Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Claude Rains Question

I know a lot about Claude Rains and am quite obsessed. One day I was making a wallpaper for my computer of Casablanca and admiring his very interesting nose. That, in turn, made me realize that I didn't know what religion he was.

I have always thought that noses were one of the most distinctive features of the face. I have always like noses like those of Richard Gere, Harrison Ford, Claude Rains, Ralph Fiennes, and other (usually larger and Jewish) noses.

This has to be the oddest question EVER (especially coming from someone not even old enough to drive) but I just happen to be wondering:

Was Claude Rains Jewish?

I'm not sure..Born in London England in Nov.18, 1889. Rains was a stage actor since his childhood in Britain,first came to the United States in 1914 and worked for The New York Theatre Guild Productions.

Was almost blind in one eye due an injury from a gas attack during WWI. Is buried in Red Hill Cemetery in Moultonborough,New Hampshire ,according to Bio from Leonard Maltin.

vallo

• 4 weeks later...

Upon reading this, I did a lot of research, because I adore Claude Rains, but could find no definitive answer. I'm going to quote a researched response from another site and hope I don't break an internet rule in doing so.

"When Claude was a youngster he sang in the Palm Street Church choir. That makes me believe he was a Christian. However, he played Jewish characters in various roles, notably Jewish patriot Haym Salomon in Sons Of Liberty.

In John Soister's book on Claude Rains, Jessica Rains told the author "that her father would occasionally wonder whether he did, in fact, have some Jewish blood...". But obviously he wasn't raised in the Jewish faith."

Leonard Maltin said this about Rains "short and not particulary handsome". According to who, I wonder. Seems to me Maltin doesn't know too much about "handsome". JMHO.

Thanks a ton, but I was actually the one who asked the question that you gave me the answer to from the other site. Nancy's Claude Rains' Movie Index, right? Isn't that so weird?

Thanks, though. And I like your other comment. What's wrong with being short?!?

: )

I have concluded that Claude was not Jewish.

LOL Well, it wasn't the 'short' that got to me - I think Rains is very handsome. Although, I will admit that I've always prefered short men. Men who have a complex about being short have always amazed me cuz I prefer them that way. Dynamite comes in small packages, as they say.

That IS funny that I found your own question. But, she did have a good answer, I think. I sure hope it isn't a rumor that Rains daughter is writing his biography. I've wanted to find out more about him for years!

Hey! I like short guys too! In fact, almost all my heroes, friends, and... well... whatever category Claude falls into... have been short!

Beethoven (my hero) was 5' 3- 3/4.

Napoleon (my historical obsession) was 5' 6- 1/2.

Claude (my whatever he is) was 5' 6- 1/2 too!

Nelson (my historical interest) was 5' 5- 1/2.

My Best Male Friend is 5' 5- 3/4

I have no idea why short is considered a downside! And my theory about my attraction to short people is backed up by the fact that Hitler wasn't really "short" at all. He was 5' 9 1/4!

I prove my point.

: )

• 4 weeks later...

Not me - but I'm sure it would be in his daughter's book. Has anyone heard anything about this rumored book. I sure hope it does get written. I really want to learn more about this man.

My opinion - and it's only an opinion - upon reading that he was married 5 or 6 times and got along well with all his ex-wives, would be that he was very easy-going and easy to get along with, so I would be surprised to hear about him disliking his co-stars.

Well, I ask that because of a post I saw on the thread I created about Claude's birthday.

Hi Movie Crazy999, Yes i do agree that Claude Rains was a great actor. My favorite being The Invisable Man of course. I had heard a rumor that Mr Rains didn't like to many other actors/ actress's. That while making a film he would try to out stage them, or try and steal a sceen every chance he got? Even so he was a great actor, and to this day I still love his work. Always, Larry/Xxmass

I have tried to send a private message to "xxmas." He didn't reply. I was wondering if you had heard anything about it as well, but I agree with your point in your previous message about the wives. How could he have been disagreeable?

(Why can't people spell "invisible"?) :)

Faces without noses are even more distinctive (have you ever been to Molokai?).

As for Rains, you may be thinking he might've been Jewish because of his role as a Jew in 1944's MR SKEFFINGTON opposite Bette Davis. In it, he has a rather touching scene in which he explains to his character's young daughter how people belong to one religion or another, that her mother (Davis) is a Christian, and that he is Jewish.

Perhaps that's what's stuck in the back of your mind.