Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beautiful...and smart!

moirafinnie12

Now that we've named some of the people who seem to be lovely, if unconcious--how about mentioning a few of the performers who, in addition to being easy on the eyes, seem to have a spark of intelligence? Of course, good luck, good writing and direction helped these folks, but their smarts didn't hurt! To get us started, there are two individuals who strike me as pretty sharp cookies:

Myrna Loy:

you'd never know that this somewhat exotic looking lady hailed from Montana by her early film appearances as an Asian beauty, but thanks to her later roles such as Nora Charles in the Thin Man series, Ms. Loy proved her verbal dexterity with some pointed dialogue and she even gave traditional "Mother" roles an interesting spin, as seen in "The Best Years of Our Lives". If you get a chance to read "Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming", her autobiography, you might be pretty impressed by her honesty and intelligence, as well.

Cary Grant:

looking at the bare facts of his beginnings as Archibald Leach, this guy should have lived and died in obscurity, but because of his unbelievable looks,drive, and intelligence he entertained people on screen for 4 decades without being vulgar or insulting his audience's intelligence. Additionally, he became an accomplished businessman in his later years as well. Interestingly, when someone once expressed a longing to be like Cary Grant to him, he is said to have replied, somewhat wistfully, that he wished he could be like that guy on the screen too, and he acknowledged how much work it took to be "Cary Grant".

What about James Cagney? I think he always appeared so unaffected by his success, and I liked the fact that to him, movie making was just his job. I love to watch him dance--he is just so graceful and athletic that you can't help but enjoy whatever he's doing. Not only that, but his wisecracking came so quickly, that you just sort of assume he was a quick thinking, witty man.

I saw the bio done on him with Michael J. Fox. In this, Fox relates the story that on a studio application, it asked for the actor's pet peeves. Cagney listed "knuckleheads" and "stupid questions."

I think Joan Fontaine fits this category. I always thought she was very attractive in a soft, very feminine way. She isn't a great glamourous beauty like Lana or Ava, but she was quite beautiful. And I do believe she is intelligent. In all of her roles she projected it, always playing a smart woman, sometimes a little naive, but always having a good head on her shoulders. And she seems to be a wise woman in real life too. In the few interviews with her that I have read, she is very well spoken. I believe that her sister Olivia deHavilland is an intelligent woman as well, although not as beautiful as her sister. And besides intelligence, they both seem to share longevity as well!

Beautiful, and smart? There were several I can name, such as Irene Dunne, Jean Arthur, Carole Lombard, Myrna Loy, Greer Garson, Rosalind Russell, Ann Sheridan, etc, but to me, the lady that rises above all these was Ingrid Bergman. She always seemed to have the right combination of glamour, allure, and wisdom to not only overcome whatever the plot threw at her, but to come out smellimg like a rose in the end, usually with a handsome man to call her own as well. She had the beauty that men responded to, but she never seemed like some other-wordly goddess who was inaccessable to most women, like a Dietrich or a Garbo. She was a truly unique "type" of female star, and remained so for a long time.

Mark, you beat me to it, I was going to post about Ingrid Bergman! This is a woman who could play anything. She was pure and beautiful but also very sexy. I could listen to her talk for hours. These days, I get so excited when I see her daughter in something. It's almost like watching her all over again.

• 11 months later...