Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Look to Schedule for TCMProgrammer

>>We will update the full page monthly schedules with all of same features that existed previously, we just couldn't get them completed in time - but will before the end of the week. This will include year, runtime, brief synopsis, principal cast, and letterbox and color/bw information.

That's a relief. Thanks.

I like the new look. As many have pointed out, you have some bugs to work out, but I'm sure you will. I guess this is where you hear from all of the folks who resist change. Keep up the good work.

> Hello - year of release is there, so is letterbox, cc

> - which are on the right hand side. We haven't added

> cast yet, but we will be doing this at a later date

> (promise) - it is planned to nest directly under the

> title. Thank you for your input!

>

> -TCM web staff

Thanks for the feedback TCM web staff, but I mean that that info is not featured in the "month schedule". Not at all. It used to be there. The layout is fine and the new Look cute, but the info is missing. Hope it'll be included again. Thanks again!

I miss the in depth PRINTABLE schedule. How do I get such a schedule in Pacific Time format? The new look offers lot's o' bells and whistles, but I want less form and more function. I want a 3 sentence synopsis, cast, director, running time and format( letterbox, etc.).

Regarding the daily program schedule...

Who decided that giving viewers less information on one page would be helpful or appreciated?

(It doesn't help matters that my December Now Playing went astray, so I have no schedule for TCM except what I get from the Web site. And three e-mails about the schedule have netted me nothing but three automated replies.)

I used to be able to pop over to the TCM schedule (using a bookmark in my Favorites folder; FWIW, the bookmark no longer works--new URL--so that's changing now, too)...anyway, I used to pop over to the schedule, see a list of the day's movies--with a quick synopsis, director, and star info--and plan what I wanted to watch from that. Now, except for the four movies at the bottom of the page (and I seldom get to watch in primetime), I get no information that might make me want to watch one of the movies listed.

Surely no one thought that giving viewers less information was a good idea...

Tcmweb guy/girl,

One thing that I noticed is when clicking on a movie and going to the synopsis in the database it is one very l-o-n-g paragraph (example The Thing).

To make the synopsis in the database more readable could it be broken up into paragraphs (this might also make it more graphically pleasing).

Just an idea.

As for many of the complaints here, if you read the entire thread you will find that they are working on resolving many of the complaints and have been since earlier this morning (PST).

The new look requires alot more work to get to the information that was presented quite simply on the "old" website. The new site is flashier but has much less economy in getting to the info that's important to the viewer...imho

I actually like and prefer the new layout! I think it's very nicely designed and functional. I assume that the TCM email program guide will still be emailed every month in the same format? As long as that is available and anyone can still subscribe to it I see no reason why anyone would complain. It is my experience in management though that people hate change because it requires them to adjust to something new and perhaps challenging. Don't let the critics get to you. Part of my responsibility of managing my departments webpage at work and I know what kind of hard work and planning goes into these type projects. I am looking forward to see what other changes you guys have developed!

Kevin

http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com

I hate change as much as and more than most, and I want the cast information back, pronto, but again, here is what tcmprogrammer said:

>>We will update the full page monthly schedules with all of same features that existed previously, we just couldn't get them completed in time - but will before the end of the week. This will include year, runtime, brief synopsis, principal cast, and letterbox and color/bw information.

My question, since I take it most of the changes were good ones and you didn't just fix what wasn't broke:

why didn't you just wait until the end of the week before you rolled out all the changes?

I'm sure the word 'money' is somewhere in the answer, but I'm just curious.

> ... I assume that the TCM email program guide will still be emailed every month in the same format? As long as that is available and anyone can still subscribe to it I see no reason why anyone would complain. It is my experience in management though that people hate change because it requires them to adjust to something new and perhaps challenging.

I haven't subscribed to the e-mail program guide in the past. Why should I have to open e-mail software and locate an old e-mail to see the schedule instead of going to a single schedule page to find useful information? Besides that, TCM occasionally modifies the schedule when a Hollywood figure dies; an out-of-date e-mailed schedule is useless then.

As for "new and perhaps challenging"-- Having to click into 15 different pages to get the information I used to get on one page isn't "challenging". I can think of a lot of other words for it, but I'll limit myself to "frustrating." (And who wants a "challenging" program guide? Wouldn't a "useful" one be more desirable?)

There have been comments here that the monthly schedule will be fixed to add the missing information of cast, director, synopsis, run-times, etc. But I haven't seen any suggestions that the one-page schedule--the schedule you get when you click "Schedule" at the top of the page--is going to revert to its formerly useful self. This is extremely frustrating to this long-time user. I may go back to using the lame grids in the newspaper's TV listings. The paper's grids, at least, list an actor or two.

I have a couple things to point out to the TCM tech crew RE: Remind Me function.

