914 to prevent the conspiracy against Franz Ferdinand. Think about it: if there is no WORLD WAR I, then there is no WORLD WAR II!

PD:

I wonder if Malcolm McDowell likes the song of Cyndi Lauper that has the same name as his movie?

The time travel motif of this movie reminds me of that science fiction cliche of trying to prevent WWII by traveling back in time to kill Hitler.

That idea is of course absolutely ridiculous. The world in the 1930s was a very unhappy angry place; if H had not started WWII, someone else would have. Remember the war between Japan and China, which many regard as the REAL start of WWII?

If I ever get a time machine, I will go back to Sarajevo on 28 June 1914 to prevent the conspiracy against Franz Ferdinand. Think about it: if there is no WORLD WAR I, then there is no WORLD WAR II!

PD:

I wonder if Malcolm McDowell likes the song of Cyndi Lauper that has the same name as his movie?

Rod Serling wrote an hour-long "Twilight Zone" episode -- "No Time Like the Past" (airdate: March 7, 1963) -- that tackled this issue. Dana Andrews starred as a 1960s scientist who uses a time machine to see if he can change history. First, he fails to persuade Hiroshima authorities to evacuate the city before the atomic bomb is dropped in August 1945. Then he is interrupted in Berlin while trying to assassinate Hitler before the outbreak of World War II. And he is unable to stop a German U-boat's sinking of the British ocean liner Lusitania in May 1915.

The final straw is when he attempts to prevent a tragic school fire in an Indiana town in 1881. Not only does he fail to prevent it, but he also causes it!

The classic "Superman" and "Superboy" comics also took the approach that history could never be changed by time travel.

Great description of that TZ episode jakeem!

I always liked this movie, it's my favorite McDowell performance. The idea intrigues me; that the Ripper was never discovered & blending that with the HG Welles story. I saw this in the theater first and it had much more impact than seeing it on TV.

Time travel changing history is the essence of IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE too. I love the difference in George Bailey's Mom-testament to Beulah Bondi's great acting skills.

PD:

There's also a Frank Sinatra song, lyrics by Sammy Cahn, that has this title.

Enjoyed watching Time After Time so much. Malcolm McDowell and David Warner are particular favorites of mine and Mary Steenburgen is always good. It's a wonderful love story to boot. The song Time After Time (American Standard) was written by Jule Styne and Sammy Kahn and Frank Sinatra sang it in It Happened In Brooklyn (I think). Time After Time hasn't lost it's punch. Terrific movie.

• Like 1

I always liked this film.  Time travel movies always grab me, sort of.  The suppositions of how someone from the past would react and adjust to being transported to the future.  Or vice-versa.

That a story was culled from H.G.WELLs' book about a fictional time machine to supposing his having actually created one was a very clever device, I thought.  That, and being an unwitting acquaintance of "Jack the Ripper".

The scenes involving a very "proper", intelligent and articulate speaking 19th century Englishman trying to navigate through the slang and social norms of late 1970's San Francisco are amusing. 

Wells' shock in trying to understand the concept of TWO "world wars" seems spot-on.  As well as his curiostiy at the numbers tattooed on the jewler's wrist. 

My daughter liked it back when she saw it as a kid, but still likes it because, --"It's a good lesson in making one realize NOT to take everything we now have for granted.  Wells didn't know from cars, TV and radio, wristwatches and movies, and women holding high level positions in financial institutions.  OR that peculiar WOOD they use in MacDonald's."   :D

Plus, I've long had a sort of "crush" on Mary Steenburgen since GOIN' SOUTH, which she filmed the year before T-A-T.

Sepiatone

Is there some way to see if this film will be airing again on TCM without looking through the entire schedule? I saw it at the theater years ago and just happened to be reading the book when I noticed it was coming on TCM, but I had to work that night.

Is there some way to see if this film will be airing again on TCM without looking through the entire schedule? I saw it at the theater years ago and just happened to be reading the book when I noticed it was coming on TCM, but I had to work that night.

Janet,

TCM has 'Overview' pages for each movie which will list the schedule for any future showings at the top of the page.  Here's the page for Time After Time:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/25060/Time-After-Time/

As you can see, the movie is currently scheduled for a replay on New Year's day.

You can quickly find the Overview page for any classic film through a Google search by typing in the movie title followed by "TCM".  The Overview page for that movie will usually show up at or near the top of the list of links that Google provides.  (Sometimes you need to know the year the movie was released if there are multiple movies with the same title, and then look for the film with that release year.)

My impression is that TCM updates these Overview pages when the new schedules are generated several months in advance.  So if there's a movie you're waiting for you can check the Overview page say once a month to see if it's scheduled in the future.

For people that only look at the message boards occasionally, I should also say that we have some very nice posters that will usually announce when the new TCM monthly schedules come out by starting a new message thread for that schedule so everyone can view and provide comments.

• Like 1

Janet,

TCM has 'Overview' pages for each movie which will list the schedule for any future showings at the top of the page.  Here's the page for Time After Time:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/25060/Time-After-Time/

As you can see, the movie is currently scheduled for a replay on New Year's day.

You can quickly find the Overview page for any classic film through a Google search by typing in the movie title followed by "TCM".  The Overview page for that movie will usually show up at or near the top of the list of links that Google provides.  (Sometimes you need to know the year the movie was released if there are multiple movies with the same title, and then look for the film with that release year.)

My impression is that TCM updates these Overview pages when the new schedules are generated several months in advance.  So if there's a movie you're waiting for you can check the Overview page say once a month to see if it's scheduled in the future.

For people that only look at the message boards occasionally, I should also say that we have some very nice posters that will usually announce when the new TCM monthly schedules come out by starting a new message thread for that schedule so everyone can view and provide comments.

Thanks for the info about the google search. I hadnt realized that.

time after time

i tell myself

that I'm

so lucky to be loving you.

so lucky to be

the one you want to see

in the evening

when the day is through.

i only know what i know,

the passing years will show

you've kept my love so young,

so new.