Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is that all there is?

leobertucelli

Leo:

What do you expect. The library is only so big. When you show nothing but movies you're going to get repeats. You get trailers, shorts, cartoons, documentaries. Besides where else are you going to see these movies. You may get "Casablanca" for the gazillionth time but you're not going to get it anywhere else anymore. They have to draw new viewers. There may actually be some people out there who have never seen it. (Hard as that is to believe.) I think the number of people on this website show they must have a pretty good following. No reaon to be hard on them. In some way (for our film tastes) they're performing a public service. Lord knows someone needs to.

Chris

Say Chris recall on these boards someone stating that tcm has 5000 titles in their library---right, 5 THOUSAND. I'd say more close to about 150 if that many...All I am suggesting to that programmer IF there relly is a person there or, is it rather some computerized wheel that spits out each day what is to be seen...

I feel some changes are needed. By the way, the other channels are all somewhat the same but really NOT as bad as I've been seeing on tcm...

Think for a moment to late 90's --tcm was great then, each week was different fare, not the same things as now with same film just seen last week.Let me know what U think?

Hi Leo. I don't completely disagree with you. I don't think the same movie needs to be on four times a month. I'll go along with you making som changes, especially to see more films. I'm afraid I haven't had TCM that far back to compare notes with you. I know a long time ago, when local channels showed movies, you could have a chance of seeing all the Cary Grant movies or all the Bogart movies or all the Cooper movies, even foreign movies, etc. There's plenty to see. It may be my area but my point was where else are we going to get these movies. Unless I catch one early a.m. on Showtime or Cinemax the classic movies aren't anywhere to find. There's stuff I haven't seen in 30 years I would love to see but I can't think of another place they'll be. I don't know where the other old great films are but they don't seem to be anywhere but TCM. (This is fun. Look forward to any other comments.) Chris.

Hey Leo,

Every few months when you need attention you post the same message. You _assert_ that TCM is more repetitive than other movie channels (in the past you've specified AMC). I throw down the gauntlet: Let's see you present some actual (quantitative) data to back up your assertions: say, number of different movies shown per month, number of movies repeated within the same month, number of movies repeated in consecutive months. Don't even think of replying with something like "if karlofffan wants that data, he can tabulate it and post it himself". No Leo, that TCM is more repetitive than other channels is _your_ assertion, and that means that _you_ are the one responsible for backing up your argument with facts, not just repetitive rants.

Specify the time period you examined (so your work can be checked). Don't even think of posting bogus numbers.

> Say Chris recall on these boards someone stating

> that tcm has 5000 titles in their library---right, 5

> THOUSAND. I'd say more close to about 150 if that

> many...All I am suggesting to that programmer IF

> there relly is a person there or, is it rather some

> computerized wheel that spits out each day what is

> to be seen...

> feel some changes are needed. By the way, the other

> channels are all somewhat the same but really NOT as

> bad as I've been seeing on tcm...

> Think for a moment to late 90's --tcm was great then,

> each week was different fare, not the same things as

> now with same film just seen last week.Let me know

> what U think?

You people - and always the same few idiots who fail to comprehend my post.

Wake up and look into ratings, tcm is always behind, way behind other channels. I'm too busy to say more except just think and tell me do you watch same old fare tcm shows? I'll take PBS, Mystery, Sci fy, even the western channel. Anything so I don't have to look in on ancient 20's films, all those silent's and other

ridiculous things they show---Who know, maybe cm will be bought by someone who will add and more importantly, DELETE those 'things' that never really should've be aired in first place!.

I'm not one of those "same few idiots" and you know it. This is only like my eighth post and I've never responded to you before.

The bottom line is that you're simply not a fan of classic movies. You're just one of those folks who get their kicks by invading message boards and usenet groups of things you hate.

BTW, the only channel I know of besides TCM which airs silents _is_ Encore Western. Once in a while they show a Tom Mix silent.

> You people - and always the same few idiots who fail

> to comprehend my post.

> Wake up and look into ratings, tcm is always behind,

> way behind other channels. I'm too busy to say more

> except just think and tell me do you watch same old

> fare tcm shows? I'll take PBS, Mystery, Sci fy, even

> the western channel. Anything so I don't have to look

> in on ancient 20's films, all those silent's and

> other

> ridiculous things they show---Who know, maybe cm will

> be bought by someone who will add and more

> importantly, DELETE those 'things' that never really

> should've be aired in first place!.

Hey I don't mean to offend you BUT, there have been so many who fail to see what I'm saying and have said before, which is: I Do indeed enjoy classic movies BUT the batch that person or group who select what is to be seen any evening needs to look beyond those same things they continually show.

AND I think I might be able to view a silent for a few moments IF they were totally silent without their soundtracks.

Leo doesn't like classic movies (pre-1950) and it sounds like he does like Starz and the Encore channels which I hate. If you pick them up for a three week period, thats all thats needed for the whole year. Talk about repetitive, they are the worst!

He is not going to explicitly name channels because then he would be shooting down his whole argument. He knows that every channel is repetitive in the films that they show and that TCM is no worse than any other channel, he just can't go to a message board for FMC or Starz or Showtime so he comes here. But Leo, IFC does have a Blog that you can post on, I haven't seen you there yet? What complaints do you have for them?

