Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whatever Happened to Lois January?

WaldoLydecker

Does anybody know what became of starlet Lois January - the woman credited as the Emerald City denizen (wearing a scandalous amount of rouge) who is clutching the Siamese cat that causes Toto to leap out of the hot air balloon basket at the conclusion of "The Wizard of Oz"?

If still with us, why has this individual not come forward to claim her well deserved

moment of pop culture adulation? Why has there not been a Lois January Tournament of Poppies Parade as of yet?

Today's Trivia: What is the name of the cemetary in Glendale, California that is the final resting place of L. Frank Baum, Victor Fleming and Frank Gumm (Judy Garland's beloved father)?

Today's Trivia: What is the name of the cemetary in Glendale, California that is the final resting place of L. Frank Baum, Victor Fleming and Frank Gumm (Judy Garland's beloved father)?>>

Forest Lawn Glendale

The stunning redhead Lois January did more than just hold a cat in "The Wizard of Oz".

The dancer and singer went on to act in a slew of B-Westerns, appeared on Broadway opposite the red-hot mama Sophie Tucker and had a popular radio show on CBS for 5 years.

She went on to TV in various programs including a semi-regular part on "My Three Sons" and appeared on a Ringo Starr variety special. She was also a noted Los Angeles businesswoman.

At age 92 I would imagine that Miss January is now retired. Perhaps we can coax her to ride in a float full of poppies.

Mongo

Dear Mongo:

Thank you (as always) for such a considered, educated and thorough response.

I never cease to be amazed by your astounding knowledge of vintage film and all the major (and incidental) characters involved. It's truly a pleasure to have your encyclopedic abilities on the TCM boards. Lois January sounds like one over achieving dynamo to me! We should lift a glass of egg nog to her on New Year's Eve (to welcome in the month that is her groovy namesake!)

Sidenote: This subject has probably already been exhausted but does anyone agree with me that "Christmas In Connecticut" (Warner Bros., 1945) is the great underrated cinematic stocking stuffer of all time? Sure, "It's A Wonderful Life": deserves its sterling reputation but "Christmas In Connecticut" is pure FUN! It's so refreshing to see Miss Barbara Stanwyck in a comedy, Dennis Morgan lends fine (and very photogenic) support and that stable of Warners character actors remains unparalleled. TCM is airing this Yuletide treat this weekend (Sunday, December 11th I believe) and if you've never seen Stanwyck flip those flap jacks, you're in for a delectable treat!

Go, Mongo, Go!

Waldo, thanks for your kind words. It is always my pleasure to research and respond to a question, and even better when I come up with an answer.

By the way, Brabara Stanwyck is my favorite actress and you can be sure that I did watch the lady in "Christmas in Connecticut".

I'll be thinking of Lois January on New Years Eve when I lift my glass in a toast.

Mongo

Speaking of Lois January, she'll be appearing at the Hollywood Collector's and Celebrities Show in Burbank, California this upcoming January 27 & 28.

And "Christmas in Connecticut" is my favorite Christmas movie too, and it is underrated. But perhaps that'll change, since it's now on DVD, and also because TCM plays it every Christmas Eve. I always look forward to watching it that night.