Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Look to Schedule for TCMProgrammer

Don't know if I like the new look for the daily schedule. Really miss the synopsis.

One thing I did want to bring to everyone's attention. The PT (which I take to mean to Pacific Time) are wrong, wrong, wrong.

On the old schedule there was a drop down menu so you could choose your time zone, on the new one there appears to be no such animal.

Am I missing something?

Hello -

Thanks, we noticed the PT times as well, we are trying to fix. You can always select a title and see the content in the database. But we can add a feature where you can roll over a title and view its synopsis, if that would help...

TCM web staff -

Hello - year of release is there, so is letterbox, cc - which are on the right hand side. We haven't added cast yet, but we will be doing this at a later date (promise) - it is planned to nest directly under the title. Thank you for your input!

-TCM web staff

The new format is sloppy. No run times are included. This is the biggest defect for setting a recording device. It also is more difficult to search for a movie and to select the "Remind Me' option. Is there anyway to go out a few months in advance and to save the schedule as a separate file?

My initial impressions of the "new and improved" format are very poor. But I am hopeful many of the previous features will be restored.

You can search for a title in the new movie database. If it is upcoming in the schedule, this will appear in the top right corner of the page - where you'll see a link that says 'remind me' - here you can easily set a reminder. Or, if you don't want to look in the movie database - just select 'site search' in the search bar and you can find your title directly in the search results and set a reminder right there. We've made it fairly convenient.

On the new schedule page - look for the links that say 'this month - next month - month after' - these are the schedules which can easily be formatted for whatever need. And yes, we will be adding release date to the schedule - just give us a little time. Thanks again!

TCM web

Oh yes that dropdown menu was so useful. Every time I used the schedule, I would say to myself, "This is such a well designed site!! So visually appealing. So elegant. So user friendly!!"

This is not what I say now. :(

And yeah, the synopses were great -- not all of us remember these movies, so it's great to have a little reminder.

Dang, I want the old sked back...

*sniff*

I have no problem with any of the changes except the absence of the release date and running times. I don't have the time to check the imdB or Leonard Maltin (who's often wrong and doesn't list every film) to find out how long a film is. Very necessary information, I think.

I find the new look smooth and easier to navigate. Smart new graphics, too. But I gotta have those running times.

I like the new graphics look, but would really appreciate the synopsis and cast back. Also, the running times are going to be important for anyone that does not have tivo yet.

I like how you can click on the film title and it takes you to the database which provides lots of interesting info.

But when I only have time to check the schedule to see what I should set the tivo for or make time to sit down and watch the essentials on the schedule page (for me) are:

Correct time for PST, synopsis, cast and running time.

Thanks for the speedy response btw.

Hi,

Thanks Lynn for straightening me out on the times......

I thought I was going crazy, wondering how the Pacific could be 3 hours ahead of New York!!!!

I thought my Alzheimers schedule had kicked in sooner than was anticipated.....

Please TCM, get this straightened out soon -- it's not nice playing games with a feeble old man's tiny brain like that........

Larry

Hi;

I'm new to the forum (just had to join up to express my opinion of the new format) which is mostly negative.

I like the ability to see a week at a time, but how do you get to the next week? There's no link.

The times really need work at the bottom of the daily schedule where you show a few of the movies that are on "tonight" as they are very much out of whack . (I know you're working on the time zone issue)

Another real problem (at least for us Canadians) is the link "view Canadian Schedule". How does one tell which schedule you're looking at. The link should toggle to show which schedule is on the screen or have separate buttons for each.

I've found several links that don't work (which I will send by e-mail through the "contact us" link).

I really preferred the old graphics, and found the old site much easier to use. Hopefully this one will grow on me if these errors and omissions are fixed soon.

It sound like someone there is listening to all of us though, so bouquets to you - and thanks.

Hello new person - welcome!

Yes, we are working on them - we promise to address as many concerns as possible. Runtimes in the the full month schedules? Yes, we'll add those. As for a week view - look right above the film listings for the day and you will see a 'week' link next to a 'day' link - this will change your view from a day to a week, and vice versa.

We are working on clarifying the Canadian schedule - it needs some work. We will certainly add some designation so that if you are on the Canadian schedule, it will say so. Also - when you are on it - that the week view will reflect only the Canadian schedule, and that the 'this month-next month-month after' links that provide a full schedule are also only Canadian as well. I would anticipate we'd complete these in the next day or so - thank you for your patience!

And we are working hard to fix any broken links - if you find any, yes please email them to us in the 'Contact Us' section. Thank you!

TCM web -

I am very disappointed with these new changes to the TCM website.

There currently doesn't seem to be any way to SEARCH the schedule for films, either by title, actor/actress or director's name. This was a very valuable feature which seems to have disappeared. I'm aware that you have an extensive new TCM movie database, but this is more like a general reference tool and is not geared towards finding relevent information pertaining to TCM broadcasts. I can't find any way to search the advance 3 month schedule, or to see what films are currently in the TCM library. PLEASE PUT THIS SEARCH CAPABILITY BACK.

