Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to avoid spam and keep posting

TopBilled

Here is a suggestion that may help--

You can easily avoid the spam by using the 'Custom' feature to re-set the viewing filters. I currently have mine set to 'Topics I've replied in.' I do not set it to 'All Topics,' because that will bring up the spam.

I do not think people use the Custom feature very much...but if you do, it will lessen the interference caused by spammers and allow our regular film-related discussions to continue. 

Once the spammers' accounts have been disabled, then you can switch back to 'All Topics.'

Just a thought!

It's an interesting suggestion, TB, but most of my activity is reading. I don't post in that many threads, though I enjoy reading them.  So your suggestion would give me a really limited experience.

I think the earlier suggestion of limiting new members, having a wait period, etc., might be the best best and would solve problems beyond the spam problem.

• Like 1

It's an interesting suggestion, TB, but most of my activity is reading. I don't post in that many threads, though I enjoy reading them.  So your suggestion would give me a really limited experience.

I think the earlier suggestion of limiting new members, having a wait period, etc., might be the best best and would solve problems beyond the spam problem.

Then I guess you will have to make sure you post in threads that you are following. Or else you can experiment with the 'Sort by' option under the Custom feature. 

I do like the idea of them having a wait period on approving new members. But even then, a smart spammer could have several requests (bogus accounts) waiting for approval. So waiting a day or two is not going to stop a spammer from coming on...because TCM will not know it's a spammer until they actually get on and start posting.

Then I guess you will have to make sure you post in threads that you are following. Or else you can experiment with the 'Sort by' option under the Custom feature. 

I do like the idea of them having a wait period on approving new members. But even then, a smart spammer could have several requests (bogus accounts) waiting for approval. So waiting a day or two is not going to stop a spammer from coming on...because TCM will not know it's a spammer until they actually get on and start posting.

Your first suggestion is just not me -- I don't like to post promiscuously! 

Regarding your last point, has it been established that the spamming is done by an actual person, sitting there and adding spam entry by spam entry, one at a time? 

• Like 1

Your first suggestion is just not me -- I don't like to post promiscuously! 

Regarding your second point, has it been established that the spamming is done by an actual person, sitting there and adding spam entry by spam entry, one at a time? 

You don't have to post excessively-- just one or two quick comments in a thread you are following would suffice. It depends, of course, on how many threads you deem important enough to follow. 

I don't think the type of spamming has been determined, whether it's an actual person or not (obviously 'someone' is behind it). But my point was that how does TCM know which accounts awaiting approval are going to be spammers? I am sure they get many requests each day regarding newly registered users. Do they want to make it too difficult for an honest movie fan and TCM viewer to register an account?

You don't have to post excessively-- just one or two quick comments in a thread you are following would suffice. It depends, of course, on how many threads you deem important enough to follow. 

I don't think the type of spamming has been determined, whether it's an actual person or not (obviously 'someone' is behind it). But my point was that how does TCM know which accounts awaiting approval are going to be spammers? I am sure they get many requests each day regarding newly registered users. Do they want to make it too difficult for an honest movie fan and TCM viewer to register an account?

I've been posting excessively for years, and I'm not going to stop now.

• Like 1

I've been posting excessively for years, and I'm not going to stop now.

We know. That's a given. :)

One thing Swithin is not mentioning is the fact that many people do post on the threads they follow or find interesting. Probably there are very few lurkers. If you come on to this site, usually it's because you have something to say about TCM and its programming.

We know. That's a given. :)

One thing Swithin is not mentioning is the fact that many people do post on the threads they follow or find interesting. Probably there are very few lurkers. If you come on to this site, usually it's because you have something to say about TCM and its programming.

I like to read about movies, and people's opinions of them. I don't always feel obliged to chime in, perhaps because my opinion has already been stated by someone else, or something like that.  I even like the "Off Topic" threads, many of which have become political, because it gives me a chance to have some fun with the right wing. (I really don't know anyone like that in real life, and I don't generally post on any political boards).

I know we have posters who log on, go through all the threads, saying something in each one. That's fine -- it's just not me. I will never achieve the lofty heights of DGF, and although I've been on this Board five years more than you, TopBilled, I'll never catch up with you!

• Like 1

I like to read about movies, and people's opinions of them. I don't always feel obliged to chime in, perhaps because my opinion has already been stated by someone else, or something like that.  I like the "Games" thread, but I have this etiquette thing -- I won't post again too soon in the same game, after my previous post, even if I know the answer (assuming it's one of those sorts of threads).  I even like the "Off Topic" threads, many of which have become political, because it gives me a chance to have some fun with the right wing. (I really don't know anyone like that in real life, and I don't generally post on any political boards).

I know we have posters who log on, go through all the threads, saying something in each one. That's fine -- it's just not me. I will never achieve the lofty heights of DGF, and although I've been on this Board five years more than you, TopBilled, I'll never catch up with you!

Well, I can definitely understand the need to sit back and read a thread before adding to it. The older, lengthier threads require more time to comb through them and yes, chances are most everything has been said on the subject if the thread already has ten or more pages or replies. 

I bet most of the people who post political comments in the Off-Topics area are not 'right wingers.' So you may find those threads to be people sharing the same views about the right. I am just theorizing...I do not really read those threads and never post on them. I figure I am here to discuss classic film not politics. Also, I keep my Facebook page free from stuff about politics or religion. I only post about film and music on Facebook.

The Games & Trivia threads can be great sources for learning more about film and movie stars. To me, the 'game' is the initial lure, but the 'trivia' is what makes people come back and continue posting.

I bet most of the people who post political comments in the Off-Topics area are not 'right wingers.' So you may find those threads to be people sharing the same views about the right. I am just theorizing...I do not really read those threads and never post on them. I figure I am here to discuss classic film not politics. Also, I keep my Facebook page free from stuff about politics or religion. I only post about film and music on Facebook.

There's plenty in "Off Topic" that is not political, of course -- I like a few of those as well. The most prolific of political posters tend to be two right-wingers, one of whom is actually quite enjoyable to read. There's a prolific left-leaning thread-starter as well, but it's more fun to engage (and it's more important to refute) when there is profound disagreement.

• Like 1

There's plenty in "Off Topic" that is not political, of course -- I like a few of those as well. The most prolific of political posters tend to be two right-wingers, one of whom is actually quite enjoyable to read. There's a prolific left-leaning thread-starter as well, but it's more fun to engage (and it's more important to refute) when there is profound disagreement.

Makes sense. By the way, I just noticed you have over 7200 posts, so you are definitely not just reading on these forums/sub-forums. You are actively engaged in the various topics of discussion.

Makes sense. By the way, I just noticed you have over 7200 posts, so you are definitely not just reading on these forums/sub-forums. You are actively engaged in the various topics of discussion.

Yes -- I am active when something interests me. But remember -- you have 19,000 and you've been here since 2011. I have 7200 and I've been here since 2006! So I've been here five years longer than you, but you have almost three times as many posts as I have. I will start the celebratory thread for you, when you reach 20,000.

• Like 1

Yes -- I am active when something interests me. But remember -- you have 19,000 and you've been here since 2011. I have 7200 and I've been here since 2006! So I've been here five years longer than you, but you have almost three times as many posts as I have. I will start the celebratory thread for you, when you reach 20,000.

Thanks. That's nice. I just remembered you said in a previous thread that you will hit the ten-year mark next July when Olivia de Havilland reaches 100. 

So I will start a celebratory thread for you. How's that...? :)

• Like 1