I ran a search for "The Sting" using the site search, not the larger Movie Database option. One schedule match with two program times (including cast, director, runtime and brief description) appears. When I click on either the clock or "Remind Me" link, a new, smaller browser opens. The following message appears: "The page you are looking for is no longer here. Please use your back button, or choose a link from the top navigation."

The newer Remind Me function which allows users to check multiple playtimes is a nice improvement. Also, the e-mail address allows auto complete. I would suggest changing the subject of the message to include the name of the program instead of the current "TCMReminder".

I am glad to read the TCM staff is working assiduously to improve the new site.

~~ why didn't you just wait until the end of the week before you rolled out all the changes?

I'm sure the word 'money' is somewhere in the answer, but I'm just curious. ~~

My guess is that if all these changes were implemented at once, this site would have been down for, at least, a whole day. Little by little...we must have patience.

I'm liking the new changes, and find it very easy to navigate. Thank you webmaster, for the tireless efforts which go into creating this very complicated behind-the-scenes site. I know it will fall into place, and soon be second nature to us all.

Message was edited by:

stargzn

>...."I haven't subscribed to the e-mail program guide in the past. Why should I have to open e-mail software and locate an old e-mail to see the schedule instead of going to a single schedule page to find useful information? Besides that, TCM occasionally modifies the schedule when a Hollywood figure dies; an out-of-date e-mailed schedule is useless then."

Kathy, I guess I do not understand what would be so difficult to set up a "folder" in your email program to dump the schedule into. It would actually be more quickly available to you than jumping on line. As for the occasional schedule change the daily schedule is still here for you to look at and I don't see how that can be so troublesome.

As I said the site is coming along nicely and hopefully all the bugs will be out of it soon and probably once everyone gets used to how things work now they will wonder what all the fuss was about.

And for those of you who complain about not having the month schedule it's right here:

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/month/

Just open your eyes and look at the navigator why don't you?

Kevin

http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com

Thanks TCM Staff for fixing the problem concerning the month schedule, now it lists year of release, cast and format (LBX). Thanks so much for listening to us, fans of your Station and Website, and being so diligent and prompt to respond. I'm thoroughly satisfied :)

> The new look requires alot more work to get to the

> information that was presented quite simply on the

> "old" website. The new site is flashier but has much

> less economy in getting to the info that's important

> to the viewer...imho

I just wanted to say that I heartily concur with jerryg. It seems to me they're needlessly complicating things, and I can only assume they're doing this so that we'll have to spend more time at this website, clicking through more pages, rather than going straight to the area we want to get the information we want *quickly*.

Sorry to repeat this, as I've mentioned it elsewhere, but perhaps the TCM programmer is only reading this thread:

The movie runtimes are now rounded up (90 min. instead of 88, for example) and I hope they'll return to the exact runtimes like they used to. It was more convenient for people setting VCRs or DVD Recorders. Plus, the way it is now, we have no indication how much "spare time" there'll be between movies - which means we have no idea when to tune in for One Reel Wonders and other shorts!

Has this been done to leave us in the dark so that we can't record things as easily? I realize that TCM never told us exactly when or if there'd be shorts, but at least before you could see when there was 15 or 20 or 25 minutes between movies and make sure to tune in because it was more likely there'd be a short or special featurette then. I'll be very upset if they make it impossible for us to do this anymore.

Oh, and for the love of all that's holy, PLEASE bring back the option to choose different timezones! I want to be able to print out the Canadian Pacific time schedules. Don't let's eliminate every convenience, eh?

Guest rsteiner0609

Hello all -

We've made some changes based upon everyone's feedback and addressed most of the issues. Regarding the runtimes - this is just a mix-up; we'll add the exact runtimes soon.

We've gone to lengths to clarify the US and Canadian schedule - just click on these different links to view our new schedule in either the domestic US or Canadian schedule versions. This is true for the full month and week views for each as well.

As for time zones beyond Eastern, we will add these in later, but it will likely be after the year.

Some people have complained about the genre icons. If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, just hold your mouse pointer over the icon, and the description will appear. If you are using Firefox, we will have this same feature available soon.

And for anyone who hasn't discovered this - you can click on nearly any title in the schedule and it will take you directly to the Movie Database page - where there is an exact runtime, full cast, and a substantial amount of information on the title - more than ever before on TCM's web site. We encourage you to click on these links and read the database record, write a review, and explore the database.

We hope these changes help - we'll continue to make some improvements over the next few days. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. Best,

TCM web

Thanks for replying tcmweb1.

> the runtimes - this is just a mix-up; we'll add the

> exact runtimes soon.

That's a relief!

> As for time zones beyond Eastern, we will add these

> in later, but it will likely be after the year.

Luckily I saved the old html for the printable Canadian/Pacific schedule for December, so I can refer to that for the rest of the month. (If any Canucks want me to email it to them just private message me). Glad to hear all the timezones will be back for January.

> We encourage you

> to click on these links and read the database record,

> write a review, and explore the database.

Pretty cool database... although I just tried submitting a review and got an error page. Guess you're still working out some bugs there.

