Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

who is the idiot host?

agilles

after watching the way we were, the new jerk host was very rude and decided that cussing and making fun of a great movie was what he was supposed to do.

I hope TCM will read this message and let that moron know that he was not funny and should try and be a little more grateful for having a job with TCM.

Happy Holidays

I'm not a Ben fan either, I could definetely do without him or his style of commentary, but I don't think he writes his own material. I believe it's supplied for him.

If you watch TCM with any regularity you know that the Intros and Wrap-Ups by Robert Osborne are always quite similar though never identical or repeats.

I'm sure Ben was hired to lure the "hip" viewer but I'd rather they write material in support of the film then those wink-wink, nudge-nudge digs he often gives.

To my way of thinking it supports the viewpoint that, "Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a good movie but can you believe people actually like this crap?"

Well, yeah I do...

Yancey

Wow... this is an insane coincidence, but I was just about to post something about the weekend host Ben and how much he sucks when this post caught my eye! Yeah he needs to get the axe from the program. His commentaries suck... I just saw him describe "Imitation of Life" as just a movie about the hardships a black and white women have with their teenage daughters....

....uhhhh yeah Ben, and its also a movie with an explicit racial messages, remaining one of the most contreversial classic movies depicting race, and in particular, the racial identity of a light-skinned African-American, the concept of "passing", and skin color stratefication with black america.

Nice job covering the significance of the movie, Ben. Osborne is much more respectful of the art and has an eloquence Ben certainly doesn't.

I don't like Ben either. He's probably not responsible for his scripts... but he is responsible for the delivery. And he certainly doesn't come across well.

It would be nice to see a FEMALE host on TCM, dontchyathink? Surely they can find a woman who's a classic movie lover, and comes across as smart and likeable. Give her the weekend hosting duties.

I'm available. ;)

As I said I'm NOT a BM Fan but I can't believe he'd be delivering his material as he does without some bigwig's approval.

I never felt like BM was happy to be doing this job, but someone at TCM must be, he's been there for a while now. Contracts can be bought out but BM seems to be ensconced there.

When I said hip I didn't mean Frank, Sammy and Dean hip I mean some "Suit's" idea of what's young and hip. They want to attract a younger viewer to their channel. That's cool. Educate the lesser experienced viewer.

I mean, let's face it, there aren't a lot of people who are going to get excited that they're showing a film starring Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey in the first place let alone get a crowd under 35 to tune in. And in TV it's all about 18 to 35.

So they hire a guy with a classic movie pedigree (Herman and Joseph Mankiewicz are his relatives) that they think is the image and demeanor to attract that crowd and they give him smart **** comments to say like it's Mystery Science Theatre or something.

What they failed, IMHO, to consider is that the folks who tune in to TCM don't want their films denegrated by some guy who comes off as a punk making fun of the very movies they have anxiously tuned in to see.

Yancey

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

Just as AMC hired a young guy, Burke, to ( I can't even say attract) correspond to a young audience, TCM has Ben Mank. He projects the hip, cool, narcissistic, condescending, emotionally **** persona that TCM thinks appeals to all young people. I am 26 years old and I think that pose is b******t. Give me Robert Osborne any day. Even though he is reading a script, too, his age and his delivery transmit a low key sincerity that I prefer to the snide vacuity of Ben Mank. Bob, I love you, man!

Still waiting, agilles. BM cursed? I doubt it, but do post exactly what he said.

I agree, BM is pathetic and is there only out of 'entertainment nepotism'. He is a condescending attempt on TCM's part to appeal to what they THINK are the youts out there. Meanwhile, TCM already does attract, as can be witnessed from this board, all the intelligent youths that it needs. More will come to the station not based on this untalented host, but on the programming that hopefully it will continue.

I seriously doubt that he cursed on the air. He may be untalented but I don't think TCM would stoop to the level of South Park.

this is what the idiot said. After the movie was over, this came out and said " many people cannot get that damn song out of their heads. They either like it or hate it, of the name of the song was Footloose." Those are his words, so he did cuss and there is no reason at all for the aloof attitude from him concerning the classics movies. I can handle some amusement but when it is vulgar and disrespectful, then keep it to yourself. This is the first time that I seen this loser so needless to say. When I watch it again and I find out he is the "host" then I will avoid any comments. This was especially offensive because I have my 6yr old child watching this movie. I also would think that TCM would not condone this diatribe.Thanks

Interesting, thanks agilles.

More than anything, it demonstrates a lack of class.

Perhaps tcmprogrammer can explain why BM was hired. We know it was entertainment nepotism, and perhaps BM's relatives threw money at TCM, but otherwise, Bob Dorian would have been a better choice. At least he has class.

