Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3-D Films on TCM? and tv

nypalace

Being new to the board I tried a search of 3-D before posting this query and suggestion. In the seventies a local NY station broadcast Gorilla At Large, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Revenge of the Creature in 3-D using the red and green process converted from the polaroid. It would seem that TCM would be the ideal place for a festival of 3rd Dimension films from the 50's and even perhaps a great special documentary on the 3-D craze of that period. As a kid growing up in a small town I only got to see the movies in their 2D release. Have seen a few in festivals, but would love to see the ones I missed. Does anyone know why for some technical reason this hasn't happend? Medium recently used the red/green process to some good effect but why not try the polaroid process for brighter pictures and greater depth? Would be interested in knowing more about why more 3-D hasn't been done on tv, and if TCM follows the boards would like to suggest they think about a retrospective of the 3-D films in their library.

I don't know how popular 3-D is but last week T.V. Guide gave out glasses because the T.V. Show Medium was in 3-D on Nov 21,so some of us have them.

Some great and informative replies here to my first question. And special thanks to the programmer who offered the reasons why it's difficult. But was still hoping to hear some possible explanation as to why even when 3-D is used on tv and some movies, the red/green technique is used instead of the better Polaroid glasses. Is that also a matter of expense? For that matter with the clarity of DVD why haven't some of the old 3-D films been released on DVD in the polarized process. Would really love to know if there are technical reasons for that. Thanks to all the informative and interesting responses.

I do not think it is possible to do polarized 3-D on a tv yet. Atleast not without spending tons of money for all the things you need. Only anaglyph is a reasonable choice for basic viewers but all the color distortion is the downfall.

If you are that desperate to get classic films in 3-D format. Get yourself a set of field sequential glasses and a converter box.(Can be found on amazon or ebay for $20) You can find many of the classics in this format, and I say that the field sequential format can reproduce about 75% or more of what you would get with polarized. I have Creature from the black lagooon, house of wax, dial m for murder and a good number of other movies, shorts, and IMAX movies in this format.