Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers

Thank you for explaining what's supposed to be going on in this spot! I'm not too bright and kept waiting for Robert Mitchum to show up somewhere.

There is a quick shot of Ms. Martinez, Composer, and when I first saw it, I simply thought there must have been some sort of mistake made? What a tragic loss of blossoming talent.

caseytdog, you're not alone in your puzzlement. I'm still trying to figure out this segment myself. The imagery, and the whole motel thing makes absolutely no sense at all to me. And I don't know if I'm just stupid since I can't figure it out, or maybe there's nothing to figure out! The imagery might just be there for the sake of "art," and I still say it has NOTHING to do with honoring the dead.

And about the stars shown, I did see Ruth Hussey, Simone Simon, Eddie Albert, and June Haver. I don't remember seeing the others. And by Porky you meant Gordon Lee who played Porky in the "Little Rascals," right? I would've remembered seeing him, so I don't think he was in there either.

Poignant. Haunting. Achingly beautiful. These were the words I used to describe past “TCM Remembers” segments. Those pieces were dark, melting, lovingly wrought tributes to those we had lost in the past year. What on EARTH happened this year? What a jarring, utterly disappointing mess! Toilets? Tawdry hotel rooms? Relentless images of squalor and degradation? What's going on here? Instead of a somber valentine to great artists we get this pretentious, repulsive waste of pixels. How in the world did anyone at TCM contrive to think that this could ever possibly be construed as a thoughtful and honorable tribute? I hope that TCM yanks these spots immediately. Even silently scrolling the names of the departed on a black screen would be preferable to this. What a disappointment.

Hello Everyone,

Well, I just saw this tribute today to our dearly departed. And, I can't say that I'm in shock but certainly perplexed and puzzled!!!!

I understand that the "In Memoriam" segment done on the Oscars needs to run fairly quickly because of time constraints. But, here on TCM, where we should be honouring our old stars and movie people, surely there could be and hour show and have a nice portrait of the person and then some scenes they appeared in to familiarize us with their work.

Why waste time showing a bed and a toilet?

I'm glad to see these people remembered but honour them, don't desecrate them.

Larry

Have the previous TCM remember spots (as well as all the other promos and ads we see) been done in-house by TCM staffers?

Is it possible they have hired a new company to do their in house ads?

It is just so different from previous years I'm still trying to imagine what the heck they were thinking.

Have to agree with all the disappointed members.

The year-end TCM Remembers has always been such a moving and important part of the passing year.

This year it is terrible. We used to see names, whether the person was an actor, writer or technician, lovely music....this year. Terrible. I don't even know who or what we are supposed to be looking at or thinking.

Bad news, TCM. Another "inprovement" that is an awful failure. You owe everyone who is presented here an apology.

I agree with everyone that says the in memoriam is weird. I was absolutely shocked and appalled when I saw the new in memoriam for this year. I know it sounds strange, but I look forward to this every year. It is nice to see the wonderful actors, screenwriters, directors, etc that get a special remembrance each year. Usually it has been a wonderful production and honorable to those that have passed on. Please explain why the current in memoriam is so lacking in taste.What the heck does a nasty toilet and bathtub have to do with the death of these talented people? It is a slap in the face for us so can you imagine how their families must feel? I have noticed an overall "darkness" to TCM, in the past year. Is the person that is in charge of this clinically depressed? Come on TCM open the shades and put some light on the subject. Just because the movies are in black and white doesn't mean it has to be so dull, sad and dark around there! Please change your ad agency or whatever you have done because this is not working. I also noticed that John Spencer is missing from the in memoriam as well, it needs to be recut and redone before the year is gone. TCM needs to wake up and turn on the light box !

Very disappointing.

This is a memorial segment to film personalities who passed away in 2005, right? Then give us what we want---LONGER CLOSE UPS of the stars & film artists whom we lost this past year. We don't want quick cutaways to motel furniture. It's supposed to be a tribute to these great talents---not a film school editing exercise.

The song was hardly mood-appropriate. And where were Tommy "Butch" Bond & Eugene "Porky" Lee (from 'Our Gang'), John Fiedler, Frances Langford, John Raitt, Frank Gorshin, Barney Martin, Constance Cummings, Constance Moore, Leon Askin, Paul Winchell, Thelma White, Don Durant, John Bromfield, June MacCloy, Debralee Scott, Nicole DeHuff, Jack Colvin, James Doohan, Pat McCormick, John Spencer, Henry Corden, Mason Adams, and Wendie Jo Sperber?

In 2005 we also lost Bob Denver, Don Adams, Louis Nye, Nipsey Russell, Howard Morris, J.D. Cannon, Thurl Ravenscroft, Hamilton Camp, and Dana Elcar. I kind of understand why these nine performers were left out of the tribute. They seldom appeared in motion pictures and are remembered more for their contributions to television. But the performers in the above paragraph all appeared in numerous films.

One other thing----last year's "TCM Remembers" was completed too early to include Jerry Orbach & Artie Shaw. Both men died at the very end of 2004. They therefore should have been included in this year's tribute.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the whole thing was really weird. It was hard to follow and seemed more like someone's attempt at film noir than a loving tribute to the amazing talent we lost this year.

I'm having a hard time understanding all the negative comments directed at this segment. I thought it was beautifully ethereal, with a haunted quality. The omission of some late celebrities doesn't concern me. This is much more of a mood piece than a hackneyed salute to the year's casualties-I doubt if any "disrespect" was intended.

Now, can someone please confirm the musical talent? Is it Joe Henry? I've heard both yes and no.

I agree that this year's "TCM Remembers" tribute is tasteless. It should focus on the amazing talents which were silenced during the year - not serve as some type of editing practice for a film school wannabe I also agree with the earlier poster who stated TCM is becoming too dark in its produced segments - it's like some gothic weirdo has taken over the creative reigns.

Hi. I just saw this for the first time and I thought it was wonderful. I was shocked to see some of the great talents that passed away this past year. I immediately went to Google and typed in "tcm remembers" and was directed to this site. I was very surprised at so many negative comments. There wasn't anything disrespectful in the presentation. It was just the style that was chosen to present this year's piece. I've never logged on to these types of forums before but felt it was important to appreciate the fact that these people were remembered than the artistic method that was used to do so. Thanks.

I thought tcm remembers 2005 was tremendous. Haunting, and I happen tp think the departed artistis mentioned would have appreciated it.

However, what struck me most, what distracted me altogether the first time I saw it was the background music!!! Beautiful and it really set the mood/tone. I realize that wasn't the intention, but WOW!

I am quite shocked to see all the negative comments...I thought it was perfect.

Hi again. I've just read through all the other comments that others have written and must add that this is the first "in memoriam" piece that I have ever viewed, thus I can't compare this year's presentation to any previous ones. As I've always enjoyed pieces honoring those that have passed, I ususally concentrate on the people being shown rather than on the surrounding filler material in between e.g. toilets & motel rooms. True, they may have been unappropriate to the subject matter on hand, but I just didn't let that distract me from the people being remembered. From some of the comments I read, I wish I had seen some of the past tributes. Thanks again.