I've never liked Ben either, as I've said in another thread. I'm 26, and frankly I find him totally uninteresting, and actually a little annoying. He has this attitude like he thinks he's cool, and really all he's doing is trying too hard and it shows. He's trying to be interesting, but because his lack of knowledge is so great, he just can't pull it off. As another person my age said in this thread, I'd take another Robert Osborne any day. And it doesn't matter how old the person is, as long as they're interesting, and obviously have a love for what they're doing. And having class is a big help, of which Ben has none at all. And I also agree with another person who brang up the idea of a lady host. I wouldn't mind that either. All in all, I'm sure there are other "children" of famous Hollywood families who have a LITTLE more interest and knowledge then Ben does. And I'm sure TCM can find one, if that's what they're looking for, as they did with Ben. So hopefully TCM does replace him soon. They're probably waiting for his contract to expire, rather than buy it out, which would be more costly to them, to have to pay him off, and then hire someone else. It's probably not worth it to them.

There is only a small percentage of Guest (1000) and Users (33) on the whole, who come to this message board at any given time, as compared to people who watch TCM. Those who dislike something are more likely to complain than those who are satisfied. Therefore complaints like these should only be taken with a grain of salt and not be given much weight, Average mean or otherwise. For this reason I don't think TCM would use any of these suggestions after they are averaged in to the adjusted mean average to determine any significance.

Those who dislike something are more likely to complain than those who are satisfied.

An understatement (or misstatement) in the extreme (pedantry alert here), but I know what you mean. People who are satisfied are less likely to weigh in than those who are not satisfied. While I appreciate your statistical acumen and your fondness for the Scientific Method, I would say nonetheless that Ben is taking a beating here. If Ben’s popularity were directly related to TCM’s profit margin, I think the members of the Executive Boardroom and stockholders might be wringing their hands a bit, “grain of salt” judgements notwithstanding.

I don’t mind him so much. He’s no Osborne but who is. I prefer Ben than either Clooney (too mawkish) or Dorian though the latter might be acceptable with some training, so long as I am the one doing the training ;)

Ben has this annoying (to me) habit of doing a little eyes-and-head left at regular intervals, a little thinking-while-talking tic, which wouldn't be bad at all if he would look to the right once in a while ;) Definitely a minor quibble.

So I give Ben’s a thumb’s up FWIW.

Any other Ben fans out there? It’s time for those who are satisfied to stand up and be counted !!!

(Poor Ben, I hope he’s not reading this stuff)

I'd be surprised to learn that Ben has ever seen one movie that he's talked about. He's a cue card reader with a "I'm so hip that you'll hate me" attitude. I just can't stand the guy (not personally, but as a TCM employee..LOL) and trust me I've tried to like him.

Tom

Mongo,

I couldn't have said it better! Im sure that you, pathe,pattypancake,and others remember when we had lively topics and conversations going here. Now it seems to be going in a rapidly reverse direction. This is STRICTLY my own opinion for what its worth. I like to remember the old adage, "TO UNDERSTAND ANOTHER MANS PROBLEMS FIRST WALK A MILE IN HIS SHOES. " With all the good films and features going on at TCM, lets enjoy what we have! Again IMHO!

Ken.

Well, maybe his rich relatives didn't buy him shoes so he had to get a job at TCM doing something he knew nothing about in order to buy himself a pair of shoes?

Could that be it?

Face it, he stinks, he got the job because he has relatives in the biz, and this thread is to talk about how he stinks. Other threads are for talking about our love of movies. This one is not. Last I looked, this board was big enough for all kinds of threads.

Ken, don't feel that you did anything to be ashamed of. You expressed your opinion and you did good. More power to you.

By the way I used to wear blue suede shoes, loafers with pennies, cowboy boots, sneakers, moccasins, Army boots, shoes with tassels, white bucks, sandals, etc. all of which walked me to the MOVIES.

Ken, don't feel that you did anything to be ashamed of. You expressed your opinion and you did good. More power to you.

By the way I used to wear blue suede shoes, loafers with pennies, cowboy boots, sneakers, moccasins, Army boots, shoes with tassels, white bucks, sandals, etc. all of which walked me to the MOVIES.

By the way I used to wear blue suede shoes, loafers w/pennies, clod hoppers, cowboy boots, sneakers, moccasins, Army boots, shoes w/tassels, white bucks, sandals, etc. all of which walked me to the MOVIES.

And speaking of shoes I used to wear loafers w/pennies, cowboy boots, sneakers, blue suede shoes, moccasins, Army boots, shoes w/tassels, white bucks, sandals, etc. all of which walked me to the MOVIES.

Also Ben is a rascal and a character who appeals to the younger viewers which is fine with me.

Mongo