Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Honor Of Linda Martinez

Lindassister

I just wanted to thank those who honored my sister last night. I was not aware that they were going to do that for her. I just happended to be going throught the televison channels last night and saw Rag Man on the schedule. I was so happy to hear her music again. It was also the first time that I heard her music to the other film Exit Smiling. Thanks again for sharing her music. She is missed dearly, but her music still plays on!!!

Hi - I had no idea you were Linda's sisters, but I'm so glad you liked the double-feature. Credit should go to Vivek Madala and Michael Picton (other Young Film Composer winners) for suggesting it. We loved her music, of course, but we also felt she was a part of the TCM family and we miss her.

Yes I liked her music too... she did a good job with Exit Smiling and Rag Man....

I wish TCM would open up the scoring competition and ditch the YOUNG part and allow people who can't WRITE music to submit something---even on some minor film stashed away in the library......

I do not think that my mother had the channel to watch the double feature. Is there any way to get a copy of it so I can send it to her? Thanks to those who thought to do that for Linda. Her birthday was 12/02 so it meant a lot to remember her. Good luck to those who are entering in this years competition.

I was up still when Robert said the silent sunday movie would be a tribute to Linda Martinez who passed away. I could hardly believe it. I remember her enthusiasm during the footage of her win of the Young Film Composers. I would like to send my condolences to her family and friends. I wish to let you know Linda that your music touched me and we will miss you, your cinema family.

.... "Silents" messageboard. Sunday afternoon I was just starting a thread to remind people to watch "The Rag Man" when I mentioned Linda's fine score. I really think it is the best that any of the "Young Composers" have done. It brought a lump to my throat when I remembered that she is no longer with us. What a tragic loss.

I am so glad that TCM thought to include both her film scores that night. What did Keats say? "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ? The beauty that was in Linda lives on.

found this:

In Memoriam: Linda Martinez

Beloved Yamaha Artist Touched Many with Her Talent and Spirit ?

It is with deep sadness that we share the passing of Yamaha Artist Linda Martinez on May 19, 2005 at the age of 29. A former child prodigy from Whittier, Calif., the accomplished pianist and composer performed her original compositions at such prestigious venues as the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and The United Nations Headquarters.

Linda Martinez, 1975 - 2005

Martinez made a tremendous musical impact during her short life, employing her versatility and skill as a performer and composer on numerous, wide-ranging projects. A graduate of Yamaha Music School, she was a frequent performer at Yamaha Junior Original Concerts in the U.S. and also performed in the International Junior Original Concert in Nemu-no-Sato in Japan. Martinez attended The University of Southern California, where she was named outstanding graduate of the School of Music. Even before completing her studies there, she landed work with the FOX network?s late night Keenen Ivory Wayans Show for a season.

This early success led to engagements with artists such as Jagged Edge, Genuine, Sugar Ray and Paulina Rubio. In 2000, she began touring with Destiny's Child, composing and arranging music for their live shows. She performed with such Jazz and Latin greats as Wynton Marsalis, Phil Woods, Ernie Watts, Bobby Shew, Sheila E. and Alex Acuna.

In 2003, Martinez edged out more than 600 competitors to win the National Turner Classic Movies Young Film Composers' Competition, composing and orchestrating the score for silent film The Ragman. Other film scores include Catching Kringle, Boy Next Door and Exit Smiling. She composed music for numerous programs for The History Channel and contributed source music and orchestrations for Columbia-Tristar's The Princess and the Marine, director Charles Burnett's The Annihilation of Fish, the TV movie Carrie, Showtime's Odyssey 5, and the miniseries Taken, produced by Steven Spielberg.

Known and loved by so many in the Yamaha community, Linda Martinez inspired all with her talent and spirit. To honor her memory, Yamaha Corporation of America?s "Yamaha Cares" program has established a scholarship fund in her name. Further details will be made available shortly at www.yamaha.com.