Before these changes, you could search by an actor's name and ALL his film appearances for the next several months would be displayed. it only required one click on the search menu and the resulting display was easy to read. I also preferred the old monthly print format for the monthly schedule the new one is not as printer friendly, nor does it have important information, such as film running time. It appears to me that TCM has become one giant billboard/commercial advertisement for SELLING DVDS, VIDEOS and EBAY. I know TCM has to pay its bills, but THIS IS A REAL SHAME. Honestly, I see these changes as a huge step BACKWARDS for all the loyal followers of this station.

Congratulations TCM! The new look of the boards is very impressive.

Of course anything new will take a bit of navigating and I'm certain that the few glitches will be taken care of, as they have been in the past.

Patience is a virtue.

A Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all staff members at Turner Classic Movies. And thank you for a wonderful year of programming.

Mongo

I also agree with you panellci --as that saying goes; if a'int broke don't fix it. If they must do something, get more & different titles thaan what's been on time & time again. Yes, Merry Christmas to tcm but how about adding other films to your inventory a New Year's resolution?.

I am also disappointed in the new "look". I used to decide what movies I wanted to watch by what actors were in the movies, what year the movie was made. The description of the movie alone does not help me here. I also used the length of the movie for recording purposes, and that is no longer there either.

Please bring those items back into the movie descriptions.

Panelli,

If you go to schedule at the top of the page there is the search window. Type in the movie name and be sure to change the default setting from database to site.

That will bring up the info on when the film is going to be shown on TCM .

Also, if you type in an actor/actresses name and do a search that way, it will bring up the titles of the films that actor/actress is in and also when they are going to be shown on TCM in 2006.

But the most important thing is to be sure to change the search default from database to site.

> As for a week view - look right above the film listings for

> the day and you will see a 'week' link next to a

> 'day' link - this will change your view from a day to

> a week, and vice versa.

Hi Tcmweb;

I am aware of the "week/day" link. That's how I found the weekly listing. What I'm saying is - how do I get the next week? Do I have to back to the daily view and choose a day that falls in the following week? It would be so much simpler if there were links to weeks like the ones already there (this month, next month, month after).

Also, It would also be very nice to be able to print out a weekly schedule rather than a whole month.

BTW - kudos from me too for the larger font.

I just thank GOD that the TCM UK Web site still follows the K.I.S.S. standard and hasn't gone commercialized. I depend on that site to keep up with all the British films that I want to be on the look-out for. Their site looks just like the Sundance Web Page which gives you a calendar to click on for any day and see that days movies along with all the needed info, right there at hands view. No bells and weasels

Sorry, but this new schedule format stinks.

I hope it isn't permanent.

This is another situation where more modern is not necessarily better.

I like the synopsis of each movie on the first page you click on, just like it was before on the schedule. Why fiddle with something that was perfectly fine as it was before? Then it's very difficult to scroll ahead to the next week, then to the next, as it was before.

Please, put it back to the way it was before. "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it."

Thanks.

Hello everyone -

First, thank you for your feedback. And to Mongo - thanks for the kind words, we will pass along the salutations to all the staff here. And many happy holidays to all.

As for the search questions, let me address the ability to find a title or star with their complete schedule first.

This can be done 2 ways. The fastest way is to go to the TCM Search bar at the top of the page and select "site search." Then enter the title or star you are looking for and select "go." This search replicates what was on the previous site. You will find a star or titles listing here in the same manner as before, with a "remind me" email capability. We've even improved it so you get back more relevant information.

The second way to find a star or title and see if they are on TCM, is to use the Movie Database. When you find a star or title - click on them, and you will arrive at their main page. In the top left section of the page, in blue, is an area called "Playing On TCM." This area tells you if the title or person is playing on TCM and what date - and you can set a reminder here as well, just like on the "site search." In fact, for film stars - there is a "more" button which lets you cycle through all the films as they are upcoming on TCM (if they have more than one film!). Just try it for a big star like Humphrey Bogart or Clarke Gable. It's pretty handy - you can see all the dates they are playing on TCM, and you can also select title to see that database record as well. We've tried to make it helpful and useful.

As for the main TCM film schedule. We will update the full page monthly schedules with all of same features that existed previously, we just couldn't get them completed in time - but will before the end of the week. This will include year, runtime, brief synopsis, principal cast, and letterbox and color/bw information.

We will add runtime listings to the Main Schedule shortly.

As for a multiple week views - we can try and add this capability in, but it may take us some time. We will likely add in the ability so that if you select any day of the month, you can at least view the week of the day selected, which should be of help to allow anyone to view multiple weeks for that month of programming. For further months, you will need to use the full page monthly schedules. We will work hard to add this in, based upon your requests.

Just wanted to get back to everyone and let them know we are working to get these in before the holiday. Thank you!

TCM web