Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lost movie The blue rose

Rob

"The Blue Rose" rang a bell with me, but the title of the film I believe you're looking for is The Thief of Bagdad.

See here for some details and several reviews:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0054013/combined

It was an Italian-made picture, released in the states by MGM, but it doesn't appear to be part of the Turner library. IMDb links to VHS for sale on Amazon. I have a copy of the paperback novelization from 1961, somewhere.

I doubt that MGM still has it. It was produced by a group of European Production companies and MGM only picked up the US distribution rights. Usually these deals are for a limited number of years. I imagine any prints they still had are long ago destroyed.

OTOH, they do still seem to have rights on a number of similar pix from that era, such as the lowbudget Margheriti space operas (which get a surprising amount of play, considering how schlocky they are) and a few peplums and spaghettis. Two or three Steve Reeves epics even turn up in a library search, but not Thief of Bagdad.

Per a quick search, Embassy had the video rights on this film in the 80s. It's possible, though not certain, that they might now belong to MGM again, or rather, to Sony.

• 4 months later...

Before I read any more of this post I just want to say that I saw this film when I was a kid and always wanted to see it again. As I remember, it has a great theme song that I fell in love with at the age of 12 so who knows what I would think now. The story is very cool. I was sad that the rose is wrecked at the end.

I have been searching for this film for so long under the name The Black Rose and come up with nothing. Then today I saw an advertisement that featured a blue rose and I said, "Oh my Gawd! That's the title!" Silly simple mistake but it sent me off in the wrong direction. It is a cool flick. Can it still be found??????

It is NOT The Thief of Bagdad. What I remember is he is challened by the Heroin's father, who tells him that to have the hand of his daughter in marriage he must find and deliver the Blue Rose. The rose is one of a kind and is hidden in a place that one must first pass through 7 gates to find. Each gate is a test of character. The one gate I remember has women who serve wine that will turn the drinker to stone. I believe the hero loses some men that are with him at this gate and they turn to stone of course. But he passes through. The rose is mounted above an archway??? In the end he returns to find there is a war in progress??? Not sure but in the process of fighting the rose is destroyed. He then uses magic to create a substitute blue rose and since he did actually retrieve it he wins the heart of his love.

Lots of good material in this story.

Message was edited by:

FengShui

• 2 months later...

Hi Moira,

If you check the link, I think bollywood has nailed it. He's not talking about the 1940 version of "The Thief of Baghdad" starring John Justin, but of the 1961 movie version produced in Italy aka "Il Ladro di Bagdad", with a different plot, starring Steve Reeves and Giorgia Moll. These Italian films were very popular in Chilean TV when I was a child, and I remember watching it and definitely it's about the quest for a blue rose, and the passing through 7 doors to save a princess' life...

Message was edited by:

feaito

Not to change the subject - but - There is often talk on the board about The Blue Gardenia (which I finally watched yesterday and really like) and now The Blue Rose. What about The Blue Dahlia? A wonderful film noir starring Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake and William Bendix. I've been waiting ages to see that movie again - and it seems to have disappeared. I figure that it may belong to FOX because we don't see a whole lot of these people on TCM - but they do get some FOX films. Sure wish they would get this one!

Hi Scarlett,

"The Blue Dahlia" belongs to Universal and it airs frequently on the Cinecanal Classics Channel, a Premium Channel included in my Cable Package, here in my country. In fact it's airing today again. Cinecanal Classics' schedule includes mostly Paramount, Universal and Fox films. I wish I had a DVD recorder. The only drawback for English Speaking audiences is that these films are showed with Spanish subtitles, which is kind of bothersome for them.

The Blue Rose" rang a bell with me, but the title of the film I believe you're looking for is The Thief of Bagdad.

See here for some details and several reviews:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0054013/combined

It was an Italian-made picture, released in the states by MGM, but it doesn't appear to be part of the Turner library. IMDb links to VHS for sale on Amazon. I have a copy of the paperback novelization from 1961, somewhere.

In the 1940 Alexander Korda version of THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD (the good one, available on DVD from MGM), the villain, Jaffar (Conrad Veidt) conspires to have the Princess heroine (June Dupree) smell the Blue Rose of Forgetfulness, so that her love for Prince Achmed (John Justin) will be expunged from her mind and heart.

PS: Horticulturalists have only recently developed a method of really breeding blue roses.

• 3 months later...

bollywood is right, my sister and i had been searching a long time for this movie also. we were also searching under the name The Blue Rose, with no luck. then someone told me it might be Thief of Bagdad but when i went into the video store all they had was the 1940 version which definately was not the right one. The i found out there were other versions of the same movie and Bingo it was the 1961 version. You can order this movie on Amazon.com.,