You assume too much about me. I do like films from later 30's and especially the 40's. And if you read earlier posts by me you'd have known that my taste are in themselves CLASSIC --in dress, in my taste's. I simply find little merit in **** Harold Lyord's silent's; in fact all silent flicks. They simply fail to hold my attention.

But actors in a scene - comedy or drama is fine, especially when they impart feeling and carry the story. Story, that to me is the ultimate 'star' of a motion picture. Enough said? Or shall I elaborate further?

Oh, Gawd....here we go.

Leo, has it ever occured to you that YOU are not the only person in the whole wide world that TCM is trying to serve with their programming? When I was first able to pick up TCM's channel about two years ago, and shortly afterward started posting on these boards, there were already dozens of fine members here who had already seen all of the Classic Movies, TCM documentaries, etc., that I had not yet seen, and not a single one of them was complaining about "repeats". Thankfully, for me and thousands of new subscribers like me, TCM does repeat the great Classic Movies, or we would never have the chance to see them!

Additionally, TCM adds new Classics to their programming every month, and even those of us who have been here for a lot longer than you are still perfectly satisfied with the programming, although though there are certain Genre's that don't appeal to everyone. Just because Silent films don't appeal to you, do not assume that they don't appeal to many others...and worse yet, issue a command to TCM to stop airing them.

Leo, you don't think that TCM is being watched? Well, it appears to me that even you are spending a lot of time watching TCM, or you wouldn't even know what Classics are being aired, repeats and all! And, as "repetition" goes, TCM can't shake a stick to you when it comes to "repetitiveness". Do us all a big favor, and find something new to **** and complain about. Your "Silent's" and "Programming" rants have run the course.

Say Classic speaking of my 'bitching & moaning' I think if enough people complained - oh I don't mean just tcm BUT all these cable stations that take our monthly fee's and all of them care little thinking of our wants. All repeat, true but

let enough time pass between airings. OK?

And I still feel they all have other titles in their inventory. What I'm addressing is why not (ALL PROGRAMERS) show a little regard and THINK before schedualing what was shown 10 days ago, again and again, and again! So.....? You have to agree now don't you?

I'm really glad that movies are repeated so that when I miss one I have another opportunity to see it. Not just on TCM but on FOX and other channels as well.

But I do agree that some movies are played TO DEATH. 'Splendor in the Grass' this year comes immediately to mind.

Also, I have last year's schedule and have compared Jan /06 with Jan /05 and Feb /06 with Feb /05 and am disappointed to see that quite a few movies are not only replayed but in their exact same spots as last year - in otherwords were not changed at all. Makes you wonder what the programmer is doing - or not doing, doesn't it?

For the most part, though, I do like what happens with the scheduling but a little more thought would be appreciated.

wELL FRANKY TOMAGAIN, i THANK YOU AS WELL, And just perhaps if a programmer can look beyond what's in front of his face AND make an effort to look at he other titles then perhaps we can all ser something, anyhing that's not been aired in a couple of weeks. Oh well, it's a thought anyway.

Allow me to interject here without being attacked.

I don't think the programmer has too much say in what is and what is not played on the station. I doubt very much that the powers that be give all of the movie scheduling responsibilities to one person. And I don't mean that as an insult to the programmer, I just think that there must be more people involved. And regarding the repeated movies, I think they are repeated in order to attract more viewers. Someone who's not too familiar with classic film who's flipping through channels is more inclined to stop and watch "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner," than some obscure 30's or 40's film. And this more obscure film may be a big time classic to us, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't. As much as I'd like to think that "Dodsworth" is one of the greatest classics of all time, most people have never heard of it. And I may think that Norma Shearer is one of the greatest movie stars of all time, but once again, most people have never heard of her. And that's a sad fact, but it's true. And I think TCM does it's part in introducing and educating people to movies and stars such as the ones I just mentioned, but it can't JUST do that. It has to initially attract viewers, and they can do this by showing movies that we consider "overplayed." Basically, TCM is trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible, and in order to do so, they have to show movies that are at the top of the "classic" pile, the one's that have been seen and praised more than others. And honestly, even though I've seen "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" many times, and even though TCM has shown it dozens of times, I STILL watch at least part of it whenever it's on, since I love that movie. And I'm sure there are other classic movie fans who do the same. Who's not going to stop and watch at least a few minutes of "Casablanca," even though just about all of us have seen it, and multiple times I'm sure.

And if anyone were to really read the schedule and make note of all of the films played, they would see that TCM DOES show many obscure films, AND premiers, mixed in with the ones we've all seen over and over. They certainly give us a wider variety than any other movie station does, and that includes the premium stations, who rely upon their original productions to lure in viewers, since those premium stations show the same movies over and over. Actually, TCM has the WIDEST variety, if you were to compare it to the other movie stations.

Well stated, and also programmers of the many movie channels know that viewers have become very proficient with all the new technology. We look through Yahoo TV listings, not to see what we want to watch, but what we want to set the timer on our DVR's and DVD recorders for. While we are at work or while we sleep our equipment is recording desired programming. This is why a channel like Cinemax may schedules a rare film 4:00 AM in the morning and will never air that film again. They know that if someone wants to see this film they will set their recorder to catch it for later viewing.