Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers

bansi4

Just saw the year end annual spot "TCM Remembers" in which the late performers of the past year are featured.

As usual TCM does a commedable job to a tune relating to the subject. We lost many essential players as TCM reminds us of the loss, including Teresa Wright, Harold J. Stone, Anne Bancroft, Richard Prior, Sheree North, Marc Lawrence, Barbara Bel Geddes, Jean Parker, etc. Plus those important and talented individuals from behind the camera.

A sad reminder indeed since we are losing too many.

Mongo

Thank you, for starting the thread, Mongo.

Being off today, I've been glued to the Irene Dunne movies, and this site, so happily I also caught the year-end tribute. I must say I miss the warmth of past years' presentations, but they covered a wide variety of personalities. I had forgotten we lost so many. Maybe if they'd read the 'Gone but not forgotten' thread, there would have been many more nods to those we lost, instead of 'thought-provoking' shots of phones, floors and toilets..hmph. Or maybe used those precious moments to show a few stills from the various movies associated with the actors/directors/writers/technicians, etc presented. Heck, they know my email. They coulda asked. lol. But, overall, as always....nice job TCM.

Message was edited by:

stargzn

I caught the annual tribute today as well. We really did loose a lot of wonderful people, including Ernest Lehman, who I didn't realize had passed away.

And stargzn, I too was a little puzzled by the shots of a toilet, phone, lit cigarette, etc. Odd to say the least. It seems to me the whole tribute revolved around a woman in a motel. What that has to do with the loss of people in the entertainment industry, I do not know. I guess it was supposed to be "avant-garde," but to me it was just a little disrespectful. Having a nice song and shots of each star is sufficient for a tribute. Save the "motel montage" for something a little less solemn.

I'm beginning to wonder if all those scenes panning various household items are connected to films that the late stars were featured in?

I'll have to pay close attention next time it is aired and try to get the gist of it.

Did I play for the bears? Only once. When they were chasing me through the woods.

Mongo

Well, that's certainly a different take on the usual montage.

Very arty, not sure what they were going for with all the close ups in the motel room. At least with the "home" montage they are all connected by the angel's wings ala "Wings of Desire". Is this one that far over our heards?????

At first I thought it might all connect to Anne Bancroft but then I thought why would her death be more "important" than any one else in the montage.

Up till now, I have always enjoyed the TCM montage to the one the Oscars do every year.

This year, I'm curious to see what the Oscars do.

Usually I like it when TCM gets creative with their ads/promos, etc... I LOVE the "Make It Home" ad, for instance. But this time I think they crossed the line from artistic to...artsy-fartsy and pretentious.

> Maybe if they'd read the 'Gone but not

> forgotten' thread, there would have been many more

> nods to those we lost, instead of 'thought-provoking'

> shots of phones, floors and toilets..hmph.

Oh, stargzn, you really cracked me up! :) I completely agree with you. The motel room shots were distracting and, in my opinion, unnecessary. After all, style is nice to have, but it shouldn't take the focus away from the substance/content/point of the piece. Personally I was puzzled by this montage, rather than moved. That's not good.

I must say I agree with crispycomment. I was puzzled rather than pleased with the TCM tribute. Each year I look forward to seeing this and remembering those who have passed away. But not only did I feel the music was inappropriate, I thought the hotel/motel montages were somewhat bizarre. TCM has done such a wonderful job of honoring the people who have contributed to the film industry over the years that it was a disappointment to see this year's tribute.

I too was confused about tribute and hotel room. Someone said Anne Bancroft but maybe it was Janet Leigh(Psyco) Didn't her character write something on a piece of paper and flush it down the toliet. I don't know anymore than you do but I heard somewhere that Hitchcock really wanted that seen because it was taboo to show it.

This imagery is ridiculously inappropriate to the point of being offensive. The fact that one of the "honorees" is Linda Martinez (TCM Young Film Composer winner) who suffered from depression and committed suicide this summer makes me wonder who's minding the store at TCM. Bob, are you there?!

Traglin,

<< This imagery is ridiculously inappropriate to the point of being offensive. >>

Excellent point and one that should be heeded by TCM. Considering that we are talking about those who have passed away this year, Traglin is 100% correct.

I was doing what I usually do, which was channel surfing and I hit TCM at the very beginning of this piece, and it grabbed me. Very, very good. The song and picture montage were right on. Drop the subtitles and it's the best music video I've seen in years. A great way to attract a new and perhaps younger audience. On the strength of this one segment, I stayed through the One Reel Wonder and almost to the end of the Fonda-Ball movie.

