Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 Kay Francis Books

Soon to be released is A Passionate Life & Career, by Lynn Kerr & John Rossman. Has anyone read anything about this book? It's available for pre-order on amazon.com, and I'm sure I'll get it for Christmas or order it, but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this book.

Also, there's a book by Scott O'Brien called I Can't Wait to be Forgotten. Apparently it's published by what looks to me like an independent or academic type press. Has anyone read this, or know anything about it?

Alix, I made inquiries about the O'Brien book back in September. I can't remember if they were in the Information forum or the General Discussions forum. Either way, this is irrelevant coz I don't think anyone had any insight into this title. I saw the book on a web-page and it looked interesting...but you can never judge a book by it's cover (I'm so full of cliches). I never order over the Internet so I'll have to seek it out as I do most biographical books---at library book-sales. The stuff I find at those are fantastic, though I passed on Lillian Gish's autobiography a month ago and I'm regretting it now!

I also found the same website you did on the O'Brien book. (Perhaps I was lead there by a forum message, who knows?) I will probably order the other book from amazon.com, but was hoping someone by now would have read O'Brien's book and been able to advise us on what kind of a "read" it was.

If you find it or hear about it, please post!

Hi everyone! I'm the co-author of McFarland's Kay Francis: A Passionate Life and Career. We hope the book will be out before the end of the year, but we're waiting on the publisher to complete the printing. Meanwhile, I'll publish updates on our site: kayfrancis.com. I've also got some bloopers and out-takes of Miss Francis. Thanks for your interest in our book! Lynn Kear

It's wonderful news that FINALLY one of Hollywood's most intriguing and under-rated stars, Kay Francis, is being honored with two biographies. I am the author of one of these tributes to an amazing actress and personality and am happy to report that "Kay Francis 'I Can't Wait to Be Forgotten' -- Her life on Film and Stage" will be released very shortly from BearManor Media. The book has over 100 photos (some from friends and family) and is approx. 300 pages. TCM host Robert Osborne has written a great foreword for the book. You can check out my website at www.kayfrancisbiography.com and pre-order ($18.95) from bearmanormedia.com. I'm sure both Kay stories will be welcome additions to any film buffs library.

• 2 months later...

I Can't Wait to be Forgotten is wonderful.

I did not know this but a friend of mine is a coworker of the author Scott O'Brien and she just happened to mention him. She did not even know I had purchased his book. He was nice enough to autograph my book.

Enjoy. Tell me how you like it.

It has lots of pics I have never seen before, including ones of her as she was older.

I really feel I got to know this actress much better. She was quite a lady.

My husband and I are huge Kay Francis fans. We have most of her early movies, and enjoy her performances. I have always thought she deserved a bio, and now...there are two! I am in Kay Francis heaven!

The O'Brien book is scheduled to be delivered today. I'll try to post some first impressions tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend one of the Shearer books? I know that at least one is OOP and sells for big bucks, but I'd be willing to pay it if the book is good.

I bought second-hand, many years ago "Norma-The Story of Norma Shearer" by Lawrence J. Quirk and I found it very enjoyable and informative. It isn't a really long book, and after years looking for a book on Norma I was satisfied. I've been looking for Gavin Lambert's biography, because I've read it's very good too, so I think that sooner or later I'll buy it.

Absolutely recommendable too is the OOP Citadel Press book "The Films of Norma Shearer" which analyzes every film Norma made, and has many stills. If you are a Norma fan this one's for you too.

Last but not least, Mick LaSalle analyzes Norma's Pre-Code films and her screen persona in his book "Complicated Women", a highly entertaining book about Actresses during the Pre-Code years.

Thanks for the reply. The Lambert book is available new from Amazon, so I ordered it today. I also ordered a used copy of The Films of Norma Shearer for $30. The Quirk book is OOP and $70 for a used copy. I may try to do some comparison shopping on that one.

Currently reading the O'Brien Kay Francis book. I'm almost through chapter 2. It seems to be very well researched. Photo quality is not great, but it does have some interesting pics, including a breathtakingly adorable photo of a 16 year old Kay sitting on the beach. Lots of interviews with people who knew her, and lots of excerpts from her diary.

So far I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

"The Films of Norma Shearer" arrived today. It looks great. Thanks again for the recommendation.

One caveat about the O'Brien book. I'm halfway through now (to The White Angel), and it's still a good book. But the photo reproduction is terrible, which is a shame. There's some good pics in it that deserve better treatment.

I still recommend it though.