Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rare Norma Talmadge (and sisters) book?

jackpickford1

A few years ago I purchased the book The Talmadge Sisters: Norma, Constance, and Natalie from a used book seller. It was written by their mother, Margaret Talmadge. This book is almost brand new except it does not have a jacket and a dried flower inside has discolored a page slightly. Somebody has this book now on Ebay for $400. Is it really that rare or is somebody just greedy? I paid $20 for my copy and the person seemed glad to see it go finally.

I also found "From Hollywood with Love" written by Bessie Love. I see this sell for $100 or more when I see it listed online. I think I only paid $15 or $20 for mine. Things are so much more outrageously priced on the net!!

Oddly I had just looked up the Talmadge book on Alibris...It was $78... I remember reading the other Talmadge Sisters bio 30 years ago from a library in Maine. That was written by Anita Loos or Adela Rogers St. John.....

Was anything ever written about or by Mae Marsh?

I do have a book about Mae Murray called "The Self Enchanted." It was written in the late 50's or early 60's, and a lot of the info isn't supposed to be reliable from what I've heard.

As far as I know there hasn't been anymore books about her written.

I just finished Esther Ralston's autobiography called "Someday We'll Laugh."

• 1 month later...

The Talmadge Sisters book is pretty rare (tho $400 for it is a bit obsessive), as it came out in 1924.I can't remember how much I paid for my copy - but it was in the $60-$70 range. The other book you mentioned is by Anita Loos - and she wrote it in the '70's. There hasn't been a definitive bio written about Norma and Constance Talmadge - something I've been waiting for forever. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I read the Anita Loos book and it was as much about Anita as about the Talmadges.

There's a book called Silent Stars by Jeanine Basinger which is very good. It has sections on several silent stars (Pickford and Fairbanks, Mabel Normand, the Talmadges, William Hart and Tom Mix, Pola Negri and Gloria Swanson, Valentino, Marion Davies, Lon Chaney, John Gilbert, Coleen Moore and Clara Bow, and even RinTinTin) It is very good--not detailed biographies, but the basic pfacts of their lives and a short analysis of their careers and details of various movies. It was the first time I'd heard of the Talmadges, who apparently were like the Reese Whitherspoon and Julia Roberts (oslt) of their day. I'd love to see some of their movies.