I applaud TCM for trying new things and they have obviously attracted some very talented people, so yeah, let 'em loose! And yes, we all love the old movies and the people who made them, but few would enjoy seeing them in an solemn old theatre after a tired reverential introduction.

This year's offering of TCM Remembers is disrespectful not only to those who have passed - but to their family and fans as well. I hope every viewer who was disappointed and distressed by this "toilet bowl tribute" will write or e-mail TCM.

And maybe next year TCM truly will remember.

Now we've seen the "TCM Remembers" spot for 2005 too. The lonely ghost of a woman, alone with her TV in a shabby hotel room as she contemplates the faces of those lost this year. It seems so somber, haunting and lonely. Depressing thoughts in a depressing room.

But aside from that, was there a shot of Linda Martinez, (winner of the "Young Composers Competition" from a previous year), there among the well known faces who left us this year?

Since there were other faces, without captions, of people who are still alive or who passed away years ago, We hope that Ms. Martinez' image was shown to add context to another's story. Her talent has only just been acknowledged. Her future is full of potential. If someone so young and talented was lost . . .

We'll be watching for the next showing of "TCM Remember" specifically to note the context in which Ms. Martinez appears.

Michael,

Linda Martinez passed away last summer. I believe it was a suicide. A poster further down this thread talked about it.

Knowing that, it is one of the things that makes the images of the woman in the motel room in this remembrance very inappropriate (imo)

I hadn't thought about the connection of Linda Martinez to the woman in the motel, who seems to be suicidal. And I thought this segment was disrespectful BEFORE this point was brought to our attention in this thread. Wow, TCM really did mess up big time with this tribute. What's going on over there? I think that whatever department makes these segments and is in charge of new material needs to put under some control. Seems like they're getting a little ahead of themselves. Like I had said before, I think it's fine if they want to do eye-catching, avant-garde imagery, just don't do it during a tribute to people who have died. And if they're doing it to once again "attract younger viewers" then they should REALLY be ashamed of themselves, since when honoring the dead they shouldn't even be considering "attracting viewers." There's a time and place for everything. I've enjoyed their avant-garde montages done in a similar style that showcase the theme of the month, programming highlights, etc. Do they still do those, because I haven't seen one in awhile. Keep that avant-garde, since it's more befitting.

I thought the spot was strange I was so wanting to see the tribute and was surprised at the number of people. I also was confused the first time I saw it because they showed a face but not the name and then went back to a different face and name then back to the original. I've seen it twice and will try to catch it again. I am glad they included Linda Martinez she was a big part of TCMs running of things-giving a" voice" to the silents. Please don't think I'm being disrespectful I didn't see Janet Leigh in the tribute did she die this year? Didn't Howard Keel die this year? I don't recall seeing him. Perhaps I am mistaken and if so I apologize.

gwtw, no one would accuse you of being disrespectful of Linda Martinez's unfortunate death. What we (or I, as I don't want to speak for anyone) found to be disrespectful was the fact that their "motel scene" going on throughout the segment seemed to revolve around a woman who was suicidal, and since Linda Martinez committed suicide, I find the similarity a little strange, and a little uncalled for. But, I guess I should look at it this way - at least TCM does a segment for these stars and people that any other station could care less about.

And as for Janet Leigh and Howard Keel, they both passed away last year. Janet Leigh died at the beginning of October, 2004, and Howard Keel died about one month later. It doesn't seem like it's been a year already that those two are gone, both favorites of mine.

Yes on Eddie Albert (YOUNG photo but a great image of him) and yes on Simone Simon but the other names amazed me for I fear they are missing from the tribute. I've only seen it twice and hope to see it a few more times now that work won't interfere! I am very anxious to learn more about the music, the song and the voice... any help with that out there??

mr p

Message was edited by:

MrPilsner

Oddly, the segment opens with Sandra Dee. Immediately following the first "noir" of the, what, diner board? Then the motel, flash to bed, picture Sandra Dee - I'm scratching my head trying to recall what the heck film noir she appeared in, before realizing it was a memorial to those film talents lost this year!

TCM usually runs great compilations - not sure if they're responsible, but the "100 Years in Film" is a mini-masterpiece of intelligent editing - but this "Remembers" really bothers me.

It feels like they worked too hard to try and create the look and, in so doing, sacrificed clarity and substance in return for a sorely disjointed atmosphere. It is very difficult for me, anyway, to understand what's going on and impossible to make the connection between the background of the "unsavory story board" and the talented individuals who left the theater for good this past year.

I'm very disappointed in it and expected more.