Guest rsteiner0609

We have been testing the database for any errors, but have been able to post reviews just fine.

If anyone has had problems logging in or submitting reviews, would you please post them in the Technical Issues section...this would help us.

If you can include when the error occured, what internet browser you are using and if you are on PC or Macintosh, we would appreciate this additional info. Thank you!

TCM web

> We have been testing the database for any errors, but

> have been able to post reviews just fine.

Lucky you! I've tried 4 times over the course of the day (for 2 different movies) and it's just not working for me. I'm giving up for now...maybe I'll try again in a week and see if the bugs have been worked out. Oh well, there's always the Internet Movie Database! (Sorry, that was cruel) ;)

> If anyone has had problems logging in or submitting

> reviews, would you please post them in the Technical

> Issues section...this would help us.

I did... no response yet. Hey, by the way, on the issue of logging in... I do hope that one of the changes you guys are planning, will be to allow us to automatically login to the website. It's a pain having to type in my password every time I come back - it would be nice if the site remembered my login info. All the other message boards I've registered for, have that option, so I'm surprised this one doesn't. Since you're making all these other changes to the TCM site, I thought I'd suggest one that could actually be useful.

One of the most valuable services from the website that I have used has been to print a monthly schedule and do so a month or two in advance. While that is still possible, I hope there can be some tweaking to the process.

I browse with the text size for my browser set to medium but always changed it to smallest when I printed out the monthly schedule and it would print out a complete schedule for a month on about 16 to 18 pages. With the new pop-up style window containing the schedule for printing purposes, changing the text/font size is no longer available without the toolbar (IE Explorer) at the top of the pop-up window. The complete schedule for January would take about 49 pages of paper to print.

Fooling around I did find out that if I change the text/font size on the web page (turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/index page) before clicking on the "next month" link to launch the pop-up style window, it will print the month's schedule in a smaller font but it still 36 pages long. That's still twice as big and twice as long to print it out. Does it really need to be that big/long? There is a lot of white space on the printed page in the current option.

I know the staff is going to address the lack of time zone options on the "print schedule" option. Hopefully the text size/layout of the format for the print option can be adjusted for more economical and efficient printing too. That is my Christmas wish. I would thank you and so would my internet deprived friend at work for whom I print a schedule every mointh.

Thanks for your time and consideration and a wonderful winter holiday to you all -whichever ones you celebrate at home.

Kyle in Hollywood

I also noticed that the text is bigger than it used to be, and the formatting doesn't make best use of the space. It's a shame that people have to waste all that extra paper and ink cartridge. If I were of a more suspicious, cynical mindset, I'd almost suspect that TCM is trying to deter folks from printing out the schedules, so as to increase subscriptions to their Now Playing Guide. But that couldn't be it, surely! :P Alas, I can't think of another reason for making the schedules so unwieldy when they were perfectly convenient as they were.

Why even have a printable option at all? I reckon the outcry would be too huge if they removed it altogether. Then it would be too obvious they're trying to force people to pay for a viewers' guide. But they'll make the online schedule such a pain to navigate and so inconvenient that it's practically useless! Have any of you visited zap2it or tvguide's website? Same sort of thing. Not very user-friendly. It's free...and you get what you pay for, right?

I wish I could be as polite as Kyle in Hollywood, but I'm pretty **** off about this whole thing. I wish we could get the old website back - but they picked the perfect time to wreck things - Christmas is the season of greed and buying & selling, after all.

Kevin,

I'm on-line virtually all the time--laptop on a table here by the sofa, cable internet connection, so it's fast.

I'm used to pulling down the bookmark to "TCM Schedule" and having one page appear in a second or two: a list of all the movies that day, director, short cast list, short description of the movie. All there, without my having to go to any other page--or, as it stands now, pages--to get that information.

This is vastly preferable to launching the e-mail software, hunting through many folders to find a TCM folder, finding the right e-mail (among the many newsletters and other TCM e-mails--and how come the "monthly" newsletter comes more than once a month?), then hunting through a multipage(?) e-mail schedule for that day's movies. (And hoping no celebrity has died recently, resulting in schedule changes that won't be on the e-mail.)

(Since I've never seen an e-mailed monthly schedule, I don't know what the format's like. I just know it doesn't seem sensible to have to hunt through a long schedule when I only want to see 1/30th of it. Or 1/31st. Or whatever.)

I don't mind a redesigned Web site. I really don't. But I don't see the advantage of providing less information for users. Ideally, the day's schedule ought to have enough information to be useful to viewers. I'm a very "basic" schedule user: I'm not worried about time zones (I'm Eastern), Canada-vs-US listings, precise runtimes, etc. I just want to know what's on when, who's in it, and what's it about...and I can no longer get that very basic information on the daily schedule page. When my local newspaper gives more detail about TCM's schedule than TCM's schedule page does, there's something wrong.